VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a pic of my new engine code!!! Notice that there isnt one
. Just got back from the dealer after having them install a new long block. Old one had problems and was replaced after only 4,000 miles
. Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Re: New Engine Code! (Foomanchu)

quote:[HR][/HR]
It was more of a post that I had to have the engine replaced at 4,000 miles
[HR][/HR]​
What were you racing when it blew?

oh yeah...looks like the dealer got cheap and bought a stolen engine (since it has no #s on it)

[Modified by VWTornado, 1:53 PM 8-2-2002]

·
Registered
10,102 Posts
Re: New Engine Code! (turbowagen)

quote:[HR][/HR]My awp has the number in that spot.[HR][/HR]​
Aye, mine too...along with every other AWP I've looked at, including on that was manufactured a couple of months ago (May I believe).

·
Vendor
ID.4, 997.1
15,441 Posts
Re: New Engine Code! (turbowagen)

Maybe I am wrong, but I know the late AWW's stopped having the number etched there, presumably since the AWW and AWP get the same replacement part if you need a new engine.
Anyway, Foomanchu, nice shiny new engine. Try not to break this one, okay?
What was the failure diagnosis?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: New Engine Code! (VWTornado)

Actually it was a slow death, I guess. I made a post a while back about my clutch pedal sticking to the floor when I made hard right hand turns. So I brought the car in for them to look at the clutch. Once they got it all apart, it appeared to be a deeper problem.
What was happening was that the crankshaft was moving around down there and under cornering it would smash up against the pressure plate (hence my feelings about the clutch going bad). So the VW warranty/rep guy for my area approved a new long block. Im curious as to why a whole long block rather than a short block. Maybe it fouled everything up? The service manager took some pics to document it all, and I asked him for some copies if possible. They are going to send the old engine back to VW for them to check it out. They really didnt give me a reason, other than probably an assembly problem. This is the first time I have heard of this and am curious if anyone else has any insight as to why?
So if anyone needs a part number for a new long block I have it, maybe andy wants to post it in his *common list of part numbers* thread

·
Registered
539 Posts
Re: New Engine Code! (Foomanchu)

my early model 2001 which is an AWD does not have the engine code there at all... i think maybe VW didnt put the code on while they were in the transition mode from one engine code to another... just a guess

1 - 11 of 11 Posts