VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I'm new to this site and I need help badly I just bought a 96 vr6 and it came with two motor the first spun the main and wiped out the crank and the second was going to be a replacement and today I went to pull the fly wheel to put it on the engine stand and all ten of the bolts holding the fly wheel on are seized I need some tips on what I should do I oiled them with all kinds of penetrating oil and hit them with an impact and still haven't gotten anywhere.

·
Registered
71 Posts
and lock the crank end.

The dampener pully is keyed and of course has the large hex bit for holding the crank in position when torquing. Be sure to get a nice big socket and bar on that to help hold the crank. As said, locktite, high torque and age, they hold in tight.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What I normally do is put a tranny bolt in and an old pressure plate bolt and then lock them together with a wrench. U put the tranny bolt through the round part and lock the other open ended side onto the pp bolt. Then just find a 3 foot pipe to fit over the end of your whatever your usin to loosen (ratchet, breaker bar) for leverage and your good to go.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When someone showed me that 5 years ago I thought the same thing. I've loosened fw bolts on a vr at least 10 times I personally never had a prob. I normally tighten the trans bolt so the wrench is as flush as possible and I get the open end side as close as possible to the fw and tighten the bolt by hand. But if your gonna replace the flywheel anyways( might as well GAP has em for just about the same $ as gettin one cut around where I live), this way works wonderful if you don't have the actual tool. I'm not trying to make anyone f**k their fw's up tho, just like u say scotty, theirs always a chance that the threads in the fw might suffer but it is an option if don't have the resources and your willing to take the risk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.