VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

181 - 200 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Ford Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
9,378 Posts
Actually you can get a ‘20 Mustang GT right now for about $33K CAD. The employee pricing plus the rebate puts it down basically to the price of an EcoBoost. In contrast it’s probably slim pickings for Zs on lots right now.

https://shop.ford.ca/inventory/must...=Mustang_F05-GT&Order=Distance&intcmp=show-si

Hrm, that’s too bad, lowest I can find is $36K now. $33K was definitely out there but it looks like they might have goofed on the Employee Pricing discount and now lowered it? Guess last month was the time to buy, more on lots then too.
As your link demonstrates, it is incredibly hard to find, and the MSRP of Mustang GTs has shot WAY up since the S550 came out. Also smaller dealers with less allocation usually don't deal as hard. Besides, say you take a base 370Z at $30.5k, and you find a bit of wiggle room on that, you're still looking at a few grand cheaper.

·
Registered
44,091 Posts
So Ferrari must have lobbied/Epstein blackmailed governments to sell their sleek cars?

Good design is only made for the rich to afford.
You're so far off the beaten path I think you're a caricature, but I'll bite.

Sure, it's only for the rich because it costs a LOT of money to build sleek cars like that, but even Ferrari needs to adhere to the rules and can't do anything they want. Now the problem for Nissan is that they can't even afford to make an all new chassis right now and they need something relatively inexpensive and somewhat limited because of being forced to be built from the old one. They've come up with a car that should turn heads and sell in decent numbers, which is exactly what they need it to do. The car you posted would be expensive and polarizing. It would be expensive to develop, expensive to build and even then it almost certainly wouldn't meet crash standards without a drastic reworking of the basic design.

It's a show car/flight of fancy and nothing more, just like Ferrari's show cars that aren't intended for production.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The only problem it has is the abundant glass which would boil the interior when sunny.
Thats basically a rebodied 300zx. Nissan is a shell of company that purposely puts out inferior cars because of the world wide automobile monopoly ruled by the .1% elites.
How do these cars pass pedestrian safety? Its practically a brick wall on wheels.

^ you can buy a used mk1 TT quattro for like $6k, it won several design awards because of the Bauhaus styling and is basically at the bottom of the depreciation/interest curve. If you want one now is the time, I'd bet on a $15k mk1 within a decade. I'd also argue Ferrari gave up the styling mantle awhile ago...
The Marcello Gandini has its linage from his first creations, the Countach. That Audi has all the testosterone taken out of it.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
It’s much easier to design a car when you don’t have to take regulations from different markets, production and practicality into account.
And cost. And FE requirements. Ingress/egress. etc.:beer:

You know it would be enlightening for most armchair automotive designers to forget all the brand graphic requirements and just sketch over a 2 seater package compete with suspension, bulkhead, and impact zones in mind. Oh and don't forget ramp departure angles for the front and rear bumper.

It's also amusing to see how many truly great, experienced designers can make something super beautiful and sketchy in 2D-but their models all seem 'meh' when seen in person/digitally. As you noted, it's a lot more difficult when one is off the sidelines.:beer:

·
Registered
950 Posts
That could be a nice design to most, on a puny chassis, which is hard to do... but we are not desperate for space to have compact cars. Although the interior volume may be the same, to me awesome proportions on a bad design triumphs a great looking compact car.

You know it would be enlightening for most armchair automotive designers to forget all the brand graphic requirements and just sketch over a 2 seater package compete with suspension, bulkhead, and impact zones in mind. Oh and don't forget ramp departure angles for the front and rear bumper.

It's also amusing to see how many truly great, experienced designers can make something super beautiful and sketchy in 2D-but their models all seem 'meh' when seen in person/digitally. As you noted, it's a lot more difficult when one is off the sidelines.:beer:
In multi-billion dollar companies all the technicalities have already been done on previous car models... the only costly part is CNC'ing metal moulds for the panels to get stamped on. This shouldnt cost more then a 100k with todays advances.

