VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1561 - 1580 of 1735 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,066 Posts
So it looks like you have to jump up $10k if you want an LSD and better brakes, which also forces you into black wheels. Not seeing the value there, personally.
If you dont see the value in an LSD/better brakes theres prob nothing in this segment for you.

·
Premium Member
13,066 Posts
****ty Nissan bashing hot takes = internet car guy mating calls. Expect a flirty but unsubstantiated complaint about the FM platform's age soon.

Reactions: Sporin

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Since when are sports cars are value proposition?
If by value proposition, you mean the most utility per dollar and for the lowest cost of ownership , then no sports car is ever going to look like that to you. Go buy a Versa or Corolla Hybrid.

If by value proposition, you mean that you’re willing to compromise on some utility and exchange for greater power and driving dynamics then yes, there is some value.

You can get an 86 for $30k, and a Miata for below that. Can you name any RWD cars for cheaper? Even econoboxes or Camry/Accords with more power than the 86 also cost more, handle worse and aren’t necessarily faster despite their HP advantage.

In the Z’s case it’s slightly cheaper than a V8 pony car, cheaper than Supra, and significantly cheaper than going the M440i/C43 route. And if you want a manual, it’s one of your few choices out there.

·
Registered
Impreza | '86 RX-7 | Ninja 400
11,072 Posts
I'm not seeing the value anywhere with the new Z.
The base model is a good value, but missing at least the LSD is pretty big for a car like this. Brakes I could take or leave depending on if I will track or not.
If you dont see the value in an LSD/better brakes theres prob nothing in this segment for you.
10k for LSD and OE steel brake upgrade? Or were you joking?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Since when are sports cars are value proposition?
They've always been a value proposition haven't they?
"Will this bring me enough joy that I'm willing to part with my money for it?"

It gives you a 400hp V6 for the price of the 4-cylinder Supra with 255hp.
Yes, that's the Z, and for me that holds little value.

I'd rather spend my money on other cars that I think have more value. On the lower end that's the Miata and BRZ/86, in the middle that's the Type R and GR Corolla, and on the high end that's a Supra or some Porsche.

You may value those options differently, but the Z is like a Dodge Challenger to me. I see the appeal, but I don't want one.

·
Premium Member
13,066 Posts
10k for LSD and OE steel brake upgrade? Or were you joking?
If that was all you got for the 10K then yea I'd agree, but it's extremely easy to check what you actually get

LMGTFY - Let Me Google That For You

2023 Nissan Z: Choosing the Right Trim - Autotrader

2023 Nissan Z Performance includes:
Performance upgrades — This trim brings a sport-tuned suspension, a sport muffler, bigger brakes, and a limited-slip differential to the Z.

9-inch infotainment system — This upgraded infotainment system adds a bigger screen, navigation, and a Bose premium audio system.
Better seats and $3000 wheels too. You are not getting all that for $10K a la carte. Whether or not it's worth it is a separate thing but let's at least talk about what actually comes with the upgrade.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
If that was all you got for the 10K then yea I'd agree, but it's extremely easy to check what you actually get

LMGTFY - Let Me Google That For You

2023 Nissan Z: Choosing the Right Trim - Autotrader

Better seats and $3000 wheels too. You are not getting all that for $10K a la carte. Whether or not it's worth it is a separate thing but let's at least talk about what actually comes with the upgrade.
Yes but that's the point, you can't buy a la carte. Nissan knows what they are doing by offering that package because the take rate will be high due to people wanting the LSD (and maybe the seats).

·
Premium Member
13,066 Posts
Yes but that's the point, you can't buy a la carte. Nissan knows what they are doing by offering that package because the take rate will be high due to people wanting the LSD (and maybe the seats).
I thought the point was that 10K was too much for nothing but LSD and bigger brakes. I wonder what the point will be next :D.............

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
I thought the point was that 10K was too much for nothing but LSD and bigger brakes. I wonder what the point will be next.............
As usual, you misquote what was actually said. I said that 10k gets you the LSD and brakes and forces you into ugly black wheels. For me personally, the value is not there because I do not want that other stuff. It's just my opinion.

·
Registered
48,573 Posts
I thought the point was that 10K was too much for nothing but LSD and bigger brakes. I wonder what the point will be next.............
The point for Nissan is to have three trim levels and two transmissions, so that there are 6 cars to choose from other than color. It makes inventory control much easier and cheaper.

·
Premium Member
13,066 Posts
This from the guy who spent his day breathlessly reminding us how much better automatics are than manuals.
Z's main competitor is currently auto only and pretty much the class benchmark so I need more clarity on what your point is..............

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
The point for Nissan is to have three trim levels and two transmissions, so that there are 6 cars to choose from other than color. It makes inventory control much easier and cheaper.
2 trims
2 transmissions
9 color combinations.

That’s at least 36 different ways a Z can be built. Offering additional options like an LSD will likely jack the possible builds by a lot.

Z's main competitor is currently auto only and pretty much the class benchmark so I need more clarity on what your point is..............
You can order a Supra with a manual as of 2023 MY.

·
Premium Member
13,066 Posts
And enthusiasts shat ourselves when the manual was finally announced.
Enthusiasts love to breathlessly say one thing and sheepishly do the opposite. No better example than the gulf between manual love on the internet and manual take rates.

1561 - 1580 of 1735 Posts