VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I installed my new 2.5 cat back, I have had backfire when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Gives a nice rumble when shifting above 5500 rpm. I searched and found this this seems to be a normal thing on turbo cars. Also due to the less restrictive exhaust, un burned gas passing the cat, etc... causing the problem. Is this normal??? Is there a way to correct the backfire or something I have to live with.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Re: New Exhaust Installed........Now I'm Getting Some Backfire....????? (Cosmos)

This is normal, you will be living with it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Re: New Exhaust Installed........Now I'm Getting Some Backfire....????? (KGilman)

It happens, kinda scared me at first but now I've grown to love it.
vroooom....gurgle pop gurgle....vrooom....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (lxk199)

So what are the reasons for the backfire? Since this started after the exhaust, I'm guessing that the less restrictive exhaust is allowing unburned gas pass the CAT. I have checked the spark plugs/
gapping, coil packs, MAF, all looks fine. No CEL either. Would rather not have the backfire, but the power increase is grrrreatttt.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Re: (Cosmos)

Quote, originally posted by Cosmos »
Would rather not have the backfire, but the power increase is grrrreatttt.

can't have everything

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Re: New Exhaust Installed........Now I'm Getting Some Backfire....????? (KGilman)

Quote, originally posted by KGilman »
This is normal, you will be living with it.

Im gonna have to disagree, if you are having a lot of backfires your mixture is off or you have an exhaust leak somewhere. What kind of exhaust? cat? resonator? muffler type? turbo back? replace all gaskets? Its possible you had backfires before and did not hear them. I would check the manifold to turbo gasket since they seem to go out around 40 to 50k miles.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: New Exhaust Installed........Now I'm Getting Some Backfire....????? (MRP2001GTi)

The exhaust is IX Solid CAT back. Had exhaust leaks at the clamps, but had everything welded yesterday. After welding all the connections it seemed to help a lot, but still backfire noticable only when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I guess I need to check the turbo gasket, but this will wait until I order the DP.
Thanks Guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts