VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
Re: New GB rules meaning no more GB?? (Deception)

Usually, it isn't the companies "advertising" about a given GB. It is members starting a GB through the company and talking about it on a forum. The company doesn't really get any more advertising than me saying "X company rocks cause they hooked me up" by being in a GB conducted by a forum member.
I have heard enough horror stories about some of the advertisers with Vortex that I wouldn't ever buy anything through them. A more simple solution to this would just be to set up a GB forum and tell people that all GB info should go in there. It isn't that tough to add a new section of a forum in.
One more thought for the Vortex powers that be...... stop thinking about the almighty dollar and think about all the enthusiasts that frequent this site and have made it what it is.

[Modified by SAPJetta, 11:51 PM 4-7-2002]

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
Re: New GB rules meaning no more GB?? (DeeJoker)

I understand that it is being done partially out of a sense of "protecting" the users from dishonest, unscrupulous people, but I think the users should just be made aware that any deal that they enter into is done at their own risk and Vortex has nothing to do with what happens. If people don't have the brains to understand this, then maybe they shouldn't be looking at websites and dealing with people online.
Again, I say this is more a case of the almighty dollar shining in peoples eyes. If they ban GB, then more companies will pay to advertise and they will make more money from it. The site is obviously profitable and it has become a way to put extra cash in someones pocket. Money talks, Vortex is listening. Kind of sucks for all the users though. Such is life.
Fortunately I don't get in on that many GBs anyhow since I'm broke from reading this site, but for those people who participate in a lot of them, it sucks.

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
Re: New GB rules meaning no more GB?? (campyhead)

quote:[HR][/HR]maybe another site would be willing to host these 'rogue' group buys
[HR][/HR]​
The thought actually entered my mind. It would not be hard to set it up, but I quite honestly don't want to deal with the annoyed people who get ripped off and then want to blame my site. Like I stated above, Vortex deals with this backlash as well. Big disclaimers throughout the site may be one possible cure. I would not intend said site to be a replacement for Vortex, just somewhere where people will be able to continue on like they have in the past with GB's. My server costs me next to nothing and the site would be nowhere near as large as Vortex because it would have a more specific purpose. I like it here and plan on going nowhere, but I would really like the GB's to remain. What happens when I start a competing forum where I offer free advertising for the little guys? I'm gonna mill this over for a few days and see what happens with the situation here.
Fact of the matter is this. Large companies pay for advertising. They can not afford to deal as much on merchandise anymore because they are spending money on advertising. The little guys that don't bother to advertise as much, but live by word of mouth, can offer better deals because they are saving money elsewhere. C'mon Vortex, wise up and get rid of this rule.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.