VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1201 - 1220 of 1418 Posts

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
The Rogue I rented was actually really nice as well.
If they had a regular automatic in a Rogue or Pathfinder my stable would probably look different. I have always had a soft spot for Datsun/Nissan. My first car was a Nissan. My dream car as a young young kid (like age 9-10) was a R34 Skyline (thanks Paul Walker, seriously). I’ve always been a die hard Ford guy too but Nissan was always right there as well.

·
Registered
13,656 Posts
If they had a regular automatic in a Rogue or Pathfinder my stable would probably look different. I have always had a soft spot for Datsun/Nissan. My first car was a Nissan. My dream car as a young young kid (like age 9-10) was a R34 Skyline (thanks Paul Walker, seriously). I’ve always been a die hard Ford guy too but Nissan was always right there as well.
The Pathfinder has a conventional automatic now.

Reactions: bificus99

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,206 ·

·
Registered
47,964 Posts
So an already too-heavy car has added a NFL lineman worth of weight (~300lb). Great, I guess. Really embracing the Japanese Mustang mindset (forever bitter they cancelled the IDx concept).
What did you expect from a car that is updated from a previous design, lightness? Also, a number on a page has never been my metric for if I like a car or not.

Nissan doesn't have any money, and yet they were able to make a much improved car from one that has already been around two generations. They did this without even making it obvious it indeed is that old car, save the quarter windows and door handles. For a company to do that I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt before I drive it.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
What did you expect from a car that is updated from a previous design, lightness? Also, a number on a page has never been my metric for if I like a car or not.

Nissan doesn't have any money, and yet they were able to make a much improved car from one that has already been around two generations. They did this without even making it obvious it indeed is that old car, save the quarter windows and door handles. For a company to do that I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt before I drive it.
:slowclap:

Reactions: andlf

·
Registered
36,398 Posts
I'm glad that we have both options. It's like 1995 all over again, but surprisingly both cars are significantly more affordable this time around when measured as MSRP versus median household income.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I actually saw a Z on the road today (with Tennessee manufacturer plates). It looked like this (possibly even the same car?).

It's definitely cleaner looking than the Supra, but I also saw a yellow Supra today, and that really has far more presence on the road. Very few people were even giving the Z a second glance.

Also, this confirmed to me that I really hate the black roof on the Z. Body color would be so much better.

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
So an already too-heavy car has added a NFL lineman worth of weight (~300lb). Great, I guess. Really embracing the Japanese Mustang mindset (forever bitter they cancelled the IDx concept).
Welp. Time to lean into my signature.

For starters. Name some lighter similarly priced 6 cylinder sports cars on sale right now. Maybe the Camaro by 50-60lb? It's also down a good 100HP and is gonna get cancelled because nobody wants it. Zupra 3.0 is a cool 25-35% more expensive and doesn't have a stick (yet).

Secondly the Z has been a Japanese Rustang for the last 40+ years. Mustang was a SWB Fairlane; Z has been a SWB Nissan RWD sedan forever.

Obviously no car is perfect. But given that this fixed most of the problems of the 370Z, and more importantly, that Nissan really didn't have to make this, we should be cutting it some slack rather than nitpicking for God knows what reason. What were you expecting this to be, and who has accomplished what you wanted for an inflation adjusted ~$40K base price in the last ~40 years? I dont know when relentless nitpicking became an enthusiast past time but it's becoming really annoying.

Reactions: oidoglr

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts

REminds me of all the whining over the FM platform. "It's old" OK, what problems does its age cause? silence And now everybody else has an FM platform they are never going to update. Nissan is a fun brand to hate. I get it. Thats no excuse to make criticisms that don't make sense. There is plenty of stuff to legitimately dump on Nissan for. But this new Z car isn't part of that.

1201 - 1220 of 1418 Posts