VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

10961 - 10977 of 10977 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello all,

I have asked for help on another thread, but still have a cooling fan non op issue on a 91 g60. Just a bit of background: I have replaced the WP with new, thermostat with hole, rad is secondhand but clean, new fan switch, new relays, new blue and black CTS. Basically a whole new cooling system. The fan will run when grounding the after run and when jumping between pin 1/2, 1/3 at the thermoswitch. I have heat, no apparent trapped air. Flushed rad and HC multiple times. I have also checked and replaced fuse 19. Is there anything I'm missing here? The black CTS is run of the mill parts store and seems to not match resistance to displayed temp. Any suggestions of where to look next would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm thinking the displacer really wasn't damaged, they filled the groove so the apex strip would stop short and not be in the previous hole dug in the housing, flip flopping back and forth.
I am sending it out to be resealed, apex strips and new belt. good enough for this unit. I have a 1990 charger which looks decent for a rebuild but I'm going with this later gen one. The one I have with a 1999 date still intrigues me.

I received this unit back fro BBM the epoxy was secure and the reseal, new apex strips and belt should have me good to go, Robert is great to deal with. The one with the odd inscriptions and paint markings will be going there for a complete rebuild next, then shelved as a spare, what looked like a date of 1999 on it is not the date.
I still have a very rebuildable early one which I think may be the correct one for my 1/1990 build date, just keeping that as an extra. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Can I run my RV 1.8 naturally aspirated engine on the PG ECU with PG harness, using the CO Pot in the intake tube instead of the air flow meter? I'm thinking I will not have time this summer with homeowner tasks to install my PG engine. I would like to install the PG ECU and clean up the wiring getting the bugs out before installing the engine. The fuel pump relay was bypassed when the PO installed the Jetta engine. To me connected as I plan, it would be not much different than running a PG engine with the supercharger bypassed. I assume the RV ECU didn't have the same outputs as the PG for the fuel pump system. 1990 5 speed, I have time for tinkering but not all at once.
Thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
I have run a couple G0s while waiting on things

I think the belt length is something like 59”
Remove the oil feed and return lines, plug the ports and figure out how you want to filter the air going to the throttle body inlet and boost return port/ISV.

One year at Waterfest I drag raced my G0, and with a diff, race motormounts and other goodies I was super consistent and won the slow bracket. I got 44mpg there and back from Virginia Beach with my TDI 5th gear.

For the oil feed just put the oil sending unit into the side of the head.

For the return remove the hose barb and plug it with a bolt into the block or just put a bolt through the banjo fitting.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Here is one that I bypassed for a friend while we awaited his Lysholm to arrive
I want to place the CO Pot in the location of the arrow in this photo and just leave the airflow meter in place. Running my non supercharged engine with the heated O2 the
PG connections and vacuum line connected to the ECU. I'm not sure what the ISV will do without boost. I really want to get the FP relay and correct after-run set up.

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Running a mk2 intake manifold, mk2 throttle body and a turbo diesel airbox with a COpot sounds like a nice clean setup. Turbo diesel mk2 doesn’t have the airflow meter on the air box. The corrado VR6 is another air box option.

How are you going to extend the harness for the CO pot?

The ISV will need a source of filtered air. It will do fine without boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Experts... Do you think this thread ruined open discussion within the Corrado forum in general or has VWVortex really declined that much? This thread is a HOT MESSSSSSSS to search through without advanced search functions.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Experts... Do you think this thread ruined open discussion within the Corrado forum in general or has VWVortex really declined that much? This thread is a HOT MESSSSSSSS to search through without advanced search functions.
Both, unfortunately...

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Front mount intercoolers, what sizes seem to fit the best without having to chop out too much of the bumper rebar and rad support

Looking at a "350hp" type intercooler. Nothing crazy

·
Registered
420 Posts
Front mount intercoolers, what sizes seem to fit the best without having to chop out too much of the bumper rebar and rad support

Looking at a "350hp" type intercooler. Nothing crazy
What is too much ? hehe
The Golf G60 IC will require some cutting in the rad support, but if it matters to you, you do get a very clean install and it is h u g e.
There are even aftermarket ones who are deeper then stock. Not sure if they need any more modification to fit.
The problem with this IC is to actully get direct air to the whole thing, as the front is so packed. I have been thinking of making a lip behind the lower grille in bumper to push air to IC from bottom,
If you have not seen it, you can see install of it in my thread at page 1, almost at bottom. Did not take pictures of what was required to cut....

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
ya the idea location for installing an intercooler (with as little cutting as possible) put's it right behind the rebar so almost entirely blocked.

With an AWIC do you have to run a separate tank where you put ice? i need to start researching this option

·
Registered
1992 Corrado 1.8T ATC motor/AWP harness, F21 turbo and Motoza tuning.
1,382 Posts
ya the idea location for installing an intercooler (with as little cutting as possible) put's it right behind the rebar so almost entirely blocked.

With an AWIC do you have to run a separate tank where you put ice? i need to start researching this option
With an AWIC you can run a closed systems with a fill port but it will be rough if you ever take it to the track. I was planning in the future have the pump run with the fans. Kind of the after-run set up in order to cool the intercooler. A water tank allows you to add ice and route for your coolant to cool down. I was going to place the tank behind the passenger rear tire hump and use a 3 gallon fuel tank. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
don't ever plan on taking the car to the track and we normally don't see temps over 30C here.....plus if it's that hot i'm not driving the car very far anyways (no ac) and I work 10 mins from home....and honestly i don't trust the car for long road trips anyways, that's what my truck is for.

this is purely a summer/fun car project car that's been in the family for 25 years

·
Registered
1992 Corrado 1.8T ATC motor/AWP harness, F21 turbo and Motoza tuning.
1,382 Posts
don't ever plan on taking the car to the track and we normally don't see temps over 30C here.....plus if it's that hot i'm not driving the car very far anyways (no ac) and I work 10 mins from home....and honestly i don't trust the car for long road trips anyways, that's what my truck is for.

this is purely a summer/fun car project car that's been in the family for 25 years
You can do Vegeta's setup. I will be doing this set up in the future but on the passenger side instead.
1.8t awic.jpg

10961 - 10977 of 10977 Posts