VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Met my spankin' new GTI S today at the dealership, where everything was moving smoothly. Too smoothly, it turned out. As I was preparing to zip off the lot in VW style, I noticed a rookie had mounted the car's rear-license plate frame OFF CENTER. Said so to my salesperson. Don't notice, she said. Got home and applied my trusty tape measure to the area and, sure enough, the license-plate frame is THREE-QUARTERS of an inch off center. Blow me over with a feather! How did this happen? Aren't there tape measures in VW dealerships? My salesperson says she even asked service NOT to mount that license-plate frame. It's only advertising the dealership, after all, till my plates arrive. My salesperson, whose cage I rattled this evening over the phone, says her service department will "make this right" for me. How? Will they order a new rear bumper? Or will they opt to fill the haphazardly drilled holes? Reassurance is what I seek. Oh, and a CENTERED rear license plate!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OCD, yep

From this post, I see two wrongs.

Three quarters sounds like OCD on your part.

On the other hand, you did request the dealer not to mount the license plate holder but they went on ahead and did it anyways.

You hit the nail on the head regarding OCD. I have a "thing" about frames hanging crookedly, etc. I make fun of my husband, who notices nothing of the sort. But even he, upon arriving home this evening, walked into the house and bellowed, "Hey, who mounted your new GTI's license plate holder crooked?"

·
Registered
Mk1
1,100 Posts
That's not ocd such a small area would look obvious if it's off center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. F that. Make them replace or fill and factory repaint. Have it done right.

I wish I had the option of not having mine put on at all but the dealer I bought from already mounts everything on every car that comes in. At least it appears to be centered. I haven't gotten my plates on the car yet because I'm waiting for my custom ones.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Feeling braver

Yep. F that. Make them replace or fill and factory repaint. Have it done right.

I wish I had the option of not having mine put on at all but the dealer I bought from already mounts everything on every car that comes in. At least it appears to be centered. I haven't gotten my plates on the car yet because I'm waiting for my custom ones.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I assume the dealership will make this right. After all, my salesperson urged me to fill out a customer survey with "all 10s" because "a 9 or less means fail." No pressure there, I thought. Needless to say, I have not completed the survey yet. This error wouldn't have happened if VW applied alignment dimples (for license plates) to rear bumpers.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Mine is also a little off!! I was so mad so I know how your feel.
Mine is probably off by 1/2 as much as yours (or less), but I see everything so it still bothers me. Unfortunately the big mistake that VW made is to not put alignment dimples on the bumper. What I did with mine was loosen the bolts and move the plate as much as I could to one side to help center it, I used the license plate lights to center it. Unfortunately it couldn't move enough so it is still off by a little.
My plan as of now is to leave it alone, and if it bothers me, I will buy the Volvo mount that others have used and install that.
After it's installed, the old dealer holes are abandoned (or filled with bumper plugs) and covered with the plate.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Being that every state requires a rear plate. I don't know what the big deal is. The new holes should be covered by the plate so it's not like you're going have visible gaping holes. Just remount in the proper location.

·
Registered
239 Posts
the real question here is why did you pull a rookie mistake and even let them put a front plate on to begin with

andf don't give me that legality **** either.... i live in NJ

PWND by yourself
They put one on mine and I got it from NJ. Guess I should have magically known I was going to buy that specific car before they even got it to their lot so I could have intercepted it... since they put their plates on immediately, not right before they sell the car.

PWNED by myself!

·
Registered
15 VW GTI, 22 VW Tiguan
1,913 Posts
Things like that would drive me crazy too, every time I look at the car I'd be thinking "this damn thing is 3/4" off"...
For the same reason I don't touch volume knob on the radio, because the on/off sign gets crooked if I do (I use steering wheel controls). :screwy:

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.