VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i ran out of gas one too many times the other day and killed the fuel pump, i am almost sure thats what it was because it was making a louder souand than usal, and after i put gas in it, it would start and run for 1 sec than die. so i have a new fuel pump, and when i was done i turned on the key and held the flapper up until i herd the fuel squeek in the injecters. wouldnt start, but the battery was weak so i replaced that with a better one. Still wont start, as a last resort i sprayed some starter fluid into the intake, but it didnt even fire once. i re-checked the fuel by listening for the squeek, and its fine. would runing out of gas damage some other part of the FI but still let you hear it in the injecters?

· Registered
20,087 Posts
Re: new fuel pump, now it wont start... (rabidroco)

you say that you heard fuel in the injectors...I don't know how one does that but when I replaced my fuel pump I had accidently switched my wires so I was drawing gas BACK THROUGH the system.
I would recheck your polarity and then I would let the system prime for a couple minutes. The way I did this was just pop the cap off the relay while it was still attached and hold down the contacts. When the pump finally sounded like it was loading up the GTI started right up.
Running out of fuel should really only hurt your pump.
Good luck,
Jason

· Registered
592 Posts
Re: new fuel pump, now it wont start... (vdubspeed)

you might also want change the fuel filter. When you run out of gas you suck up the gunk (rust,debris etc) from the bottom of the tank and cloggin it up. May not
be the problem, but a link to trouble shooting the FI system. Good Luck!

· Registered
5,398 Posts
Re: new fuel pump, now it wont start... (caragon)

I had a friend who ran his diesel out of fuel th eother day we primed it and did all the stuff you have done also, still wouldn't start then someone mentioned shooting a bit of air from a compressor into the fuel neck , we sealed the opening with a rag and put a quick couple shots into the tank this pushed the fuel or something, and all of a sudden it started. I don't know if you could do tjhis ona gas vehicle , but it gives you something to think about.

· Registered
19,087 Posts
Re: new fuel pump, now it wont start... (Jeramiah)

if it won't fire on starter fluid, then you have an IGNITION PROBLEM.
diesel engines must draw the fuel to the front of hte car with the injector pump, compresed air into the tank quickens this alot when you run it out of fuel, done that a fuel times. gas cars however do not have that problem, the pump's right there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.