VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if there's a designated "Introduce Yourself" subforum, so I'll just put it here.

Just purchased a 1996 Jetta Trek 5-Speed with 140k (roughly 80k miles). I'll post photos when I figure out how to. Found a thread about doing a VR6 swap (I've already found an engine, trans, harness, some AC/PS lines) which I'll be using as a reference. Never done an engine swap before so I'm looking forward to it. It probably won't be any time soon due to it being my daily. I probably don't have the ability to swap it on a weekend but we'll see. The user (I wanna say his name is Levi) did a complete teardown of the car which I won't be doing so that should eliminate about 80% of the time required.

I should mention that the engine is from an OBD1 Passat, as well as the harness and the assorted lines. However, the transmission is from a MK3 GTI and it needs a new selector fork because 3rd gear apparently doesn't work properly. I don't see that making any difference (the trans at least, I don't think the OBD1 Passat's mounted longitudinally) but I could be wrong.

Probably won't be swapping it until next year so I'm just looking to network and get help as I rebuild. Haven't got the engine yet but I'm hoping to very soon. If the guy backs out, then it's very unlikely that I'll swap at all (it's idiotically cheap at the moment). I don't really care much for speed from my daily (I have my bikes for that) but I do love the sound of the 12v.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guy backed out so VR6 isn't happening. Not really that bothered; I wasn't really that eager to do it so it's probably not worth the effort. Still pissed off because it was a good deal though. He just stopped responding after a while. He was going to sell me some old Concept-1 coilovers for cheap too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just delete this thread if possible.

I sold the Jetta on August 20th to get back into Honda. I couldn't justify the bad fuel economy the 2.0 gets and a VR6 just didn't make sense. Picked up a 2009 Acura TSX with a 6-Speed manual instead. Considering it didn't cost me much more to buy than what I got for the Jetta, it seemed like a no-brainer.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Just delete this thread if possible.

I sold the Jetta on August 20th to get back into Honda. I couldn't justify the bad fuel economy the 2.0 gets and a VR6 just didn't make sense. Picked up a 2009 Acura TSX with a 6-Speed manual instead. Considering it didn't cost me much more to buy than what I got for the Jetta, it seemed like a no-brainer.
Sure...And the Fart can will be better coming out of a Jap car anyway.....:cool:

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
My thoughts exactly. No sense in having half the power with worse fuel economy. Trading a slightly raspier exhaust for real performance is much better.
LOL.......:screwy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.