VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't see this posted in here, but anyone else less than thrilled with the new changes?

Copied from an email I received this morning:

Important information about Maryland registered historic vehicles

Dear Historic Vehicle Owner,

As the owner of a historic vehicle, we want to make you aware of legislation passed by the Maryland General Assembly that goes into effect on Saturday, October 1, 2016. It is important to know that this legislation will impact how historic vehicles may be operated.

Effective October 1, 2016, a Maryland registered historic vehicle may no longer be used for transportation to and from employment, school, or for commercial purposes.

In addition, historic vehicles with a model year of 1986 or newer may be subject to safety equipment repair orders issued at roadside by law enforcement.

Thank you for your compliance with this new Maryland law.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I've had many vehicles over the years registered as historic...I honestly don't have a problem with this as it will keep most of the junk off of the road that people use the no inspection loophole for. I was actually surprised several years ago when they relaxed the historic registration from 25 years old to 20 and changed from parade/show/minimal use to letting people get away with turning them into daily drivers. It is a bummer that they're tightening the reigns again, but keep in mind that Maryland's historic registration is still a lot easier than many other states!

A few of my historic registration toys...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Got the same letter.. So, anyone feel like buying my old bug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my main concern is the inspection part. no way my car will pass inspection, and all it's going to take is one time getting pulled over and the car will be off the road, and un-sellable because no one will be able to register it until 2018.

I'm also concerned about how they will determine where you are going and how often you're driving your historic car.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
my main concern is the inspection part. no way my car will pass inspection, and all it's going to take is one time getting pulled over and the car will be off the road, and un-sellable because no one will be able to register it until 2018.

I'm also concerned about how they will determine where you are going and how often you're driving your historic car.
What won't pass inspection? If it's something truly safety related, it probably shouldn't be on the road anyway... That said, I know that there's lots of stuff that is part of the inspection process that they really won't give you any trouble for unless it looks blatantly unsafe.

Now the biggest dilemma....do you take it to H2O this weekend where the O.C. cops will be on people like flys on poo? :banghead:

As with most laws, we can thank the jerks that have taken advantage of the current ones by register some crap-box 82 caprice as "historic" or "street rod" just to get around the safety thing and using it as a daily driver.... :facepalm:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, that didn't take long. got popped by one of Baltimore County's finest this morning for what he called my "excessively loud exhaust". It wasn't even that loud, I was doing like 30mph downhill cruising in 4th gear.

got a nice repair order that I have 10 days to take care of.

10 days, on a motor swapped catless car. yay.

he also checked to make sure all of my lights, horn, signals and wipers all worked, which they all do.

At least I didn't get the $140 ticket for driving my historic tagged car to work.

might be time to sell...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Loophole: found.

Re-registered the car as "Street Rod" instead of "Historic" today. No inspection required for those, still. Thankfully my car is over 25 years old and is heavily modified from stock, 2 requirements for Street Rod tags.

Now all I have to do is show the state police the car is now registered as street rod and the repair order goes away.

Today turned out to be a good day after all :)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Didn't see this posted in here, but anyone else less than thrilled with the new changes?

Copied from an email I received this morning:

Important information about Maryland registered historic vehicles

Dear Historic Vehicle Owner,

As the owner of a historic vehicle, we want to make you aware of legislation passed by the Maryland General Assembly that goes into effect on Saturday, October 1, 2016. It is important to know that this legislation will impact how historic vehicles may be operated.

Effective October 1, 2016, a Maryland registered historic vehicle may no longer be used for transportation to and from employment, school, or for commercial purposes.

In addition, historic vehicles with a model year of 1986 or newer may be subject to safety equipment repair orders issued at roadside by law enforcement.

Thank you for your compliance with this new Maryland law.
In addition, i hear that a historic vehicle only can be driven in a parade, or to an event. So for me driving to the park with my pet during the week on a nice sunny day is not allowed. Also Summer an Fall road trips as well. Sunset runs to the waterfront in my area. This is my hobby. I feel like it being taken away. :banghead:

Where i live in Ann Arundel County local zoning law make things more complex.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Loophole: found.

Re-registered the car as "Street Rod" instead of "Historic" today. No inspection required for those, still. Thankfully my car is over 25 years old and is heavily modified from stock, 2 requirements for Street Rod tags.

Now all I have to do is show the state police the car is now registered as street rod and the repair order goes away.

Today turned out to be a good day after all :)
Does the car have to carry to more costly insurance ?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I have a total of four cars with tags on them. Two are regular tags for which I had the cars pass a legal inspection, and two are historic. One of the historics is my 81 scirocco which is in really nice shape and shows that I am not trying to skirt the rules. The other is my Audi 4kq which is my property golf cart/garbage runner/beach runner. It IS beat the hell up and would not pass any sort of inspection(especially for noise...lol)

If I am given a ticket for driving my historicly tagged cars at "innappropriate" times, my plan is to go to court with a plea to drop the charges because I have other cars with regular tags, I just chose to drive the historic car instead. I feel that this law is mainly to nail down the folks who are abusing it and that I am not one of them. The Audi, OK, I'll put a friggin muffler on it,/make it pass inspection, no biggie. But I will fight tooth and nail of someone tells me I can't "excersize" my Scirocco by simply driving it to the grocery store or to my office.

I like having historic tags on my cars, it shouldn't be made this difficult for the enthusiast.

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
In addition, i hear that a historic vehicle only can be driven in a parade, or to an event. So for me driving to the park with my pet during the week on a nice sunny day is not allowed. Also Summer an Fall road trips as well. Sunset runs to the waterfront in my area. This is my hobby. I feel like it being taken away. :banghead:

Where i live in Ann Arundel County local zoning law make things more complex.
For the situations you describe, I feel like you would not catch any grief from law enforcement (as long as you aren't giving them a reason to stop you). It's when you really start to abuse the situation that you will get push back.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
My issue with the law is the emissions my cars will have no issue passing inspection but emissions are another thing when your car is a big turbo car on standalone. Of course I can't register for the street rod tags for about 6 more years.
I emailed the mva about the emissions and they could not give be a straight answer.
And the biggest issue by far is how ugly the new tags are!!!!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I have a old Bus, Thing, and 2 motorcycles with historic tags... My daily driver is a M5 with regular tags. Neither one of my Vw's are beat, and would pass any safety inspection.... Within 10 days if necessary. I do think these new laws put a damper on some enthusiast depending on how your car is modified (if at all). However, I understand why they changed it. Some of the junk I've seen on the road is just amazing. Where I see a bigger concern is the ATV's, dirt bikes, and untagged vehicles running up and down the road, doing wheelies in front of the police, and they want to pull over the 'tagged' cars and motorcycles? I'm not saying this is a bad idea... I'm saying fix the more obvious, illegal problems first before you address the legal problems. I don't know about other counties, but I see these untagged, off-road vehicles on a daily basis! Even more often now than I see Historic, or Antique vehicles on the road!!

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Unfortunately it's all made so that they can make money, more tickets for details of a law that makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 16 of 16 Posts