VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have been jurking for the past month or so on the boards as a guest. My name is D.J. and I am a 19 year old college freshman. I currently have a 1995 Chevrolet Beretta and am hoping to get a new car by march or so. Right now I am looking at 3 door VW Golf GL 2.0s. I know that it is probibly the least desireable configuration, but as much as I would lvoe one I cannot afford a GTI 1.8t right now. I don't plan on selling/trading the beretta as I am a very active board moderator on berettatalk.com, I drag race it, and I tow my jetski with it. This brings a few questions I have.
1. I understand that neuspeed has a supercharger for the 2.0... what does it cost, and would it hurt my reliability any?
2. I understand VW rates the Golf to be able to tow 1000 pounds, lik most cars, however, would the Golf tow 700 pounds of jetski and be able to maintain a 70 MPH speed on flat ground? The only thing that scares me is that on an annual trip every year there is a 1.5 mile long 5% grade that I have to drive up.. the Beretta isn't happy but doesn't struggle up it--I can maintain highway speeds, no doubt becasue of 185 ft/lb TQ.
3. Are Golf 3 doors going to cost more then the average small car to insure? I have an impeccable driving record and a CDL so my insurance is rather low for a guy my age.
4. Is the stock 8 speaker stereo on the Golf decent, for a factory system, and if anyone knows-how much does the dealer installed 6 disc CD changer cost?
I realize this is a lot of questions and I apologize, but I would appriceate any help I could get.. thanks!
~D.J.~

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Re: New guy-Hey! (berettaboi)

3. Well, my Jetta VR6 cost me only $10/mo more to insure than my previous Civic 4cyl... not sure if that's any measure of how insurance for a 2.0 Golf would be... can't imagine it'd be too bad.
4. The stock system is alright, nothing spectacular. If you have the opportunity you can find the 6 disk CD changer through different places for MUCh cheaper than what the dealer would molest you out of. I'm sure many others could give better insight to the CD changer deal than I could.. I have no changer.

Welcome, btw!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts

It would be cheaper in the long run to buy a 1.8T than a 2.0 + supercharger... Sorry I can't help you anymore
J-F

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

I can answer one of your questions... My dealer told me the 6CD changer would cost around $500 with installation; although I have the Monsoon system, an option which I would recommend... If you're really picky you can probably do better with another system and CD changer though (and maybe even save some $$).

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Re: New guy-Hey! (Jetta_J)

quote:[HR][/HR]It would be cheaper in the long run to buy a 1.8T than a 2.0 + supercharger... Sorry I can't help you anymore
J-F[HR][/HR]​
Yep....the S/C is around $3000 (I think). Probably easier to get the 1.8t to start with.
As for insuring, I know that the Golf/GTI is very good in crashes, so the insurance might not be that bad. The stock 8 speaker system is pretty good as stock systems go. The optional Monsoon is probably one of the best factory systems I've heard though (other than Lexus's Nakamichi and Mark Levinson and such).
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

If towing is a major concern of yours I would tend to lean toward either the TDI or the VR6. The 1.8T should be able to handle some light towing, I.E. a jetski. But if you're driving on a grade for long stretches the turbo might heat up a bit. If you're dead set on 1.8T & the towing becomes a problem you can always upgrade to a cold air intake & a better intercooler.
As far as the sound systems, the stock system is pretty poor & the monsoon is really muddy in mine opine. I'm thinking a set of tweeters and a cross over would do the system nicely.
The insurance question is a good one, as I'm buying a 1.8t this week & hoping it wont cost much more than my 2.slow
Hope I was able to add some good info, good luck man. J

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: TDI TDI TDI (ProfessorCompressor)

Save those extra modding bux for a 1.8T or VR6.
It has loads more fun then a 2.0 .. and everyone knows the VRs reliability is next to none.

·
Registered
705 Posts
TDI all the way!

Go for the TDI, it's only an extra $1295, it's totally tuneable, has TONS of torque, gets 50 miles per gallon AND will probably out last the 2.slow. The only disadvantage is it's a little louder and makes that desel smell...

Tim

·
Registered
213 Posts
Re: TDI all the way! (Smartass)

my 02 2.0L golf 3-door costs exactly the same for me to insure as my old car, a 95 neon ACR. averages out to $100 a month, and i'm 23 with a clean record.
if you get the vr6 or 1.8t then you're looking at higher insurance based on the class of engine. whereas if you get the 2.0 and supercharge it (and don't tell the insurance company about it) you'll still be paying the lower rate. check with your insurer to be sure though.
i listen to very loud punk rock and the stock stereo's good enough for me. i'm going to add the CD changer myself though - screw the dealer's inflated price$. they wanted to charge me $600 to install it. even my salesperson said that it was a rip off and to go buy an aftermarket one.

can't help you on the towing, because i've never done any in my golf.
good luck with whatever you decide! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: TDI all the way! (Punk42)

Well supercharging a 2.0 would be only if I hit it rich. I just don't see being able to afford one with a 1.8T plus I could only get a GLS, and while the amenaties are nice, the 2 extra doors ain't my style
Hrmm, the TDI is nice, but don't they only come with the 5 spoke alloy wheels automatically? I don't know what they are called, but the wheels that are on that Jetta at the top of the window we are in are phat, but what do they cost optional? I have kinda thought about the TDI... I dunno... hrmm. As far as towing with the 2.0 at all, does anyone think a stock 2.0 would even move it? Also, I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the word. I have an all pioneer systen with cerwin vega speakers in my Beretta and am happy with it. I also thought about the in dash CD player... I don't know this car would make me broke for a year or 2 so I had better like it... I mean I can honestly do without all the GTI goodies, although I may like them.. I mean I don't have power windows or cruise on the Beretta--so the GL is right up my alley there... the one thing I would miss is the armrest lol.
~D.J.~

[Modified by berettaboi, 1:05 AM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
213 Posts
Re: TDI all the way! (berettaboi)

Well, if it helps, I just got my car like a month and a half ago and I LOVE it. It's not incredibly fast, but I don't feel that it really lives up to its' namesake (2.slow). It's fast enough for daily driving and for cruising at 90 on the expressway.
Going from an american car to a VW... I don't think you could help but love it.

Good luck...

·
Registered
4,734 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I just don't see being able to afford one with a 1.8T plus I could only get a GLS, and while the amenaties are nice, the 2 extra doors ain't my style. [HR][/HR]​
The GTI GLS with the 1.8t engine only has 2 doors....
There was a Golf GLS with the 1.8t for 2000 and 2001 (I think) that had 4 doors though.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR] Hrmm, the TDI is nice, but don't they only come with the 5 spoke alloy wheels automatically? I don't know what they are called, but the wheels that are on that Jetta at the top of the window we are in are phat, but what do they cost optional? I have kinda thought about the TDI... I dunno... hrmm.[HR][/HR]​
A TDI is a great car with lots of potential. My advise is get the steelies, change them for some nice aftermarket ones later on. I think it's important to get what you want first, the things that can be changed, can be changed later.
A 2.0 wasn't to my liking, I would have taken a TDI instead (if I HAD to choose between the two) but my priority was fun right out of the box (with possibilities). I went with a 1.8T because it was the closest thing to my old car (performance wise) but even better.
In your situation, there is only one choice IMO : "Base" TDI GLS (no other options). Who care about the rims ? you can change them later, I did.
J-F

1 - 15 of 15 Posts