VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got it today.
Took 1 week from ordering(from NY to CA), UPS
Bought it from Stratmosphere.com for 895 no shipping or tax.
Couldn't really find it cheaper, so I figured it would be best to just buy it from the US distributor(Stramosphere).
Looked at all the systems and the price difference was at most about 150 more than the TT and the same as most of the others.
I liked the basic design of the Milltek- straight pipe into the muffler unlike the S/S and TT(but like the B&B and Neuspeed).
Liked the fact that with the resonator it is supposed to be quiet.
I love the sound of the factory setup(no flapper crapper) but it is loud and certainly does draw attention-but it is lovely!!
Putting it on tomorrow and I'll give y'all a full review.

· Registered
989 Posts
Re: New Milltek Cat-back w/resonator! (r32senior)

You'll like it but give it 500 miles to burn in before you draw any conclusions, and leave the resonator on. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
600 Posts
Re: New Milltek Cat-back w/resonator! (R2-32)

Quote, originally posted by R2-32 »
You'll like it but give it 500 miles to burn in before you draw any conclusions, and leave the resonator on. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I agree with this. I am also thinking about a Miltek. I am intertested in your feedback.

· Registered
1,538 Posts
Re: New Milltek Cat-back w/resonator! (R2-32)

I'm kinda starting to get used to it w/o the resonator. I love the "burble" or "gargle" when shifting at low rpm's. I'm going to try to get a vid of slow and fast drive bys, to see how it sounds to pedestrians and other cars. I don't to draw unwanted attention or piss people off. I may post a vid or sound clip tonite or tomorrow.

· Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: New Milltek Cat-back w/resonator! (wtmsvw)

INITIAL IMPRESSION
Have not been running the car hard yet, so...
Installer commented on the super clean fit and quality of finish. Guessing, he said he would expect a system like this to be 1395.
Tip alignment is NOT 100%. Drivers side is good, but the passenger side is not centered completely. Looks to me and the installer that the 'tip' attachment point abutts the weld on the can. Alignment is not so bad that I'm upset, but it could be better. Milltek's claim of full adjustability is in quetion until I talk to them and figure it out. The DS tip sticks out about 1/8" than the PS. Also, the installer "tack" welded all the clamps(a very tiny weld that is incredibly strong and just needs to be filed off to re-adjust). He assured me that it was no big deal even though I did want the ability to fo it myself. I figure I'll allow everthing to 'settle out' prior to freaking.
...having made the above disclaimer...
The tips themselves are beautiful- almost canted out to the side instead of from top to bottom. It's a beautiful and discrete setup that is obviously designed to perfection.
The car is QUIET!!! Ilove it quiet. They say it will break-in in about 500 mi. Some might definitely complain that it is too quiet, esp compared to the flapper open!
There seems to be a great deal less back pressure or what can feel like engine compression breaking. It almost seems to reduce 'driveline lash' or whatever we all describe as the smoothness neede for 1st to 2nd shifts and how the car can be very sensitive ti throttle input both acc and decelerating. The car feels much smoother and seems to rev another 500 rpm higher than inder the same light throttle condition. It makes it seem as though the factory system is VERY restictive and contributes to drivabilty 'tightness'.
Performance in general is very good but I haven't wrung it out yet.
I am extremely impressed and pleased and as soon as I get the tips perfect, I'll be happy.
Performance review next.

· Registered
9,183 Posts

Quote, originally posted by r32senior »

Tip alignment is NOT 100%. Drivers side is good, but the passenger side is not centered completely. Looks to me and the installer that the 'tip' attachment point abutts the weld on the can. Alignment is not so bad that I'm upset, but it could be better.

