VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

421 - 440 of 477 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,554 Posts
They are using an old platform, so it is inevitable. If it was on a new platform, it would be much easier to cut that weight down obviously.
Would it? The new Supra is on an all new platform, costs a good 10-20K more and still weighs 3350 lbs.

I suppose the Miata points to a better approach, but it also makes less than half this thing's horsepower, and when loaded with similar base equipment (upgraded brakes etc) is not much cheaper. Personally I'd rather have a $40K 3500lb Z than a $60K 3300-3400lb Z

And again everybody is doing the FM thing. I don't think there is going to be another BMW ICE platform after CLAR. In 10, 20, 30 years if there is still a Z4 it will be on the current platform.

·
Registered
16,337 Posts
They are using an old platform, so it is inevitable. If it was on a new platform, it would be much easier to cut that weight down obviously.
Why does old = heavy? It doesn't. Over the last 20-30 years, automotive chassis technology advanced rapidly, hence the need for new platforms. Now, it's all incremental. It's also more cost effective to tweak the current platform than engineer a brand new one where the differences in performance are probably going to be a couple of percent, if that.

I don't think it's a big deal at all that this is not an all-new platform. 20 years ago, yes - today nope.

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
9,935 Posts
Why does old = heavy? It doesn't. Over the last 20-30 years, automotive chassis technology advanced rapidly, hence the need for new platforms. Now, it's all incremental. It's also more cost effective to tweak the current platform than engineer a brand new one where the differences in performance are probably going to be a couple of percent, if that.

I don't think it's a big deal at all that this is not an all-new platform. 20 years ago, yes - today nope.
My point is, it would be easier to engineer in weight savings with a new platform than by trying to modify the old one, but I'm no engineer.

150 lbs. is a big difference IMO.

·
Registered
2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate, 2017 Miata RF GT
1,660 Posts
OK, if I veer completely out of the realm of objectivity in my FM fanboyism- feel free to check me.

But what do you meeeeeeaaan Nissan spent zero resources to refine it? I have owned or driven all 3 generations of the FM platform. There is a big difference between a Q50 and an OG G35. Mechanically, I would argue the FM platform has had way more change than the LX platform. New engines, new suspensions etc.

I think where Nissan goofed was in not spending money on the right things. The Q50's infotainment still sucks. The 7AT does as well. Direct Adaptive Steering was a waste of time and money. Etc. What else is wrong? Plus the LX platform had a lot more room to improve on. When they came out their interiors were mid 2000s Chrysler Rubbermaid™ dog ****. Even today they are not amazing. But they made huge investments to get here!

Again I am a nearly shameless FM fanboy. There are definitely things that need to be fixed with the Z. I hated the steering and both transmissions (at least at the track), which is pretty significant in terms of driving experience. The transmission thing seems to have been addressed... I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt on steering for now. We will see. I at least give Nissan credit for building a Nissan rather than just slapping the Z badge on someone else's car.
The LX to LD (LC/LA) transition was nearly a clean sheet design. The 370Z has not had anywhere near as much investment over its lifecycle as the LX/LD cars. On top of changes to the suspension geometry, torsional rigidity, etc., FCA made the following changes:

SOCH V6 --> Pentastar V6
5.7L (EZB) Hemi re-worked to breathe better with more horsepower and torque across the entire curve
6.1L Hemi --> 6.4L Hemi and the 6.4L was re-worked over it lifetime to breathe better
6.2L Hellcat added
5-speed Auto --> ZF8 auto
Bilstein adaptive suspension added
Bilstein fixed suspension added for SRT 392 and later on Scatpack
4-piston Brembos added
Massive interior overhaul
Uconnect added
AWD added to the SXT V6 trim
Widebody package added with new anti-roll bars and sway bars
A bunch of changes to the final drive ratios for each engine

I suppose you could argue there was a similar iteration with FM when the 350Z became the 370Z, but it's clear that FCA has changed a lot more overtime with the Charger/Challenge than the Z cars.

·
Premium Member
8,554 Posts
I did a cursory search of aftermarket suspension stuff for the LX platform... apparently AWD coilovers fit from the 2005 cars to the current ones, so suspension wise they didn't change that much. Same cannot be said about the FM platform.

Engine wise the VQ had more extensive changes over its lifespan and they eventually ditched it entirely for the all new VR30. They went from a 5AT to a 7AT. 2nd gen cars switched from Brembos to Akebonos (I want to say 6/4 pistons F/R but I'm not sure). Not sure about final drive stuff but aside from infotainment (which has been updated in the 400Z) I'd call the level of development comparable. I'd wager there's a lot more you can swap between an 05 Charger and a '21 Charger than an OG G35 and current Q50.

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert, E36 coupé
1,606 Posts
Some reading on the 9G-Tronic auto 'box: https://documents.epfl.ch/users/f/fr/froulet/www/Mechanics/A1_Paper.pdf

Cliffs:
  • patented in 2008, so over a decade of further development refinement based on 9G-equipped Benzes sold since
  • 1000Nm (737 ft-lbs) design torque limit
  • 9.15:1 ratio spread

Of course if I were to order one, it would be manual. But this looks miles better than the JATCO 7AT.

·
Registered
16,337 Posts
My point is, it would be easier to engineer in weight savings with a new platform than by trying to modify the old one, but I'm no engineer.

150 lbs. is a big difference IMO.
You're assuming the old platform was "heavy". Anyways, Nissan isn't going to engineer a new sports car platform because they're probably pumping all of their money into EV development.

So I for one am extremely happy this car is seeing the light of day and that it has competitive specs. I believe it's lighter than a 992 so that's a win in my book.

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
9,935 Posts
You're assuming the old platform was "heavy". Anyways, Nissan isn't going to engineer a new sports car platform because they're probably pumping all of their money into EV development.

So I for one am extremely happy this car is seeing the light of day and that it has competitive specs. I believe it's lighter than a 992 so that's a win in my book.
If the shoe fits.

No one is comparing this to a 992. Regular 911 is a touring car, full stop.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
No one is comparing this to a 992. Regular 911 is a touring car, full stop.
Porsche Cayman GT4
4L Flat-6, 414hp
Curb weight 3208lb (manual)
price: $114,900Cdn START

Nissan can sell the new Z at $45k USD ($56k Cdn) start and it will still consider cheap.

·
Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
20,142 Posts
Terrible commercial and terrible actress. They‘re trying to leverage their history and heritage while simultaneously calling themselves “new”.

·
Premium Member
11,479 Posts
"at some point cars got boring"

and then right away starts showing their crossovers 🤦
It's rich coming from the company that might as well have been called "Nissan Rental Fleet." I give them kudos for trying to reinvigorate the brand, but let's not pretend like Nissan wasn't a primary culprit of car boringness.

421 - 440 of 477 Posts