VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/gals. Im new to the VW. This is my 1st VW. I just picked up a 2022 Golf GTI Autobahn 6spd in Pomelo Yellow this past Sunday So far I love the car. Ive had 1 Honda, 1 Ford Explorer, 2 Audis 6 BMW's 3 series (2 sedans, 2 coupes, 1 GT and one grand coupe. Four of the 6 BMW's were 6spd) 1 Jaguar, and 1 Infiniti after my 4th BMW then back to the GT and Grand Coupe. And so far I swear I love this Golf. Granted its not the awd but it handles great. And I miss having a 6spd. Ive wanted a Golf R or GTI since I was 18. But somehow always wound up with the other cars because of European Deliveries or something else popped up. I wanted the Golf R because its awd. However my dealer said it was still out a few weeks. I needed a car asap because my rental ran out. I had 2 months left on the Jaguar and extended the lease 6 months. But a 90 year school bus driver drove through my fence, through my bushes and totaled my Jaguar end of November. As well as damaging the side of my house along other parts on my house. She hit my car so hard that the wheels were turned past 90 degrees. And the car wound up on top of my brick flower beds.

For the last month I went to different dealerships and looked at different cars. Every car was being sold $5k to $12K above MSRP. I was looking at a 2021 Ford Bronco with a 7spd and soft top. The model was the Big Bend. No options in it. The dealer was selling it to me for $500 below MSRP and was going to add Katzkin heated leather seats for another $2000. I wound up passing on the deal because I found out when the Bronco was being removed from the truck, another car wound up driving into the rear right side. There was body damage, electric damage and he said the wheel and some other structural part needed to be replaced. So I was like no thanks. I looked at a 2021 Subaru WRX, BMW 240 series awd coupe, BMW 235 series 4 door awd, BMW 335 awd, Infinit Q50 awd, Audi A5 sportback awd in the 40 and 45 series, Audi A4 awd in the 40 and 45 series as well as the Genesis 70 3.3 awd (ridiculous lease price. dealer wanted $780 a month plus tax, $1500 down and fees for a $41,000 car). All the lease prices on the cars I listed were $725 a month and higher plus down payment, taxes and fees ( I also needed 15k miles a year) except for the 2021 Subaru WRX Premium. The 2021 Subaru WRX Premium was $3500 out of pocket total and $540 a month with 15K miles a year. The premium doesnt come with leather.

I went to 3 VW dealers here on Long Island. All 3 were selling the 2022 VW GTI's at $4k to $5k above MSRP. My local VW is Sunrise VW in Lynbrook. Sunrise VW only had 1 GTI Autobahn in Pomelo Yellow. I went there 3 times but they only dropped the price by $1500. My dealer is a young 21 year old guy. He kept saying that VW will only make 700 Pomelo Yellow GTI's for the US this year. And that its the most popular color. I love the color. But lets be real, Atlantic Blue Metallic and Moonstone Gray are hot colors as well. Pomelo Yellow is a color that really has to jump at you because it stands out. My wife thinks it looks like an unripe banana. My younger daughter loves it and my older daughter hates the color. I called the dealer and told him l just saw the car in the lot as I drove by. Then proceeded to tell him " you told me the car has been there since the beginning of the 3rd week of November. And said that color is the hottest color around. We are selling it at $5k above MSRP and it will go faster than anything we have". Then said Marc the car is still on the lot. Tomorrow will be Jan 3rd and thats the end of month for you guys. I then told him Ive never paid or based my leases on MSRP but understand that because of the pandemic dealers are trying to make as much as they can as well banks raising their money factors on leases. I told him if you give me the the car for MSRP Ill swing back around and take the car. He said there is no way his manager will allow that. I said Ill come in and lets see what happens. After going back and forth for 30 mins. They gave me the car for $1000 above MSRP. I call that a win since they wanted $5k above MSRP. The other 2 Long Island dealers wanted $4k to $5K above MSRP (and only 1 other I spoke to had the Autobahn). In addition my Audi S5 Sportback rental ran out that my insurance company was paying for. The insurance rental ran out 2 weeks ago but I kept it because I needed a car. Didnt realize how much I was going to be charged. When I returned it this past Monday I was billed $1315 for 2 weeks.