Designs in ZX chassis

Zagato Bambu & Seta

·
Chili Bigot
19,981 Posts
:bs::facepalm:

·
Registered
44,091 Posts
That could be a nice design to most, on a puny chassis, which is hard to do... but we are not desperate for space to have compact cars. Although the interior volume may be the same, to me awesome proportions on a bad design triumphs a great looking compact car.

In multi-billion dollar companies all the technicalities have already been done on previous car models... the only costly part is CNC'ing metal moulds for the panels to get stamped on. This shouldnt cost more then a 100k with todays advances.
ROFL.

The only costly part, eh? I suppose that purposeful "bad design" is to keep the masses in check. Or something.

You really are a caricature of yourself.

The only problem it has is the abundant glass which would boil the interior when sunny.
Thats basically a rebodied 300zx. Nissan is a shell of company that purposely puts out inferior cars because of the world wide automobile monopoly ruled by the .1% elites.
How do these cars pass pedestrian safety? Its practically a brick wall on wheels.

The Marcello Gandini has its linage from his first creations, the Countach. That Audi has all the testosterone taken out of it.
Really? Is that the only problem? I'm glad you have that sorted out.

Also, pedestrian crash standards are about crush space under the sheet metal, not about a flat front. Also I have no idea if they meet those specs or not, but probably not. Pedestrian safety is a European thing and those trucks aren't designed for their market. Crowded cities laid out in the 1600s do not make good places to drive 3/4 ton American pickups. Open areas with livestock make for great uses, though.

To be fair, I despise those truck front ends. They're pointlessly large and are there to instill a feeling of power for the buyer. The grilles are ridiculous and cartoonish and the height of modern trucks make them difficult to load. But of course simple loads in the bed isn't what the marketing is about. It's about cranes putting pallets of cinderblock in there and towing 10,000 lb. boats.

Away! Away with those workaday problems! It's all to keep the little guy down for the .1%. Or something.

I still don't think that guy is real, but who knows?

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
Only way to deal with trolls is to ignore them and let them shrivel up and die. I don't think I've ever read a VigorousZX post with any kind of value.

·
Registered
950 Posts
ROFL.

The only costly part, eh? I suppose that purposeful "bad design" is to keep the masses in check. Or something.

You really are a caricature of yourself.
Yes, thats how a monopoly works... explains why Japanese appliance manufacturers never made a car with these proportions.

... Also I have no idea if they meet those specs or not, but probably not....
So there is a 'tradie' privilege over the safety of everyone else's lives. Who knew, guys that buy sandwiches and lotto tickets at the local 7eleven have a secret exemption from pedestrian safety. Probably a George Soro's figure lobbying the government?

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert
1,136 Posts
Well. I think we should all collectively ignore the last page of insanity lest we derail this otherwise Nice Thread about a Nice Car.

I’m pretty sure of it based on the 350/370z/FM platform/prototype images... but do we think the new 400z will have a full hatch opening down to the bumper? That’d be a major value-add in my eyes vs the small opening of the Mustang, Supra, and upcoming 2nd gen GT86/BRZ.

·
Registered
2012 Ford Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
9,378 Posts
Well. I think we should all collectively ignore the last page of insanity lest we derail this otherwise Nice Thread about a Nice Car.

I’m pretty sure of it based on the 350/370z/FM platform/prototype images... but do we think the new 400z will have a full hatch opening down to the bumper? That’d be a major value-add in my eyes vs the small opening of the Mustang, Supra, and upcoming 2nd gen GT86/BRZ.
Even if it doesn't go down to the bumper, it will automatically be more practical than any of those cars.

Except those cars all have back seats...

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts

I think it will go down to the bumper.... problem is if it's like other FM Zs the bumper will sit high like mom jeans.

I don't remember it being an issue with my 350Z; the damn RSTB was a bigger PITA honestly and either way the trunk is gonna suck.

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
No drop top... A panoramic sunroof would be enough. FM convertibles are always hideous

And that NISMO render looks like a warthog

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
OK, that wasn't hideous but I generally don't like 4 seat convertibles. They all remind me of Chrysler Sebrings

181 - 200 of 245 Posts