VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Feels Like the First Time
6,870 Posts
Re: New GB rules meaning no more GB?? (Sechscylinder)

Easy guys... This is turning into a flame war.
(i figured it would. I'm tired. Me go sleep now. Me think clearer tomorrow.)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Re: New GB rules meaning no more GB?? (soundzero)

I always believed in a free market economy where buyers and sellers are able to freely buy and sell things without outside intervention. It is the main reason why the United States is one of the most economically well off counteries in the world. May Adam Smith and the invinsible hand do their work and not Vortex. Some people may have gotten ripped off but the majority like 99% are happy with the deals they can find here. Most people should do research on the forum and find out who they are dealing with before any transactions. The new rules can not possibly protect the buyer, it is just a way for Vortex to make money which by all means is fine but it should not be done at the expense of the USERS thats us. We have to fight this.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Re: New GB rules meaning no more GB?? (Anthrax)

I am relativaly new here, but I think this is the F*CKING LAMEST thing I have ever heard in my life. It's so typical that something like this would happen. People start getting pissy and want their piece of the pie. ...greedy bastards.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Re: New GB rules meaning no more GB?? (DeeJoker)

quote:[HR][/HR]Easy guys... This is turning into a flame war.
(i figured it would. I'm tired. Me go sleep now. Me think clearer tomorrow.)[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Re: New GB rules meaning no more GB?? (apr_tuned_jetta)

quote:[HR][/HR]I have been on this forum for only about a month and a half. But i have been reading the posts for over a year before I signed up. I noticed in that year or so that many of these group really don't save that much $$$, maybe it is just me. It seems to be high risk to up your trust and money into someone elses hands and hope you will get your parts, I think the Vortex is just looking out for their members.

One more thing and maybe someone agrees or can clear this up...but what is the deal with people. Someone will say they want a part but thing will wait months for a GB to start before they make a move on that product. And for what to save 10%
I think that is amazing, am I the only one who sees this[HR][/HR]​
if you had read that many posts before becoming a member, and know about group buys, you would know that 10% is a very very rare group buy price drop. i have saved over 1000 dollars from group buy on vortex, and ive been on here for like... i dunno summer or something.
also, if people wait months and months for a group buy, SO BE IT. it allows people to think more about their purchase before they make it, and there's a little thing called free will... whats the big deal about someone waiting? is that a reason why there should be no group buys (which, in effect, this is doing)? vortex makes alot of money off banners and other ads, way more than the cost of running the site.
you're cut.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Re: New GB rules meaning no more GB?? (campyhead)

You guys just relax, it is not the end of the world. They are not shuting them off completely. Instead of going through some place that will get a 200 part for 125, you will still get that part from one of the usable sponsors for 140, maybe??
The guys at 1552design gave me little hint about this a couple months ago but never said the exact details as to why, but none the less...have few
and call it a night, I have this little feeling no matter what anyone says they are not going to change this

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
Re: New GB rules meaning no more GB?? (campyhead)

quote:[HR][/HR]maybe another site would be willing to host these 'rogue' group buys
[HR][/HR]​
The thought actually entered my mind. It would not be hard to set it up, but I quite honestly don't want to deal with the annoyed people who get ripped off and then want to blame my site. Like I stated above, Vortex deals with this backlash as well. Big disclaimers throughout the site may be one possible cure. I would not intend said site to be a replacement for Vortex, just somewhere where people will be able to continue on like they have in the past with GB's. My server costs me next to nothing and the site would be nowhere near as large as Vortex because it would have a more specific purpose. I like it here and plan on going nowhere, but I would really like the GB's to remain. What happens when I start a competing forum where I offer free advertising for the little guys? I'm gonna mill this over for a few days and see what happens with the situation here.
Fact of the matter is this. Large companies pay for advertising. They can not afford to deal as much on merchandise anymore because they are spending money on advertising. The little guys that don't bother to advertise as much, but live by word of mouth, can offer better deals because they are saving money elsewhere. C'mon Vortex, wise up and get rid of this rule.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Re: New GB rules meaning no more GB?? (apr_tuned_jetta)

quote:[HR][/HR]You guys just relax, it is not the end of the world. They are not shuting them off completely. Instead of going through some place that will get a 200 part for 125, you will still get that part from one of the usable sponsors for 140, maybe??
The guys at 1552design gave me little hint about this a couple months ago but never said the exact details as to why, but none the less...have few
and call it a night, I have this little feeling no matter what anyone says they are not going to change this[HR][/HR]​
uhh...
vortex is essentially a very large user base with some server originating information (hint: features) attached to it, nay, dangling from a little string. if the vortex pisses off everybody in their "collective" then it doesnt bode well for the site as a whole. this lack of group buys (again, essentially what this is, the slaying and chopping up into little bits of discounts themselves) is a thorn in the side of all of us and only very few benefit, which is totally contradictory to what vortex stands for IMO (the bring together of thousands of vwag enthusiasts around the world for a free exchange of happiness, i.e. money saving, information, and hooliganism). vortex wont just stand idly by while their stupid (again, IMO) mistake rips themselves apart.. if we get pissed off and rowdy enough, they wil change it back w/ buyer beware everywhere... i mean they cant ban all of us, can they?

·
Feels Like the First Time
6,870 Posts
Re: New GB rules meaning no more GB?? (soundzero)

I'm gonna reply to this and leave it for alone for the nite.
Anthrax- I am in no way disagreeing with you. But as with everything, there are two sides to the story. Of COURSE Vortex wants to make $$ on this one. Come on, it doesn't take a degree in rocket science to figure that out.
I have bought stuff thru group buys, and its been rewarding. I'm not knocking it. I think that the advertisers only may be a little extreme. But that is left at the discretion of the Vortex staff, of which I am not.
Besides, HEALTHY competition keeps the marketplace running. Cutting margin to UNHEALTHY levels will NOT increase biz, gang. These tuning shops are in the game to make money. Thats simple economic theory.
Relax, guys, its not the end of the world. And on that note, FINALLY my other machine is done loading XP and all its peripherals and I am hitting the hay!!!!

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Re: New GB rules meaning no more GB?? (DeeJoker)

Just to clarify something here...
Back when this site was started, putting it together was not a big deal and the hosting fees were not really that big of a deal. I know because I paid for them out of pocket for the first three years.
Now it costs us $4000 per month in bandwidth alone. There are three servers just for VWvortex that someone has to pay for and then you throw in all the rest of the costs involved in running this site (phone bills, software, hardware, personal time, etc.).
If you think this site doesn't cost anything to run, I invite you to pay our bills for one month.
Keep your comments coming in here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=314140
-jamie

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.