Yes I wrote an entire thesis. I apologize for that. However Im excited about this car and never realized how much fun VW's were. The only other VW I drove was a 1964 VW Bug down in Florida when I went to military school. And wound up taking my road test in a brown bug with light beige interior in a 4spd. I had to learn how drive a manual 2 days before my road test. My only gripes are about the infotainment system and the keyless entry. I like how the infotainment system looks without any knobs and how its supposed to work. But sometimes when a song plays, and the car hears certain words. Its jumps to Android Google Maps. I also found that the area that runs right at the edge of the 10 inch screen is a bit sensitive. When I was going to change something on the screen and my finger got to close to that area. Those touch buttons were activated. Im also not the biggest fan of the keyless entry. Getting into the car it works perfectly. But when its time to lock the doors. sometimes I can lock the door with one swipe. Yet other times I have to swipe 2 to 3 times. If the doors dong lock after 3 swipes I use my key fob. I checked and I have the new software and hardware in the car. But it still has a few hiccups. Maybe the more I use the car, those issues could go away.

One other thing Im not a fan off. And this is because I live in Long Island and have to travel to Brooklyn for work everyday. I dont like the 19 inch wheels with the 235/35/19 summer tires. The summer tires will suck in the snow. And the fact that they have a 35 aspect ratio with a 19 inch wheel, Im afraid I will bend these rims and blow tires. I got my Jaguar December 2019. From that time until 2 weeks before the car was totaled. I went through 2 wheels and 13 tires. Yes 13 tires. Each of the original OEM tires were replaced with a used all season tire due to nails and pot holes. Then Feb 2021 I drove through a construction area and ran over 2 nails. The front right tire needed replacing. But since the other tires were used they needed replacing too. I bought 4 Michelin Crossclimate tires 225/45/18 tires in Feb. June I hit a pothole and bubble appeared on the front left driver side. Two weeks before the car was totaled I hit a pothole and blew out the the tire with the bubble in in LOL. It took me 45 mins to get home. I got a used tire to replace the Michelin. So now Im looking at 18 inch wheels to buy. Most likely Ill go with a set of 18x8.5 inch wheels and get the Michelin Crossclimate 2 tires along with 4 tpms sensors. Im figuring out what tire sizes to get. And I already ordered the Deutsch Auto Parts short shifter which should be arriving either tomorrow or Friday. Im also looking at 034 MQB adjustable rear sway bar, 034 MQB rear sway bar end links and the 034 MQB adjustable front sway bar end links. After that I will look and see what others have done to their cars and get some advice other mods. Again sorry for the long winded thesis.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congrats, sounds like you did the best you could dealwise. Winter tires are a must here imo. Got stuck on the road last year on that big surprise storm and it was a nightmare. Btw you will not need tpms sensors.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats, sounds like you did the best you could dealwise. Winter tires are a must here imo. Got stuck on the road last year on that big surprise storm and it was a nightmare. Btw you will not need tpms sensors.
Why wont I need TPMS sensors? Doesnt the car come with TPMS sensor in each tire/wheel? Or is there some other way the car knows what the air pressure is in each tire? The reason I mentioned getting another set of TPMS sensors is because if I wound up getting the 18 inch wheels and new tires. I didnt want to have to pay to remove the tires off of the 19 inch wheels. Then remove the TPMS sensors (if the car comes with them). Then pay to have those 19 inch tires put back on the wheels. And also pay to have the new tires mounted and balanced on the 18 inch wheels with the oem tpms sensors. Unless I have no clue what Im talking about and technology has jumped further ahead without me knowing anything about it LOL.

I suck at acronyms as well as certain sayings. As well as upgrade parts to VW's If we were talking about BMW's I would understand. But even with BMW's since I havent one in 3 years and the BMW before my Jaguar was a 335xi Grand Coupe. It wasnt a 6spd and I only did 3 or 4 cosmetic mods. So Im not even up to par on BMW mods LOL. What are dog bone inserts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Right, on my mk7 it uses the abs system for monitoring changes in tire pressure. Dog bone inserts remove slop in the drivetrain/reduce wheel hop. look up 034 dog bone inserts for details.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Congrats and safe travels..
FWIW:
I have a set of 17" OZ Ultraleggera rims in excellant condition that I may be selling, shortly.
In Huntington, Long Island.
Many roads here are in sad shape. I would recommend the 17" profile over the 18" for winter (taller sidewall to cope with
hidden potholes)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, on my mk7 it uses the abs system for monitoring changes in tire pressure. Dog bone inserts remove slop in the drivetrain/reduce wheel hop. look up 034 dog bone inserts for details.
So youre saying I dont need TPMS sensors? Thanks for the info on the Dog Bone inserts. I will be ordering them. I am just debating whether to order the MQ8 adjustable swing arm and MQ8 swing arm end links. Or order the MQ8 carbon fiber rear brace instead. Can you give me any insight on whats a better option?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW:
I have a set of 17" OZ Ultraleggera rims in excellant condition that I may be selling, shortly.

