VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Re: new HU with out new speakers (gizo)

quote:[HR][/HR]Is this possible? getting a new HU with out buying new speakers? Will I be able to hook up the HU straight into the factory monsoon amp?[HR][/HR]​
Yes ... just make sure your new HU has an internal amp.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Re: new HU with out new speakers (GTakacs)

GTakacs,
Is there a thread link you can point me to for the procedure? I'm also swapping a new HU into my 2002.5 Jetta and hooking it up to the factory Monsoon speakers and amp.
I need to know the assignment of each of the color coded wires in the Metra 70-9003 harness. I'm hoping, from all the threads I've read, that this will be a plug-n-play deal. I don't want to rewire each speaker or run additional wires to the amp. Thanks for your assistance.

[Modified by Tornado20v, 6:43 AM 1-31-2003]

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Re: new HU with out new speakers (Tornado20v)

Tornado20v,
The Metra 70-9003 will have the color coding on it with explanation. You can only use the 8 speaker connections (4 signal, 4 ground), the ground connection and the constant +12V on it. You will also need to get your own ignition signal and illumination signal from the fuse box as these are communicated to the stock HU via the CAM bus and your aftermarket HU will not be able to utilize it. The factory HU has a connector diagram label on it that you can use to mix and match the speaker wires. On the original harness the ground wire is the thich brown wire and the constant +12V is either of the two thick red/white wires.
Other than that it should be a straight forward install. Note that the information above is for MKIV with the double DIN HU. For single DIN you will have the proper illumination and ignition wires in the orignal harness, the colors might change of the wires and I don't know any of those. Here is a pic of the fuse box showing the fuses that I used. Your mileage might vary.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.