VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im pretty good with car audio, but i have run into a road block today.
I installed a new alpine head unit today (ida-x300), everything is working perfect, except when i turn on the lights. The head units lights flicker, and not to the beat of the music.
so i pulled everything out and checked the power and illumination wires connection, all good.
Also pulled out the multi-meter and checked the voltage coming out of the power and illumination wire, bot a very constant 12v.
i even disconnected the power from my amp before testing to be sure that the amp wasn't draining the power .
could someone with a little more knowledge on the subject lend a hand please......

also i have a 2001 GTI, i have the upper din. can someone tell me how they got the metal radio cage of the after market sterio mounted in the GTI's radio cage. I can't get any of the tap to bend and lock it in place.
thanks for any and all help.

· Registered
1,852 Posts
Re: new headunit flickers when i turn on the lights (bills6652)

I belive that its the illumination/dimmer wire. I had the same problem and i am pretty sure that it was that wire. Just dont hook it up and it should work fine

· Registered
13,345 Posts
Re: new headunit flickers when i turn on the lights (nab5126)

Quote, originally posted by nab5126 »
I belive that its the illumination/dimmer wire. I had the same problem and i am pretty sure that it was that wire. Just dont hook it up and it should work fine

This is true the Illuminatio/dimmer lead (Orange) will not operate properly when you hook to the dimmer wires behind the dash. This is usally due to people running there interior lights dimmer than full on.
The reason being that the Illumination lead needs 12V constant to signal the diplay to dim. But when you lower the dash lights, it is no longer 12V. Lowering the right at the triggering threashold of dimming and driving around may make the display switch in and out of dimming randomly.
If you want dimming of the HU, your best bet is to tap into the parking lights. That way when they are off the deck ids fully bright. Turn them on and the deck dims, yet you can't dim your parking lights and it won't fluctuate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.