I don't know of anyone who has had first time perfect tip alignment with Milltek with their MKIV, not just the R32. That being said, the Milltek is avery nice exhaust, I'm sure you'll get the tips figured out. Get some sound clips if you can. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
368 Posts
Re: New Milltek Cat-back w/resonator! (.:R Black Sunshine)

yea, my tip alignment was a little off as well. but the sound of the exhaust is great. i have the resonator and the hi-flow cats and love it..
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
989 Posts

I love the way the tips fill up the bumper cutouts though.
p.s. It will get a little louder, but will stay quiet when you're just cruising.
Taking off the resonator on mine created some unwanted overtones and made the car sound like an angry Chewie.

· Registered
261 Posts

I had the same problem with the tip on my 337 when I had installed a Milltek but after a couple of hours of fighting with it and playing with the hangers I got it straight http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
2,011 Posts
Re: New Milltek Cat-back w/resonator! (wtmsvw)

Sounds like you made a solid choice. Looking forward to seeing/hearing it at the 12/12 Charity Show/R32 G2G. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif In the meantime, have any pics?

· Registered
74 Posts

Here is a thought for those who would like the resonated Miltek to be a little louder. I haven't heard a sound clip of the stock exhaust without the secondary resonator, but I have been told its equally as loud as the non-resonated Miltek. Which leaves me to believe the Miltek resonator is more sound restrictive than the stock resonator. There was someone who had used a Techtonics resonator with the stock exhaust and it sounded good. A little deeper w/ less rasp. Would it be possible to fit the resonated Miltek with the Techtonics resonator? It may be what we are all looking for. The look and finish of the Miltek with an equal sound level to the stock exhaust w/ the valve mod. More of a refined, deeper tone.
Any thoughts?

· Registered
481 Posts
Re: New Milltek Cat-back w/resonator! (SquareD)

I, too, am looking for this harmony. I wonder what you think of the EIP street series exhaust.

· Registered
74 Posts
Re: New Milltek Cat-back w/resonator! (FMYR32)

The EIP non-resonated is too loud for my taste. Then again, the video was taken from inside their shop. My car sounded pretty wicked with the stock exhaust while it was on their dyno. Rich and the crew at EIP are currently working on the "Street Series" w/ resonator. We should see that before Xmas.
I wouldn't mind having the exhaust a little louder than the stock w/ valve mod, but only if it had a deeper, solid tone. I may consider to go with the Miltek non-resonated cat-back to hear it for myself. It seems to be the closest to the air-cooled 911's. It just needs to be toned down a bit, and cleaned up. Whether I decide to swap the center pipe for a resonated Miltek version or have a Techtonics resonator cut-in I don't know. I'd buy the resonated Miltek, but I don't want to risk the resonator being larger than the TT if I was to choose to replace it.
How about some good sound clips of the resonated version outside of the cabin. I have heard the clip on Stratmosphere, but I'd like to hear some drive by's.

· Registered
74 Posts

I'm on the fence about which exhaust to go with. I have narrowed it down to either the Miltek non-resonated or the EIP. I'm thinking that the resonated EIP will be somewhere in between the two Milteks being that it uses three inch piping. Won't know for sure until we hear it first hand. I believe the EIP will provide the best power of all the current offerings. That's a safe bet. My only hang-up with the EIP is the look. I'm not sure if I like the dual walled tip. Perhaps if it wasn't as large in diameter, and sat flush with the bumper I would think differently. From the video, the EIP Race Series sounds wicked. I'd like to hear it on the open road, as running on the dyno inside the shop amplifies the volume. I had my Prelude Vtec on EIP's dyno a few years back, and it never sounded that good on the road...
If I decide to go with the Non-resonated Miltek I may try to sound insulate the boot to help reduce the volume when cruising on the highway with the windows closed. I could careless about the neighbors.
If that doesn't work I'll try a resonator...

· Registered
1,538 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SquareD »
If I decide to go with the Non-resonated Miltek I may try to sound insulate the boot to help reduce the volume when cruising on the highway with the windows closed. I could careless about the neighbors.
If that doesn't work I'll try a resonator...

