VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit lost in what to choose but I am aiming for a 4 door S Performance Package with Lighting Package. I am just here to ask, is the performance package really worth it? will i notice a difference? If anyone has this package what was your deal going for?

·
Premium Member
‘22 OWP GTI SE DSG w/ Blk Wheel/Leather
2,426 Posts
I'm a bit lost in what to choose but I am aiming for a 4 door S Performance Package with Lighting Package. I am just here to ask, is the performance package really worth it? will i notice a difference? If anyone has this package what was your deal going for?
Yes! I test drove the PP and Non-PP, ultimately I chose the PP! Better stopping power and LSD!

·
Registered
15 VW GTI, 22 VW Tiguan
1,912 Posts
I have 4-door S with LP, 6MT but no PP. If I had to order the car I would have added PP, just the bigger brakes are worth the price. I don't track the car, but why not have a bit more stopping power, can't hurt, right?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Personally, neither the PP or the LP were worth the money to me. A base S model was fine.

$1500 for 10 more hp, bigger brakes and LSD? I don't see the value. I think the regular GTI brakes are great.

...but to each his own...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Personally, neither the PP or the LP were worth the money to me. A base S model was fine.

$1500 for 10 more hp, bigger brakes and LSD? I don't see the value. I think the regular GTI brakes are great.

Side stepping the HP gain, you get the bigger brakes off the R (also the S3). A big brake kit that is basically the same will run you (at least) $1,500. The LSD is a no brainer for snow or doing any spirited driving on roads with tight corners. The 10hp gain is meh, but I suppose every pony counts.

The LP on the other hand is probably the single most useful thing I got on my car. Not only does it immediately show what kind of car it is, the swivel functionality works really well and is DAMN nice. It also incorporates a corner light (when the fogs aren't on) that as you approach a corner with your turn signal on below 20mph, it fires a sideways facing headlight bulb that shines light into the 90 degree turn you are going for. Especially helpful when you are pulling into a driveway or going down a dark road to an intersection you aren't familiar with. Sure, there are replica lights that you can buy, but those don't have the swivel or corner lights in them. And to get an OEM set later costs upwards of $3500. That is BY FAR the single most notable thing I have on my car. I've had people stop me and ask what kind of after-market kit it is so they could put one on their cars. All are surprised when I say it's factory.

At minimum, get the LP. You'll regret it later if you don't.

As for the S with PP, right now, unless you find one sitting on a lot, they are order only. VW wants the S to be their budget/entry level, and the SE/AB to be the big sellers (more profit), so they aren't producing anything but the S base to ship to lots.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As crm-vr6 pointed out (and as discussed in another thread), an S with PP and LP will be difficult to find and likely will require some waiting.

As to whether the PP is worth the price, $1,500 spread out over a 3-year lease or 5-year finance term ends up being pretty de minimis. I personally am glad I got it and noticed a difference when I test drove a PP and non-PP.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I hope you find what you're looking for. All those options on an S are pretty hard to find. DSG or 6MT?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

I say why get a Gti at all...

Just get a stripped down golf

What why get a golf just get a fiesta

Fiesta thats a waste...

Just get a fiat

Fiat?

Just walk lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts

you wont see the value in a pp unless you actually drive the car. lsd is priceless and the base brakes on the gti are laughable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The performance package is nice, but in no way is it essential. The bigger brakes are the most noticeable difference as these things stop quicker than my 335i did. As a matter of fact, its a little bit too sensitive and makes it difficult in city driving. The diff really only makes itself known when you are hitting a turn hard and avoid the usual understeer (it still feels less natural than an open diff RWD, but you can get on the gas quicker into a turn than a usual FWD car). The tune is pretty much inconsequential.

The lighting package does make the car look a lot more upmarket. I am always a fan of HIDs and I don't think I could go back to halogens. Again, this is a matter of preference.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I wasn't going to get the PP because since I am not really racing around that often, I figured that the extra HP and brakes would not be used that much by me. What changed my mind was the LSD since that can be handy for everyone to at least some extent, plus it would cost around that much just to get an aftermarket unit installed. Throw in the brakes and hp as gravy on the deal and it made sense enough for me to spring for it.

·
Registered
26,758 Posts
If you are just commuting in it and don't drive it enthusiastically? The regular GTI brakes will likely be fine.

For me, there is no such thing as too much brakes. It was one of the main reasons I went with the PP (as well as the VAQ diff).

Note that the PP pads are more aggressive and produce a fair amount of brake dust, something the OEM pads on my Mk6 GTI never did. Weekly cleanings will be a necessity.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was torn on the PP as well. Ended up not getting it due to availability. White SE 4 door with LP were extremely hard to come by...that combo with the PP was nearly impossible. After much research, I was honestly happy with not getting the PP. I can't say it wouldn't be a nice add on, and as others have said...The brakes are the real gain. the LSD is nice, but won't be realized in *most* driving. The xds+ system is actually pretty good as well.

Moral is, like others stated...its not a deal breaker by any means, but worth nabbing if it's available in the configuration you want.

One day those features will be standard.

·
Registered
229 Posts
OP, as many have said the PP and LP are two things that would be great to have and if you can find them or are patient enough to wait on an order then it would be worth it. However both options tend to be rare on an S Base model individually so finding them together is just that much more difficult.

I personally have an S model in Night Blue Metalic and originally I was intent on LP but none could be found within a 500 mile radius at the time so I ended up getting a stripped down model. I have to say that the car performs wonderfully as a Dailey driver and I don't ever find myself in need of much more. My only wish is a LP but I will be purchasing an aftermarket kit in the near future. All this to say if you can find what you're looking for then get it, if not I don't think it will be the end of the world. The GTI is a great car and I think you'll be happy with the purchase regardless. Plus it's always fun to add things later and wrench around!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.