VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CURRENT STATUS: I'll keep this updated as the look evolves.

Well I signed the final paperwork last night so i might as well start up a thread on here since i spend so much time reading/researching/enjoying the content posted by others. For a little context I actually put a deposit down on this car on March 28th, 17 prior to the Canadian roll-out of the VW diesel settlements assuming it would only take a month for someone committed such as myself to get through the process. Wrong. Since that point I've been "patiently" waiting for information and for all steps to be complete. Not certain of the process in the US, but in Canada the third party hired to manage this process (Rice Point) is useless. Huge lack of information being communicated, questions answered are vague and or, dare i say it lies, and long waiting periods with sporadic updates. Finally received my appointment notice two nights ago and I'm now booked to exchange keys on July 17th, 2017. Went to the dealer last night to chat, sign the final amounts and see the car again. Really looking forward to having AWD as we deal with a ton of snow for a few months of the year up here. Also cool to have two VW's with a hatch and 4motion in the garage.

I'll be trading in my trusty 'Daily Driver', 2014 JETTA TDI Comfortline, which for the US guys on here is a mid-level trim package. Truly enjoyed this car and without all these extra incentives i would have entertained the "fix".

Most recent pic i have on my computer currently.
EDIT: FORMER DAILY

If anyone is interested, my 'Sunday Driver' is a 2004 VW .:R32

Thread for the .:R can be found here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7872266-R32-refresh

I'll be looking to slowly add to the car once received with an OEM+ theme that i apply to all my previous cars, which now counts at 13 vehicles and 9th VW. This thread will help me keep track, and hopefully others can enjoy it as well.

Vehicle in question:
2017 Golf SportWagen 4motion in Pure White

• Comfortline (Canadian mid-Trim level)
  • DSG with Tiptronic
  • 17" Madrid wheels
  • 4motion
  • Black Leatherette
  • Convenience Package: Panoramic roof with blind spot sensors

At delivery it will have Monster Mats, no front plate mounted, tow hook mount for plate, and be tinted. The Madrids will become my winter wheels and the Bristol wheels from the Jetta will be the summer wheels for now. I have quite the laundry list of mods i want to do, just haven't prioritized.

I'll keep this space updated with all mods added to the car:

• OEM GOLF Monster Mats
  • All windows tinted at 35%
  • OEM Trunk plastic liner
  • Ed's R Style Headlights
  • Lamin-X Yellow Front fog light vinyl
  • Lamin-X Rear Trunk clear vinyl
  • Lamin-X Headlight clear vinyl
  • H&R Super Sport Springs
  • De-badged all trunk lettering
  • OEM 18"x8" Bristol Wheels
  • 10 MM rear spacers
  • 10 MM front spacers
  • OEM Black Mirror caps
  • Weathertech Floor liners front and back (For winter only)
  • US Mill Works Tow Hook license plate mount
  • Calipers painted silver
  • APR Carbon Fiber intake
  • CTS Turbo Muffler delete
  • CTS Turbo inlet pipe
  • OEM Base Bars
  • OEM Bike racks
  • OEM Window Sunshades

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
75 Posts
At delivery it will have Monster Mats, no front plate mounted, tow hook mount for plate, and be tinted. The Madrids will become my winter wheels and the Bristol wheels from the Jetta will be the summer wheels for now. I have quite the laundry list of mods i want to do, just haven't prioritized.

Hey Slverjet. What Tow mount did you go with? I'm in Canada as well and want to do the same. I put in an order for a 2018 GSW 4Motion wManual. Waiting patiently till September.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Slverjet. What Tow mount did you go with? I'm in Canada as well and want to do the same. I put in an order for a 2018 GSW 4Motion wManual. Waiting patiently till September.
I have a couple already from Go Mini Go from different cars. I'm going to see if i can work with either of them first. If not i'll order a new one through them likely.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a couple already from Go Mini Go from different cars. I'm going to see if i can work with either of them first. If not i'll order a new one through them likely.
Oo hadn't seen that one before. Was looking into the Platypus ones that had good reviews. Not sure if the asymmetry would bug me tho. Have to think on it.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oo hadn't seen that one before. Was looking into the Platypus ones that had good reviews. Not sure if the asymmetry would bug me tho. Have to think on it.
The look is definitely not for everyone, however i like it. Beyond the fact that you aren't damaging a panel, i think it shows a car entousiast is driving the car. Just my opinion :)

Here is the mount on a few of my cars.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome aboard! I also had a 2004 .:R32. You've had some great cars! The Sportwagen will serve you well. Enjoy!
Thank you sir. I'm certainly looking forward to the usefulness of it.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seeing this true OEM look of the white GSW was what solidified the colour choice for me.

