VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
11021 - 11030 of 11030 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Okey, need to know exact tho. Ordering some parts right now to get the black friday discounts and time is running up..
Been googling and was amazed how hard it is to get an answer, been googling the hose, alu rad neck and the alu vr6 Y pice but they all refer to either engine code/type or original part nr.. Found one thread mention 32mm for the upper and 38mm for the bottom, but not confirmed..

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
Okey, need to know exact tho. Ordering some parts right now to get the black friday discounts and time is running up..
Been googling and was amazed how hard it is to get an answer, been googling the hose, alu rad neck and the alu vr6 Y pice but they all refer to either engine code/type or original part nr.. Found one thread mention 32mm for the upper and 38mm for the bottom, but not confirmed..
Go measure yours, calipers are a great thing. It might be in my 3.6 build thread.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just purchased a nice clean late charger off eBay, It came with a bunch of stuff: intercooler and tubes, tensioner, CO-Pot, stock pulley, oil line etc. and this odd plate for the bypass.
Is this a manufactured part or custom? No tube came with it for this.

Why would they modify the bypass like this? Obviously I’d never do to mine but I’m really curious/baffled…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
Another G-Lader Question
This displacer has very little wear but some pitting on the contact surface.
Will this be a problem?
Cleaned lightly with a Scotchbrite and oil before pic.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
As long as there’s no cracks it’s fine. Magnesium is one of the most corrosion-prone metals known and needs a conversion coat just to keep its electrons from flying away. I believe zinc, the sacrificial gold standard, is more stable than magnesium. Peep some air-cooled 911 forums, I’m sure their magnesium fans have corrosion issues.

Note: you should never use an abrasive on magnesium because it’ll remove the conversion coat. Put a thin layer of grease on that spot if you’re planning on storing it. In use it won’t matter because it’ll be covered in oil.

Vapor bags are the way to go for storing metal parts.

11021 - 11030 of 11030 Posts