SquareD, I'm at work, so just a quick note: I have the non-res Miltek, and I like the sound except for the "droning" sound in the cockpit, and it is also quite loud under full throttle at lower RPM's. I did a couple of videos last night, will post link tonite or tomorrow.

· Registered
74 Posts
Re: New Milltek Cat-back w/resonator! (IT_PRO)

I'd really appreciate it. If you could, take some clips from inside the cabin. Both under acceleration and cruising at highway speeds in 6th. Miltek conveniently uses the resonated version for their in cabin sound clip on their site. Living in the DC Metro area I spend a majority of my time on the highway. Worse case I'll swap it for the resonated version, but I don't want to loose the signature exhaust note. Rather enhance it...
I noticed in your signature that you are running the the full exhaust. My past experience with hi-flow cats is that they emit a fair amount of drone themselves. Did you do the cats with the exhaust, or did you add them later?
Thanks

· Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

UPDATE: MILLTEK REVIEW

The system is QUIET esp compared to running the flapper open. It does have a nice tone, but if noise, or sound level is important to you, you won't like it.
I LOVE IT> It seems to tone the car down so much amd improves drivability nicely-less engine compression braking, freer reving. It is funny, though, to assess it with the REDUCTION in sound level. First time in my life I put an aftermarket system on and it was QUIETER!
The flat out performance of my car is outstanding, but I am running already:
1. GIAC CAI flash w/ EVO CAI
with a crved out lower grill

2. A bit of toulene

3. Grounding kit
The car, IMO, is MUCH faster than stock. The flash and intake are excellent.
The Milltek seems to have improved drivability more than power, but the reduction in sound does have a psychological effect.
The tip issue- they are looking better with time and it looks like you can align the can itself a bit to account for variancec. Or I'm taking the PS off and trimming it slightly which will give me the clearance to line it up right. The tip style is outraegous-very discrete but custom.
Net--the car runs fantastic. I would still recommend the GIAC+EVO for more improvement and definitely better bang for the buck,but, THE MILLTEK IS A VERY HIGH QUALITY PIECE WORTHY OF THE QUALITY OF OUR CARS. If we had Civics, we'd all buy G-Reddy.
The price difference between the systems is small, so I can't imagine not spring for the tried and trued piece.

· Registered
1,538 Posts

Did you notice two things: 1.) The exhaust note gets deeper/slightly louder after the muffler is hot. 2.) The exhaust tips(mine are perfectly centered, BTW) stick out further by about 1 inch when they're hot.
IMO, I would not reccommend the high-flow cats. I didn't notice a power increase, although the engine seemed to rev more willingly near and to the redline. However the exhaust note got a bit more raspy.
So now I've been driving w/o resonator, and if it weren't for the GD DRONING in the cabin, I would be happy. I've been working with a really good mechanic, ex-autocrosser, came highly reccommended.
He likes the non-res sound, and we're going to try to figure out how to reduce the droning. Anywho, I'm going to try to get some vid clips up tonite. Stay tuned........

· Registered
74 Posts
Re: New Milltek Cat-back w/resonator! (IT_PRO)

Quote, originally posted by IT_PRO »
I've been working with a really good mechanic, ex-autocrosser, came highly recommended.
He likes the non-res sound, and we're going to try to figure out how to reduce the droning. Anywho, I'm going to try to get some vid clips up tonite. Stay tuned........

I think if we were to place sound insulation between the spare and the trunk lining it would help cut back on the in-cabin drone. Try to isolate the muffler from the cabin. I currently stow my carpeted floor mats underneath the trunk lining when I'm using the Monster mats. It may be my imagination, but it seems to have muffled the sound of the stock exhaust when cruising. Stuff some added sound insulation above the rear wheel wells and in the hatch lid itself (if you can figure out how to remove the lining). If weight savings isn't a concern this would be a good start. Then again, your running the cats, so added noise may be emitting from under the center console.
Good luck...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.