VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey every one. I just purchased a 77 VW Rabbit last Aug. and i love the car. It is however a large project. I purchased it from a BMW technician that I work with who built it. It is an 8v 1.6L but boered out to a 2.0L. He also installed a K3 turbo putting out 16 lbs of boost mounted on a hand built manifold. He said it was a turbo from a diesel and it was sent out to have the intake said boered out a little and to add ball bearings. Now it spools at idle. The entire interior is stripped except for a roll cage, a plethera of Auto Meter guages, and soon two Corbeau Clubman seats w/ Corbeau 5 point harnesses. All the wiring for road worthyness has been stripped out so i recently purchased a Painless 12 circuit race harness. I need help in finding out where to get a stock front bumber in nice shape to moutn the front turn/park lights???? Any help and suggestions would be greatly appereciated.
Thanks,
Warren
P.S. I am very glad to be a member of this forum. I ahve always heard a great deal about the knowledge contained in these pages. One more ? I was also told that the bottom of the engine is a stock diesel and the top half is gas and that is how it came from factory? Have any of you heard of them producing a gas engine with left over bottoms halves of diesels???

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: New MK1 owner crazy project car (Turboed77)

i can offer a little insight with the bottom end question...
a quote from the 1.5 diesel SAE paper:
"The 1.5l 50 BHP Diesel and the 1.6l 110 BHP spark ignition engine use the same internal engine components (crankshaft, pistons, conrods and bearings)."
the diesel and gasser blocks came from the same mould, and even the same production line. it was necessary to keep final costs down on the diesel engines.. so they used the existing tooling on the gas engine line.
there is some more info at the GTD forum along with the full 40-page or so SAE paper... a very good read http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=46
take note of the bottom section on page 78

Modified by itchyG60 at 1:08 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: New MK1 owner crazy project car (Turboed77)

Quote, originally posted by Turboed77 »
Have any of you heard of them producing a gas engine with left over bottoms halves of diesels???

"Volkswagen Diesel engines use parts which are also used in the spark ignition engine which is being produced in large numbers. We are in a position to select close-tolerance parts to be used for the Diesel engines from the total number of, for instance, crankshafts and connecting rods produced." (taken from page 83 of the paper)
So basically, they took the most precisely machined parts and used them in the diesel engines and used the remaining components for the gassers.

Modified by itchyG60 at 1:16 PM 5-20-2004

·
Banned
10,156 Posts
Re: New MK1 owner crazy project car (itchyG60)

It is not possible that VW used the same pistons in gas engines as the Diesels.
Oh and the bumpers can be had for around $150 for a set of black plastic euro ones. these are much lighter and less clunky than the US units.

Modified by Rabbit 16v at 10:23 AM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: New MK1 owner crazy project car (Rabbit 16v)

Quote, originally posted by Rabbit 16v »
It is not possible that VW used the same pistons in gas engines as the Diesels.

not only is it possible, it is stated fact by their development team.
"The 1.5l 50 BHP Diesel and the 1.6l 110 BHP spark ignition engine use the same internal engine components (crankshaft, pistons, conrods and bearings)."
of course, the gas engine they are refering to is the 110hp heron head GTI engine if i am not mistaken... no run of the mill gasser.
here is the full paper for your educational enjoyment: http://home.comcast.net/~jakeru/15dsae.pdf

·
Banned
10,156 Posts

Ok well I just read the article, very good stuff btw, and it only mentioned the pistons being the same once. It never mentioned it in the section about pistons. However, in the section about the block it did mention the gas engine. I think it was a typo.
BTW, European ETKA does not have those part numbers as being a match. So I will stick with the statement that those pistons were never used in the gas engine.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts

hehe, okay..and i'll have to agree with the guys who designed the engines.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

hey thanx man i jus didn't know if it was a load of crap or not.......

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

But seeing that the engine was boered out and new pistons fitted could it then be possible???? All i am woried about is detination.....i really do not want that to happen........
I really appreciate all the help though.. i want to try and get pics up as soon as possible but ill have to talk wit my bro.......hes the computer wiz.
Thanx, Warren

·
Banned
10,156 Posts

Keep in mind that the person who designed the engines was probably not an English speaking person. So that said you have to keep in mind that someone had to translate it. Then you also have to take into consideration that the entire article referred to the gas vs. the Diesel and in each part (engine block, cylinder head, etc) these comparisons were there. Although there is no mention of the piston similarity in the section that details the Diesel piston.
Not to mention the fact that I have personally seen the Heron piston AND the Diesel piston and they look nothing alike.

Warren, AFA detonation you will want to install some guages like EGT and fuel mixture to keep an eye on what is going on in the engine. Make sure that you have enough fuel. That is possibly the number one cause to detonation. The other prominent cause to detonation is too much ignition advance. That is why the KS system was suggested. It will automatically retard the timing in 3 degree increments to avoid pinging. HTH!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

I am sure the gas engine is not running 23:1 compression like the diesel....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I do have a air/fuel gauge but it seems to be on the fritz. It never really worked correctly I don't know if i need a new o2 sensor or if i just hooked it up wrong.....although it is only a single wire sensor so i just wiried it to the gauge.........The sensor is on the exhaust manifold too........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts