VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST GOT A GLS 1.8T LAST WEEK, I WAS DRIVING HOME LAST NIGHT AND WHEN I WAS STOPPED AFTER GETTING OFF OF THE INTERSTATE THE REAR RIGHT BRAKE LET OFF A CLOUD OF SMOKE. I WASN'T SLOWING DOWN REALLY FAST OR ANYTHING, AND I WAS ONLY GOING 75, ANY IDEAS OF WHAT COULD HAVE CAUSED THIS? NO, THE E-BRAKE WAS NOT ON EITHER. DO THE FACTORY CALIPERS HAVE A PROBLEM WITH STICKING? OR IS IT JUST A FLUKE THINK I SHOULD TAKE TO THE DEALERSHIP FOR WARANTY REPAIR?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Re: NEW MK4, REAR RIGHT BRAKE SMOKED! (VERYLOUDSTEREO)

my sister has had that same problem occur twice in the past 3 years. The caliper froze and destroyed the rotor. They (being VWOA) replaced it the first time and for the second time she was azzed out! recently, she was experiencing the same thing

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: NEW MK4, REAR RIGHT BRAKE SMOKED! (golfhm472)

thats screwed up! i will definately be paying them a visit tomorrow then. is there anyway on here to gather people with similar problems to arrange a recall for crap like this?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VERYLOUDSTEREO »
thats screwed up! i will definately be paying them a visit tomorrow then. is there anyway on here to gather people with similar problems to arrange a recall for crap like this?

A few weeks ago I asked that same question and only a few answered! It might be a isolated prblem or people have just given up and paid to have it replaced

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: NEW MK4, REAR RIGHT BRAKE SMOKED! (golfhm472)

i am a tech at a d.c. area dealership. we have one of the larger service departments in the country. i have not seen a frozen rear caliper in the year+i've been there. so, i do think this is a common problem.
in general, the brake system is very stout on the cars. the only "weak" point i have seen is the rear pads somewhat short life span. but this primarily occurs on 2001 and for the first month of 2002 production cars. during that time the factory put on a softer pad material on the rear to keep them quiet. when people started complaining of 25,000mi. pad life they swithced to a longer life pad compound. i have a second month of production 2002 wagon with 40,000 mi on the stock brakes, with about 15,000mi left on front and rear.
relax, your dealer will take care of you. it sounds like more of an abs control module issue than a caliper issue to me though. just think you could be driving a car with a totally pathetic brake system, like my old honda accord.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: NEW MK4, REAR RIGHT BRAKE SMOKED! ([email protected])

ok, i went to the dealership and i talked with the guy for a while. i just got this car on the 25th of last month, so it is still very new. we went for a little test drive and didn't feel any problems of it sticking or anything like that and when we got back to the dealership the guy parked it on a very steep hill and only pulled the e-brake 3-4 clicks, barely above the seat. i then pulled it up to a 45^ angle like i usually do and he said that that may be why they stuck. he said that the caliper's piston screws out rather than coming straight out and being so new pushing it out that far could make it stick. that made sense so i wet ahead and left, but after my 30 minute drive home today when i got out i smelled that burnt brake odor, should i take it back again, or is this a common thing on the 2003?

·
Registered
211 Posts

bring it back to the stealership ... grab the service writer by the tie and stick his nose to the trouble wheel and yell " Now you see the issue!?!?!?!"

j/k
I would definately advise them and have them write down in there database each issue/complaint of the problem or any and get a copy for your records. That way you have a record and you know that they do as well. Gotta C.Y.A. !

·
Registered
3,243 Posts

This sounds like a warranty issue to me.
Also sounds like the dealership service department is worthless.
Jack up the car, pull the wheel, inspect the brake for yourself.
Go to the dealership that did not serve you well and have them repeat the inspection.
If they cannot satisfy you, go to another dealer service department.
Very Important; when this is resolved file a complaint at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/
fat biker motto #1 "don't get mad, get even"
fat biker motto #2 "don't be difficult, with a little work, you can be impossible"
Your screen name suggests that you might have hearing difficulty,
but ALL CAPS is generally considered to be SHOUTING and many find it to be annoying as well.
fat biker

1 - 8 of 8 Posts