FWIW:
Many roads here are in sad shape. I would recommend the 17" profile over the 18" for winter (taller sidewall to cope with
hidden potholes)
Im still debating on which wheels to get. Its so confusing. There are so many good looking wheels to choose from. I was thinking of the Konig Ampliforms or Dekagram wheels. But they are out of stock and wont arrive until around either end of march or april. Then I looked at VMR wheels. They only have the V801, V802 and V804 in stock. I like the V804 but they dont have it in the color I like in stock. I also like the V802. I really wanted the Anthracite Metallic but they only have the Crystal Black and Matte Bronze in stock. And I looked at Neuspeed wheels. I like the RSe10, RSe12 and RSe102 wheels. So Im doing my research on the quality of these wheel brands. Ive read good things about VMR wheels. And now Im looking up Neuspeed wheels.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FWIW:
hidden potholes)
Im still debating on which wheels to get. Its so confusing. There are so many good looking wheels to choose from. I was thinking of the Konig Ampliforms or Dekagram wheels. But they are out of stock and wont arrive until around either end of march or april. Then I looked at VMR wheels. They only have the V801, V802 and V804 in stock. I like the V804 but they dont have it in the color I like in stock. I also like the V802. I really wanted the Anthracite Metallic but they only have the Crystal Black and Matte Bronze in stock. And I looked at Neuspeed wheels. I like the RSe10, RSe12 and RSe102 wheels. So Im doing my research on the quality of these wheel brands. Ive read good things about VMR wheels. And now Im looking up Neuspeed wheels.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here’s mine on v802. I’m happy w them.
View attachment 146832
What size are the wheels and tires? I see you lowered the car. How much did you lower it? Did you use just springs or a suspension setup? So Im narrowing my wheel choices down to the VMR V802, Neuspeed RSe10s and maybe even the Titan 7 T-S5 18x8.5 forged wheels. My only question is would +44 offset wheels fit wheels so the tires dont rub. The cost between the VMR, Neuspeed and Titan 7 wheels isnt that far apart from each other. They range between $1400, to $1520 to $2220. I just have to see whether that extra $700-$820 for the Titan 7 forged wheels is in my budget after wanting to do other things. I may even decide to hold off on the sway bar, along with the front and rear sway bars and sway bar end links for the time being in order to get forged wheels.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
suspension is koni yellows + H&R sport springs. Wheels are 18x8.5 et45. I think that’s the most popular wheel size for the mk7. No rubbing with 235.
How much did you lower the front and rear? Why did you get the Koni Yellows and then H&R springs? I may go with a Bilstein set up. Im a Thyssenkrupp carbon wheel dealer for motorcycles. And Bilstein is the US importer/distributor for Thyssenkrupp wheels. So I would have to fill out another dealer application with Bilstein again in order to become a Bilstein suspension dealer. I had a few people who buy motorcycle parts from me as about after market parts for their cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was considering bilstein b8 but went with konis as I heard they were a little soft on the mk7. I’m happy w the konis. H&R springs bc i wanted to match those up with H&R rear sway bar. They’re about a 1.3” drop.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was considering bilstein b8 but went with konis as I heard they were a little soft on the mk7. I’m happy w the konis. H&R springs bc i wanted to match those up with H&R rear sway bar. They’re about a 1.3” drop.
Thanks for the info on the drop height as well as the info on the shocks and springs. Im not sure which way Im going. But I have time since I want to swap out the wheels. And upgrade my rear sway bars, upper and lower dog bone mod, front and rear sway bar end links. Install the DAP short shift kit. Then see how the car handles and then decide whether I want to upgrade the front sway bar. From there I will see whether I want to go with a suspension upgrade or performance mods

1 - 17 of 17 Posts