VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got the deal that was to good to be true.a 2.0 16v with a 020 tranny out of a 98 for 500
did i mention the engine only had 30k on it, cool huh
well it runs great and i love having the high 5th gear.
now for the bad news the temp stays right where in the middle where you want it but just before the fan kicks on the over flow bottle starts puking coolent, that goes on for about 30 sec then the fan kicks on. it stops puking the fan goes off and the process starts over untill its low on coolent and then start to heat up. the engine did sit for about 5 years with out running, it was in a project car and they did the head gasket before it went into the car. could they have used the wrong head gasket that let all the oil passages flow and not all the coolent passages makes one passage or so boil and cause too much preasure in the system? thats the only thing i can think of
we check all the hoses the radiator new thermostat, nothing is pluged and its a new water pump. but it does of the clutched pulley on the pump. i might have to swap that off. any help would be great!
thanks

·
Banned
5,705 Posts
First off there was never a 2.0 16v in 98. There was a 2.0 8v crossflwo in 98 however. You sure you didn't put a 16v headgasket on a 8v motor?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Re: (Pred)

UUUUUUU SOUNDS LIKE A HEAD GASKET TO ME HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, EVERYONE TOLD ME TS THE THERMOSTAT AT FIRST SO I REPLACED IT BUT THEN IT DID IT AGAIN THEN SOME DUDE BET ME LIKE 10BUCKS THAT IF I DRILLED A LITTLE HOLE IN THE THERMOSTAT IT WOULD GET RID OF THE AIR POCKET SO I DID AND IT DID IT AGAIN SO I FINALY DID A HEADGASKET TEST AND IT HAD LIKE 300PPM OF HYDRO CARBONS.
I SAY DO A HEADGASKET TEST FIRST

·
Registered
860 Posts
Re: (PDXGTI8V)

Dude, I just had this same problem on monday, I got a bad tank of gas and was in the middle of the f-ing desert before I realized it, engine was pinging a little bit and then... NO COOLANT!! I pulled the head today and the Head gasket was blown between the coolant passage and the combustion chamber therefore pressurizing the cooling system. Sucks for you, pull the head and hope there is no major damage. Good luck

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Re: new engine puking coolent (gli4life)

new engine puking coolent

bottle starts puking coolent

untill its low on coolent

and not all the coolent passages
its spelled coolant.

before you do anything drastic like changing your head gasket try filling the cooling system by taking the upper rad hose off the rad end and pouring water down the hose,directly into the head.16vs are known to get air pockets in the cooling system,causing the problem you are having.
i recently had the same problem on a 2.0 8v,filling the system this way had it solved in no time!! good luck

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the help. its 90 2.0 16v with a 98 tranny. i flushed the whole system then filled the head and the radiator and then the coolent bottle so there shouldn't have been any air plus i heated it up and then refilled it, i'm almost positive its the headgasket i gotta do the test, the only thing is its not blowing white smoke. i'll let ya;ll know what happens
ryan

·
Registered
820 Posts
Re: (gli4life)

Before you go pulling the head, try a new coolant bottle cap.

Modified by Ovey1 at 11:48 AM 5-24-2004

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Re: (Ovey1)

I am 99% sure that it is just a bad resivor cap as mentioned above. Invest the 7 bucks in a new one.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Re: (Ische)

the heads off and we beleive we might have found the prob because there is one discolored exhaust valve so mayeb it was leaking there
but also...the coolant is leaking out of the pressure release in the bottle not through the cap...are you still saying we should replace the cap?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Re: (glibobbo21)

Quote, originally posted by glibobbo21 »
but also...the coolant is leaking out of the pressure release in the bottle not through the cap...are you still saying we should replace the cap?

It never blows through the cap. If you found the true source, it may be that, but for a few bucks, it can't hurt and you have eliminated that item as a potential problem.

·
Registered
820 Posts

um well we finished the head job and the cap was bad....it did the same thing and then we changed the cap...oh well

So are you saying the cap fixed the problem? If so are you saying it probably didn't need the head gasket?

G

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Re: (Ovey1)

thats correct it still did the same after we changed the headgasket
so we changed the cap and it stopped...so i guesss the headgasket change can be considered health
tha thing is we switched the entire bottle too and it didnt fix it so i guess that bottle was bad too...figures
i dont get how the cap just failed over the course of changing the engine

·
Registered
596 Posts
wait..recently my car had the head gasket problem and it still wont run and its getting pressured air coming out of somewhere. it sound like back fire.....would it be coming out of the cap on the resivor tank and cuase the car to not start?

·
Registered
820 Posts

thats correct it still did the same after we changed the headgasket
so we changed the cap and it stopped...so i guesss the headgasket change can be considered health
tha thing is we switched the entire bottle too and it didnt fix it so i guess that bottle was bad too...figures
i dont get how the cap just failed over the course of changing the engine

I think that little $7 cap with the .49 o-ring has fooled a lot of people. I'm sure you're not the only one to change a head gasket and it turns out to be that damn cap. What do you think caused the "discolored" valve?
G

1 - 20 of 21 Posts