VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had my local vw dealer do a diagnostic on my car becuase it was acting funny and i couldent figure out what it is. i get a call from them and they tell me i need a new computer
now, i know they are probably full of it. its expensive and easy to fix. they also tell me when they put the new computer in that other problems might pop up, they dont know. this makes me wonder if they even know what the hell they are talking about. should i bring it somehwere else and get a second opinion? if it dose come down to replacing the computer and my dealer was right, where can i get a cheaper one? i dont feel like paying $750.00

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: New ECU???? (dwilkins)

check engine light or not?
the cali obd-1 models have a unique ecu thats a female puppy dog to find due to rarity.
The 90-92 models that were not sold in cali (obd-exempt) are all the same.
You can find two on ebay, and a few in the g60 classifieds. $100-150 used for a good one is a common price now.
If your car is an automatic, i might warn your that the 90 022B ecu may not work with your transmission computer. Don't ask why, they look the same, but i actually experienced this. I have a 22B,22CR, and i think even a 22CQ around here somewhere but we use them for internal development.
I know the 22B is 90 g60 5speed, the 22CR are for later models. The chips well work on all model lines (except obd-1).

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Re: New ECU???? (dwilkins)

quote:[HR][/HR]1991 1.8L G60[HR][/HR]​
Easy to tell if you have a CA equipped car.... 2 things.. you'll have a check engine light in the dash and your ignition coil will be square, no round.. if you don't have a CA equipped C, then it'll be easy to find a used ECU (for $150 or less usually)
But I would bet that the ECU is not your problem.. there are too many ohter things that would cause the car to run "funny"...
Easy ones to check --
1) blue temp sensor -- makes cold starts a pain if bad
2) ECU ground -- will do all kinds of weird stuff...it's on the driver's side of the head on one of the bolts for the water neck on that side
3) vac line to the ECU -- has to be 3.5mm inner diameter (safest to go with the dealer part for this one) and it **MUST** be 1 meter (39 3/8 inches) long. don't let the dealer tell you different...
4) ??? better description of "funny" would help a lot too

·
Banned
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: New ECU???? (Thompson)

well, the reason why they said I need a new ecu is becuase when they went to do the diag, nothing came up, meaning they couldnt communicate with it. the blue temp sensor was replaced 5 or 6 days ago. i didnt check the ecu ground and i looked at the 1 meter hose really quick but it probably wouldnt hurt to check it again. its also a non CAL car, so if anyone out there hapens to have a ECU for a 91 corrado w/ auto trans
and a non cal car, please im me! as for my car acting funny, i posted a thread a little while ago, "Corrado Woes"
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=747275

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.