VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drake is 14 weeks old today and weighs in at 41 lbs. To me he looks skinny, but he's literally been growing straight up and not filling out much at all. He's all legs right now and is in that awkward tripping over his own feet phase.

Who me? I wasn't doing anything mommy!

Stalking the squeaky toy

With his buddy Chloe, a shepherd/chow mix

And here's a video of him wrestling with a cardboard box...not sure who wins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-_Lq5_ZKIc
Katie

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Re: New Drake photos (clattymine)

That's funny! He's really cool!
He looked like he's learning the ground and pound, but the Sierra Nevada box looked like it had a solid Jiu-Jitsu background and worked well from the guard position.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Re: New Drake photos (merckx56)

He is so handsome! Thanks for the updates you have interested me in adopting a def pup

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Re: New Drake photos (Toothbrush Song)

Nice doggy! My pup goes through tall and skinny cycles as well. He gets a knot on his head, the next day his head is bigger and the knot is smaller if not gone. It is amazing watching big puppies grow, the rate is ridiculous cause mentally they think they are tiny still.

Oh, I just remembered him from another post. Koudos for taking care of a hearing impaired pooch. I could'nt cause I yell too much
just kidding...I am not patient enough

Modified by TightDub at 11:02 PM 7-8-2006

·
Registered
1,197 Posts

Great pics and video. I am just curious, but does he growl or bark much? I know that if our dogs were tearing into something like that they would be telling it who was boss too, but maybe since Drake is deaf he does not bother...??? Anyway, great looking dog, I saw another great dane this morning in a housing community close to where I work, another "harlequin", but this one has much more black. Take care and thanks again for all you do.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: New Drake photos (GTI-n-IT)

He barks at other dogs when he wants them to play with him, and he does have a "normal" bark, but he doesn't growl much when playing. Every night he does laps around our living room...he'll be playing with his toys and then suddenly spaz out and start running, and he does growl while he's running. I'll try to get video of that, since it's really funny.

Katie

·
Registered
1,197 Posts

All of ours are barkers and growlers and Holly seems to have some sort of hound in her since she braes just as much or more than she barks. Almost sounds like someone is hurting her, but of course that is totally not the case. Sounds great about the video, our Holly does that at times, but she saves it for "special" occasions, and of course the puppy Wednesday does it almost all the time. We like to call is "puppy crazies", but Holly is almost 3.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif He looks awesome. Don't worry about the growth spurts, and don't feed too much in compensation. I know you know your stuff, but remember, with large breed dogs, kibble food has a LOT of vitamins/minerals packed in there, sometimes TOO much, so don't overdo it on the kibble. It causes bone problems from growing too fast.

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
Re: New Drake photos (Ryouko)

He's so awesome! Our boxer is all legs right now too! It's halarious how unstable they are

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: New Drake photos (Ryouko)

Quote, originally posted by Ryouko »
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif He looks awesome. Don't worry about the growth spurts, and don't feed too much in compensation. I know you know your stuff, but remember, with large breed dogs, kibble food has a LOT of vitamins/minerals packed in there, sometimes TOO much, so don't overdo it on the kibble. It causes bone problems from growing too fast.

We have him on adult dog food already, since most puppy foods have way too much protein for giant breed puppies and cause them to grow too fast, resulting in the bone problems you mentioned. There are only a couple giant breed puppy formulas that are decent, and those are pretty pricey, so we have him on a high-quality adult food instead - that way we can feed all three dogs the same food until Blue's heart gets too bad and he needs a special low sodium food. All the dane people I know have said he looks just fine, and that I'll probably be able to see his ribs until well after he turns a year old...that's just how they grow.

Katie

·
Registered
4,174 Posts

What large breed food would you consider good? I am feeding Eukanuba Lg breed puppy mixed with the adult lg breed of the same brand. It is the only food I trust based on my experience with a Neo-Mastiff (Maggie) I rescued. She was a young adult so I never had to deal with this issue. She just needed a quality food with protein for a skin condition. It cleared up when I fed her Euk. until I tried to change up. That's why I believe Euk. is good.
I want my pup to have the best for him and his development. I just don't want to make a bad choice. If there's something better I want to get it for him.
Thanks for all the info you and everyone posts. That is why I started mixing the two types of food. Too scared not to give him puppy..too scared to move to adult food.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: New Drake photos (TightDub)

The only two giant breed puppy foods I'd go with are Innova and Eagle Pack. The others all have too much protein for giant breed puppies and promote quick growth, which is bad for their bones.
Eukanuba is an *okay* food in my opinion, and there are far better foods out there in the same price range. If your dog is doing well on it however, then by all means, stick with it.
There's a great website I stumbled across while researching foods that gives you the breakdown of all the ingredients plus info on percentages of protein, etc. It really helped me find a food that all of my dogs could eat, rather than having different foods for all 3.
http://forums.dogfoodproject.c...gfood
Katie

·
Registered
4,174 Posts

Thank you so much for the info...someones diet is going to change for the better.

Found it, bought some and Tyson seems to really like it. Of course it is mixed to phase out Euk, but he definitely likes it. The link you gave was a great source of info. Thanks again.

BTW "it" is Innova EVO for Lg Breed Puppies. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by TightDub at 5:53 PM 7-15-2006

1 - 15 of 15 Posts