And just wow is this Vossen version ever slick.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First mod has officially been purchased. Just ordered some Ed's lights R style. Super pumped for these as they completely transform the look of the car from the front end.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another mod has now been ordered hahaha. Can't help myself it seems.

Ordered a set of H&R Super Sport Springs last night. Hoping they can arrive prior to accepting delivery and i can get them thrown in at the dealer prior to driving it away.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Well I signed the final paperwork last night so i might as well start up a thread on here since i spend so much time reading/researching/enjoying the content posted by others. For a little context I actually put a deposit down on this car on March 28th, 17 prior to the Canadian roll-out of the VW diesel settlements assuming it would only take a month for someone committed such as myself to get through the process. Wrong. Since that point I've been "patiently" waiting for information and for all steps to be complete. Not certain of the process in the US, but in Canada the third party hired to manage this process (Rice Point) is useless. Huge lack of information being communicated, questions answered are vague and or, dare i say it lies, and long waiting periods with sporadic updates. Finally received my appointment notice two nights ago and I'm now booked to exchange keys on July 17th, 2017. Went to the dealer last night to chat, sign the final amounts and see the car again. Really looking forward to having AWD as we deal with a ton of snow for a few months of the year up here. Also cool to have two VW's with a hatch and 4motion in the garage.

I'll be trading in my trusty 'Daily Driver', 2014 JETTA TDI Comfortline, which for the US guys on here is a mid-level trim package. Truly enjoyed this car and without all these extra incentives i would have entertained the "fix".
Rice Point have certainly been pain to deal with. I traded in my Mk VI TDI just before the scandal broke for a '16 Golf TSI 5-sp manual, which has been great so far. Until today, my wife still had her '13 Golf TDI wagon 6-sp manual. Back in January, when the proposed settlement came out, I ordered for her a '17 Golf TSI Trendline wagon, 5-sp manual with connectivity+ package (Apple CarPlay and multi-function steering wheel, standard on the '16s but optional on the '17s). It was built in March. When the Rice Point settlement portal went live on April 28th we immediately registered and what a painful process to make progress after that. I had to contact class counsel 3 or 4 times to get things moving. Our dealer was great, not even requiring a deposit on the new car, which arrived on his lot mid-May. Finally we got our appointment scheduled for June 27th, which was today. I can say that the turn-in process took 8 minutes flat from the moment we stepped into the dealer until we had our cheque in hand. Then we crossed over to the sales side and completed our transaction. We had the windows tinted and monster mats added, but otherwise the car will be bone stock. No front plates in Quebec, so no front plate mount :)

Our TDI was truly no longer feeling our love near the end. We turned it back in filthy, 3500 km overdue for an oil change, the right front coil spring broke about a month ago, and on our winter tires (worn after 5 seasons) with OEM 2007 Passat plastic wheel covers (of one of my previous VWs) that had broken clips (figured it would reduce clutter in the garage). This winter the alloys off the TDI will be used to mount a new set of snow tires. My wife was very pleased with her new car on the drive home from the dealer, a nice 40 km drive on a mix of two-lane trunk roads and autoroute. She was impressed with how quiet it is compared to the TDI. We didn't really feel the need for AWD. The base Trendline with the connectivity package has pretty much all we need in a car. Plus we wanted to keep the cost as low as possible to maximize the benefit from the buyback. We pay cash for our cars as well, which helps keep costs down and reduces the temptation to buy more than we need. As a result, 100% of the settlement went towards her new car.

So this is what I hope you get to see soon on the claims portal:

Out with the old:

And in with the new:

This is its garage mate, my '16 TSI hatch, bought new in August '15, and now with 45k reliable km on it:

to which I have since added Ed's R-replica HIDs:

After dieselgate (and my Mk VI TDI which was a POS, completely opposite to my wife's '13 TDI wagon), some may wonder "why another VW"? I've owned VWs since my '99 Mk IV TDI, and apart from that one and my Mk VI they have been good cars (our favourite was our '04 Jetta TDI wagon; my son now drives our former 2005 Passat TDI, with 300k km and LOTS of rust thanks to a crappy accident repair 11 years ago). Moreover we needed an *affordable* station wagon (i.e. cheaper than BMW, Volvo, Audi or Mercedes) to carry our bikes and gear, and we have yet to meet an SUV that we like. That pretty much narrowed the field!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rice Point have certainly been pain to deal with. I traded in my Mk VI TDI just before the scandal broke for a '16 Golf TSI 5-sp manual, which has been great so far. Until today, my wife still had her '13 Golf TDI wagon 6-sp manual. Back in January, when the proposed settlement came out, I ordered for her a '17 Golf TSI Trendline wagon, 5-sp manual with connectivity+ package (Apple CarPlay and multi-function steering wheel, standard on the '16s but optional on the '17s). It was built in March. When the Rice Point settlement portal went live on April 28th we immediately registered and what a painful process to make progress after that. I had to contact class counsel 3 or 4 times to get things moving. Our dealer was great, not even requiring a deposit on the new car, which arrived on his lot mid-May. Finally we got our appointment scheduled for June 27th, which was today. I can say that the turn-in process took 8 minutes flat from the moment we stepped into the dealer until we had our cheque in hand. Then we crossed over to the sales side and completed our transaction. We had the windows tinted and monster mats added, but otherwise the car will be bone stock. No front plates in Quebec, so no front plate mount :)

