VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1581 - 1600 of 1734 Posts

·
Registered
Impreza | '86 RX-7 | Ninja 400
11,072 Posts
Enthusiasts love to breathlessly say one thing and sheepishly do the opposite. No better example than the gulf between manual love on the internet and manual take rates.
Didn't know the Internet contained 100% of buyers.

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
2 trims
2 transmissions
9 color combinations.

That’s at least 36 different ways a Z can be built. Offering additional options like an LSD will likely jack the possible builds by a lot.

You can order a Supra with a manual as of 2023 MY.
To be fair an LSD could (and IMO still should) be a port installed option. But even as is, $50K for the loaded Z is good value IMO. Yea the $35K Camaro LT1 (V8, LSD, manual) exists, but plenty of people are still buying slower + more expensive cars anyway. Z is not bad compared to other $50K performance cars.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Enthusiasts love to breathlessly say one thing and sheepishly do the opposite. No better example than the gulf between manual love on the internet and manual take rates.
I have 5 or 6 manuals and one DSG, the only non-manual I've ever bought in my life. [It was only available with the DSG.] Guess which one is for sale soon?

The vehicle I'm currently obsessed with is an auto-only SUV. So if I actually get it, yeah, you called me out good. Real good.

P.S. Know anyone who does an LX570 manual swap?

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
WRX
Golf R
Civic type R
BMW M5.
All of those cars are/were offered an manual transmission option due to American demand. The CTR likely wouldn’t even be offered here if not for strong Si demand…..which has always been manual only.

And you’re going to sit here and say that manuals don’t sell? Manuals don’t sell mostly because they’re attached to cars that most couldn’t give 2 ****s about driving a manual in.

Does driving a stripped Versa, mid sized Pilot or Avalon sound appealing to driving enjoyment? No? There’s your answer.

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Manuals don’t sell mostly because they’re attached to cars that most couldn’t give 2 ****s about driving a manual in.
So nobody gives a **** about driving a manual in a

3 series
A4
Giulia
Corvette
Pickup truck
Honda Accord
Ferrari
Lamborghini
Aston Martin

Etc.?

Why would automakers across the industry be killing off a transmission that people want to buy? Im guessing here is where you tell me how much more you know about selling cars than the auto industry lmao.

I wouldn't want an integral drivetrain piece installed post-factory.
It's really not that big of a deal.... BMW did it for years without issue with their M Sport diffs or w/e.

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Given all the "save the manual" talk a 9-18% take rate on a sports car seems kind of weak to me. I guess it depends on how you choose to look at it.

·
Registered
Impreza | '86 RX-7 | Ninja 400
11,072 Posts
Given all the "save the manual" talk a 9-18% take rate on a sports car seems kind of weak to me. I guess it depends on how you choose to look at it.
That's a much higher take rate than other segments. The market is the market and automatics are paying the bills.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Did you pull those numbers out of your ass? How about we wait until it's actually on sale?

I've been on Internet forums since shortly after they came into existence. I've rarely come across anyone who talks with such authority with no basis other than misplaced self-confidence.

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Did you pull those numbers out of your ass? How about we wait until it's actually on sale?

I've been on Internet forums since shortly after they came into existence. I've rarely come across anyone who talks with such authority with no basis other than misplaced self-confidence.
I went off the manual take rate for other recent performance sports cars, like the last M3/M4 and C7 Corvette (both in the low 20% range, starting higher and dropping down with each successive MY). If you needed a source, you could have just asked for one instead of ranting and raving and making a fool of yourself. Unless that was your intention, I can't really tell.

Anyways, the comparo is out, and it's good:

1581 - 1600 of 1734 Posts