VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, board! Finalized a deal on an 18 4MOTION w/DSG today...picking up on Wednesday. SO stoked. Replacing our trusty 04 Passat 4MOTION Wagon with a 1.8 that is NOWHERE as sweet as this one is. Have to find a good home for her...

Today was getting my wife to NOT buy a 17 Prius V or 15 Venza...and realizing that $20K OTD for one of these is worth it - especially since the warranty will cover us until our 8th grader is a sophomore in college.

I will have many questions once I get going here, but three to start:

1) I am not into dropping major coin to upgrade the headlights, but is there an upgrade bulb that will help?

2) We need a screen/barrier to separate the cargo space for our pooch. There was a VW accessory (big as ish) for the 04 Passat, but it doesn't look like they make one anymore. I saw one on Amazon for around $150 that looked pretty tight - any other options?

3) Any reviews of Waze on CarPlay?

Thanks, all.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Congrats! It’s such a great car- took delivery of mine a week ago and have been loving it more and more each day. I’ve been looking into upgrading my headlight bulbs as well and so far I’m leaning towards these Phillips H7 replacements- direct fit and supposedly have a cooler white look to them.

Philips H7 CrystalVision Ultra Upgraded Bright White Headlight Bulb, 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1OL44G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jj-YBbMSG7HE2

Haven’t actually tried them yet though so I’ll report back if/when I do. Also considering LEDs but don’t want them to be blinding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats! It’s such a great car- took delivery of mine a week ago and have been loving it more and more each day. I’ve been looking into upgrading my headlight bulbs as well and so far I’m leaning towards these Phillips H7 replacements- direct fit and supposedly have a cooler white look to them.

Philips H7 CrystalVision Ultra Upgraded Bright White Headlight Bulb, 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1OL44G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jj-YBbMSG7HE2

Haven’t actually tried them yet though so I’ll report back if/when I do. Also considering LEDs but don’t want them to be blinding

Thanks - I will check them out. I don't need the brightest headlights...just an upgrade from crappy. Silly that a car that throws in auto headlights and rain sensing wipers can't put a better bulb in the car.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have the Travall pet barrier and it's perfect. That, and the Muddy Buddy cargo liner (that also covers the seats) are pretty much a must-haves if you're transporting dogs.

I also have one of these: https://www.sportwing.com/RBP-004-V...95I7JSLbTzTYyDEPN1FuwQmJQ584i0nRoCLYkQAvD_BwE

I put the pre-cut paint protection film on underneath it, than put that on top so it wouldn't destroy the paint if I had to remove it. This is a huge help, since my bumper would be destroyed by claws without it. This one seems to offer some pretty good traction as well. My elderly pitbull seems to appreciate the grip when he's jumping in. You just have to be careful when you mount it. If you put it too close to the tailgate, it will interfere w/the tailgate when closing.

Congrats on the new ride. I was pretty much between the PriusV and the Alltrack. Decided I didn't want to completely give up on driving--and I'm sure my next wagon will be electric.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have these in my gli. They're sufficient.
The Philips I mean.

·
Registered
53,155 Posts
.....don't need the brightest headlights...just an upgrade from crappy. Silly that a car that throws in auto headlights and rain sensing wipers can't put a better bulb in the car.
So, how have you determined the headlights are not already more than adequate?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I've been using Waze on CarPlay for a couple of weeks now and it seems to work OK. Google Maps also now works on CarPlay. I'm not crazy about the graphics on Waze, but it works OK and you can have Waze work in the background while using Google Maps or Apple Maps, so you can still get the Waze alerts. Not sure what that will do to your data plan though, mine is 6 GB per month. You can even run Google Maps in satellite view if you want, looks kind of cool.

For the bulbs, I use Sylvania Silverstar Ultra, simply because that's what's available at Canadian Tire near where I live. You won't see a huge difference but they do help at the expense of shorter bulb life.

The high beams are H9s and there are no upgrades for that, but they're 65 watts and pretty bright to begin with. The only issue is that VW aims them too low.

·
Registered
71 Posts
For my dog, I used the adjustable barrier like this-

https://www.autoanything.com/pet-travel/77A5164A3623155.aspx

Later, decided to get a soft side kennel that folds or collapses. Reasoning here was it contains dog hair pretty good and my lab is black versus those sand colored cloth seats !! :banghead:

https://dogsrecommend.com/kennels/best-soft-dog-crates/

Pet Gear or Pet Crate was what I got and it fits within the rear gate although the product codes were reversed and I ordered the med , got the large. Re ordered as large, got the medium. :D

** As for lights, has anyone found a brighter / nicer bulb for the DTR lights as well ?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Welcome. You guys will enjoy your AllTrack. It’s hard to beat for the price. We ended up with the SEL and it’s almost as nice as our Touareg.