Our TDI was truly no longer feeling our love near the end. We turned it back in filthy, 3500 km overdue for an oil change, the right front coil spring broke about a month ago, and on our winter tires (worn after 5 seasons) with OEM 2007 Passat plastic wheel covers (of one of my previous VWs) that had broken clips (figured it would reduce clutter in the garage). This winter the alloys off the TDI will be used to mount a new set of snow tires. My wife was very pleased with her new car on the drive home from the dealer, a nice 40 km drive on a mix of two-lane trunk roads and autoroute. She was impressed with how quiet it is compared to the TDI. We didn't really feel the need for AWD. The base Trendline with the connectivity package has pretty much all we need in a car. Plus we wanted to keep the cost as low as possible to maximize the benefit from the buyback. We pay cash for our cars as well, which helps keep costs down and reduces the temptation to buy more than we need. As a result, 100% of the settlement went towards her new car.

So this is what I hope you get to see soon on the claims portal:

Out with the old:

And in with the new:

This is its garage mate, my '16 TSI hatch, bought new in August '15, and now with 45k reliable km on it:

to which I have since added Ed's R-replica HIDs:

After dieselgate (and my Mk VI TDI which was a POS, completely opposite to my wife's '13 TDI wagon), some my wonder "why another VW"? I've owned VWs since my '99 Mk IV TDI, and apart from that one and my Mk VI they have been good cars (our favourite was our '04 Jetta TDI wagon; my son now drives our former 2005 Passat TDI, with 300k km and LOTS of rust thanks to a crappy accident repair 11 years ago). Moreover we needed an *affordable* station wagon (i.e. cheaper than BMW, Volvo, Audi or Mercedes) to carry our bikes and gear, and we have yet to meet an SUV that we like. That pretty much narrowed the field!
Thanks for the comments. I really have enjoyed following along with the journey others have had through the process and their reasoning for certain decisions they have made. I know for myself, i couldn't see myself in another brand. Also love seeing the difference the Ed's R lights will make. I'm super excited for those in particular!

So jealous that you have already had your appointment. I too actioned my claim on day 1 however as noted above, i'm still waiting until July 17th, which was the first opportunity to book an appointment. Luckily through this process i've established a great relationship at my local dealer. Its actually been fun showing up in my .:R and watching half the employees come out to ask questions and check it out. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the call last night that I've been waiting to receive since i started the process what seems like a long time ago. In Canada there is a 20 day'ish confirmation call prior to your appointment to confirm mileage etc. Even more excited now. :D

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere but i can't seem to find any info. Can we easily swap fog light bulbs to LED? If so any recommendations? Since my headlights are all upgraded with Ed's lights i want to match them to the fogs. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stupid Photobucket, glad i got to see those pics posted above before they shut things down. Have you seen they want $400/year now? So happy that i migrated all pics to imagshack which only charges $38/year.

Back on topic, went to visit the new car last night. Unfortunately it was rainy a lot, but i needed to take some actual pics of it.. Here she is just waiting to be moded and loved hahaha

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ordered a couple more mods this weekend. Lamin-X Yellow Fog light covers and clear rear bumper protector. We have a dog who will be using the trunk and this was a great and economical way to add protection.

I went with the yellow fog covers on my current daily and love the subtle look on the car. Here's a little comparison shot i took during install.

For any others looking to order Lamin-X they have a sale ending at the end of today, 18% off and free shipping!

·
Registered
228 Posts
@Slverjet: I'm from Canada too and almost traded in my '15 GTI a couple of months ago for this exactly identical Sportwagen (white dsg confortline + pano roof). See pics below.

The Sportwagen is less sporty than the GTI, but the 4motion and extra cargo room is great. Plus, with some nice wheels and lowering springs, you get a great looking and unique car. DSG is also a fantastic transmission. I'm pretty hyped on Sportwagen right now with what APR released last week. Turbo swap and these things become rockets.

I love my GTI (currently stage 2) and I'm keeping it until the end of my lease, but I'm looking forward to a SW next year. I will definitely be following your thread.

1 - 20 of 237 Posts