VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Atlantic Blue GTI SE 6mt
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome! But why change from a whole different class up in power and price to a GTI? (aside from cost savings)
Thank you!

The 340i had a fantastic engine and tranny which was awesome, and it was a great reliable car overall, but just wasn't that "fun" to drive. I don't know how else to explain it. I had it for a couple years and pretty much got bored right away. I was about to go down a rabbit hole of maintenance and mods to tune it to a monster, but then moved into my new house which had a smaller garage so decided I want to get back into a fun hatchback (shorter length than the BMW by about 13") and here I am.

·
Registered
2022 GTI S Manual
102 Posts
Thank you!

The 340i had a fantastic engine and tranny which was awesome, and it was a great reliable car overall, but just wasn't that "fun" to drive. I don't know how else to explain it. I had it for a couple years and pretty much got bored right away. I was about to go down a rabbit hole of maintenance and mods to tune it to a monster, but then moved into my new house which had a smaller garage so decided I want to get back into a fun hatchback (shorter length than the BMW by about 13") and here I am.
The shorter length was a big plus for me as well. Easier to park, in my garage or on the street.

·
Registered
2022 Mk8 Golf GTI S 6MT - Atlantic Blue
119 Posts
Thank you!

Yeah, the 3-series is maybe too refined? :)

I'm coming from a ND Miata (and a BRZ prior to that), so for me, the GTI is a super refined experience. I do miss RWD and the shifter being directly connected to the transmission, but hey, this car has great space and wow is it much quieter!

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, the 3-series is maybe too refined? :)

I'm coming from a ND Miata (and a BRZ prior to that), so for me, the GTI is a super refined experience. I do miss RWD and the shifter being directly connected to the transmission, but hey, this car has great space and wow is it much quieter!
Yes hard to beat this car as an extremely well rounded dd!

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats.

I never had a BMW but test drove the new 440i. Surprisingly, I loved it more than the A5 Sportback.

How's the transition?
Thank you!

So far so good with the transition... Steering and handling are much more enjoyable along with interior/tech.... I definitely miss the on demand torque the bimmer had at any speed or gear, but I'm sure I'll.miss it less once break in period is over and I can actually drive this GTI. No regrets so far.

·
Registered
2022 Mk8 Golf GTI S 6MT - Atlantic Blue
119 Posts
Thank you!

So far so good with the transition... Steering and handling are much more enjoyable along with interior/tech.... I definitely miss the on demand torque the bimmer had at any speed or gear, but I'm sure I'll.miss it less once break in period is over and I can actually drive this GTI. No regrets so far.
Just noted you got the MT. Also, a treat to move back into a MT, I'm sure.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts