VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

441 - 460 of 477 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe, 2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring
22,184 Posts
"at some point cars got boring"

and then right away starts showing their crossovers 🤦
A car company commercial taking liberties with how exciting their cars are? Unheard of.

·
Registered
29,209 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,554 Posts
It's rich coming from the company that might as well have been called "Nissan Rental Fleet." I give them kudos for trying to reinvigorate the brand, but let's not pretend like Nissan wasn't a primary culprit of car boringness.
So once a car company makes boring cars, they're never allowed to change?

·
Premium Member
11,479 Posts
So once a car company makes boring cars, they're never allowed to change?
Of course not, but then making semi-incredulous ads complaining about how cars "have become boring" is a bit eyeroll-worthy.

·
Registered
2011 SAAB 9-5 and 2016 Lincoln MKC
2,227 Posts
Of course not, but then making semi-incredulous ads complaining about how cars "have become boring" is a bit eyeroll-worthy.
Yes, I think it is silly that one of the companies mostly responsible for cars no longer catering to enthusiasts (Leaf, CVT on everything, teasing us with the Eau Rouge and IDX concepts but giving us Murano convertibles), has a commercial pretending that they are the the solution to boring cars.

Sort of like when Cosmopolitan body shames women for decades with airbrushed models, but now puts obese women on the cover to say that being overweight is OK and pretending that they were supportive of it all along.

:)

·
Registered
8,030 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
On the flip side, it could be a way to say they're turning a new leaf and focusing on fun to drive with the new and updated products going forward.

The biggest pain point now seems to be the CVT - it just sucks the life out of anything they put it in - The Canada only Sentra SV 6-Speed has gotten decent reviews with people pointing that the manual really does perk up and change the car's character, even with the transmission shift "flow" (for lack of a better term in my head) being somewhat affected by rev hang. The car itself is quite handsome, actually almost all of Nissan's latest designs are great looking cars that I'd easily be happy to own save for the CVT.

I get it, manuals don't sell here. But hopefully they'll consider a Nismo Sentra with a 6 speed and a properly powerful engine, expanding stick availability in the Versa to include SV trims, hell maybe even throwing mid-size shoppers a bone with a SV VC-Turbo 6 speed Altima.

Manual isn't the be all, end all for driving engagement of course, but it'd increase their credibility quite a bit especially if it's a decent to shift unit.

Aside - if they got the ZF 9 speed working nicely in the Pathfinder, it'd be interesting to see if it'd spread to the other mid-size/full-size front drive cars - it would certainly make for one less reason to not consider a Nissan (worries about CVT reliability).

·
Premium Member
8,554 Posts
I think car "enthusiasts" just love jumping on the Nissan bashing bandwagon. First of all you can still walk into a Nissan dealership and buy a brand new Z or GT-R. Most of Nissan's competitors barely have 1 performance car, let alone 2. Second of all Nissan is a full range brand. Not even Mazda has a full range of exciting, tantalizing cars. And within the next few years most of their lineup will be pretty new, which again cannot be said of many of its competitors TCL gives passes to.

It's like people don't even think their opinions through and just regurgitate whatever they think the hivemind wants to hear. Nissan is turning things around and deserves some credit.

Reactions: Phil Pugliese

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
I think car "enthusiasts" just love jumping on the Nissan bashing bandwagon. First of all you can still walk into a Nissan dealership and buy a brand new Z or GT-R. Most of Nissan's competitors barely have 1 performance car, let alone 2. Second of all Nissan is a full range brand. Not even Mazda has a full range of exciting, tantalizing cars. And within the next few years most of their lineup will be pretty new, which again cannot be said of many of its competitors TCL gives passes to.

It's like people don't even think their opinions through and just regurgitate whatever they think the hivemind wants to hear. Nissan is turning things around and deserves some credit.
its because nissan is the chrysler of japan.

i said what i said.

·
Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
20,142 Posts
Now that Nissan seems committed to producing some interesting products again, my only gripe with them is the whole Carlos Ghosn thing which is sketchy af. All of it. Him, too.

EDIT: Oh, and what I really wanted to post was a reaction to that blue interior above. I don't know that I'd buy that specifically, but I LOVE that they're (potentially) going to offer it.

·
Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
20,142 Posts
Is that really orange-orange or just a light saddle color (like a baseball glove)? Mazda offered a similar color in some of their special edition Miatas.

·
Registered
29,209 Posts
Is that really orange-orange or just a light saddle color (like a baseball glove)? Mazda offered a similar color in some of their special edition Miatas.
Poseurs unless you match the stitch

·
Premium Member
8,554 Posts
The more I see it the more I like it. The whole retro theme seems to work better in production form which is great. Strong Z32/S13 hatch vibes from the back. I will be shocked if it comes in anywhere under 3450lbs ready to drive.

Reactions: Sporin and vb22

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,691 Posts
The more I see it the more I like it. The whole retro theme seems to work better in production form which is great. Strong Z32/S13 hatch vibes from the back. I will be shocked if it comes in anywhere under 3450lbs ready to drive.
Yeah, I really like it, and if the pricing holds, they nailed that too, coming in squarely between the GR86/BRZ and the 2.0 Supra.

441 - 460 of 477 Posts