VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 96 GTI 2.0 5speed. This is my first VW and I am looking for tips on better MPG what intake, chip ect. Eventually I think this is gona be swapped to a diesel. As of right now I plan on only using this as my work commuter (50 miles one way). So any info or tips for the swap are also VERY much appreciated. I plan on just going with the 1.9L but am open to opinions.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My 2.0 is stock, and if I drive under 65 I got 37/38 on a 200 mile round trip.

I could do exhaust, AEG exhaust manifold, gutted air box mod, and maybe add a type IV intake to round off the free HP mods. But the biggest thing I wish I had was cruise control to keep my speeds consistant. Otherwise I keep driving 75-80.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
TDI swap? You guys are dreaming. n00b pipe dreams. It'll never happen.

Just keep your 2.0 maintained. It's a good motor and will give you good MPG and reliability if you keep maintenance current.

Congrats on the mk3. I've always liked white on mk3s. You need better pics though.

oh and lower it.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
TDI swap? You guys are dreaming. n00b pipe dreams. It'll never happen.

Just keep your 2.0 maintained. It's a good motor and will give you good MPG and reliability if you keep maintenance current.

Congrats on the mk3. I've always liked white on mk3s. You need better pics though.

oh and lower it.
noob pipe dreams really?

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
Some quick picks of the GTI. More better ones to come.
:laugh: MOAR BETTER !!!

Seriously though, you want good gas mileage ? Best tip you can get is, leave it alone and just maintain it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.