Unfortunately our Saint Bernard is too big for a kennel that fits in the back, so she just occupies the whole back of the AllTrack and fur flies every wear.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks - I will check them out. I don't need the brightest headlights...just an upgrade from crappy. Silly that a car that throws in auto headlights and rain sensing wipers can't put a better bulb in the car.
No problem- I actually just ordered these instead since it seems like they’ll provide the cooler white color temperature I’m looking for. They should be in tomorrow so I’ll post back with some pictures comparing them to the stock bulbs once I’ve installed them

SYLVANIA H7 SilverStar zXe GOLD Halogen Headlight Bulb (Contains 2 Bulbs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079ZCG8M2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_2coZBb07HQJ8A

·
Registered
353 Posts
OP my advice would be to broaden your audience in the GTI / Golf thread as there's plenty of mods that go across GTI / Golf / GSW in your model year.

Nothing wrong posting here, but I've found plenty of info applicable to my 16 GSW in the other forum.

You may find longer discussions on each of your questions are out there.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Headlights:
I ended up getting the LED bulbs from Deauto and love them. Not as bright as HIDs, but they work great. 1000x better than the stock bulbs. Also perfect match for the LED running lights. :thumbup::thumbup:

Waze on Carplay:
Really glad to have it. It's a little clunky though as it's new. Doesn't pick up the trip everytime if you preset it on the phone. Also, so far it doesn't automatically ask if you're on a regular route (for example: on the phone it asks me if I'm headed to work/home at certain times.) I'm sure it will get better as it goes. I've just gotten used to how great it is on the phone, figured it would match on the headunit. I did get used to Apple Maps before Waze would work on Carplay, like the visual navigation better on Apple, but love the traffic routing on Waze better. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I ended up getting the LED bulbs from Deauto and love them. Not as bright as HIDs, but they work great. 1000x better than the stock bulbs. Also perfect match for the LED running lights. :thumbup::thumbup:
And no weird blinding angles etc. for the light?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
And no weird blinding angles etc. for the light?
None.

At first I thought there was. But it turned out that when I lowered my car it angled the headlights up. A few minor adjustments and all good. I check all the time because I don't want to be that guy. No glare, no blinding, just bright light on the road!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got the Sylvania ZXE Gold bulbs installed and they’re definitely a noticeable improvement over stock. Much closer to a cool white although still a touch on the warm side. Certainly nowhere as blue as the DRLs but that’s a good thing IMO. They do seem brighter with a bit more throw as well.

ZXE on top, stock on the bottom

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Cut off shots? why do people always show oncoming or 3/4 shots of headlight set ups?

Any sort of upgrade should be about properly lighting up the road in a proper fashion while not blinding oncoming cars.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Cut off shots? why do people always show oncoming or 3/4 shots of headlight set ups?

Any sort of upgrade should be about properly lighting up the road in a proper fashion while not blinding oncoming cars.
Bingo. Cut-off against a wall/garage door, for low beams, and on-road shots for low and high beams. Still, even those are hard to compare properly, the camera doesn't really capture what the eye can see. The only real test is behind the wheel, at night. And in all conditions, as super "white" lights aren't necessarily the best in foggy weather.

It's really all about performance, not looks. I'll take a warmer light that allows me to see farther especially in crappy weather, than cool looks any time.

Hint: any time a bulb has a blue coating, you are getting *less* performance. That coating is filtering out other wavelengths. Filtering out = less light on the road.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I know most folks go with HID or LED conversions etc. but honestly, the higher-end halogen bulbs work great. I have had Osram Nightbreaker Unlimiteds in several vehicles and they are a bit brighter than stockers and a little more white. The new bulb by Osram is the "Laser" which is supposed to be even better. You are looking at $60 all-in for highs/lows and even if they only last a year or two, that's not bad. I have had good longevity from mine on my current Focus with 6 years and only had to replace them once. Just another cheaper option for a little better lighting that stock.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Because it shows the temperature of the light compared to the DRLs/stock bulbs and I also hadn’t had a chance to get on-road shots until tonight.

No cut off shots against a wall but here’s a couple on the road- first is low beams only (Sylvania ZXE Gold), second is with the highs (stock)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts