VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently got in a wreck in New Orleans on vacation. It was a really stupid thing and I was at fault. Anyway, I'm a complete fish out of water there, and my car is not driveable. I had to drive back home for work, but the car is still in New Orleans.

State Farm looked at my car, and gave me an estimate (they didn't catch everything so they'll have to come out again to give me the proper pay out but I can get work started at least).

Right now my car is located at Mid City Automotive and Collision, which seemed to have very negative reviews on the one site I found them on (the police recommended them, and when they got my car they mentioned they do repairs...). Since it's a VW (foreign), I'm very iffy about keeping the car there.

What are the best bets for repairs in New Orleans? At first I didn't want to pay the second towing charge, but now I just want my car to be fixed, and fixed right.

Anyone around New Orleans have suggestions as to where it can be repaired? It needs a new fender, bumper, hood (probably), as well as the front passenger suspension.

State Farm quoted the repairs at around $3500... the guy from Mid City said "probably $7-9000".

I would really really really appreciate any help on this issue.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im up in baton rouge. Im not sure if there is one in New Orleans but if you can find a Cavins auto repair they do excelent work. I just had the whole side of my car painted cause some dip **** keyed it in a parking garage.
Thank you for the tip. It seems like, from a quick Google search, that they are only located in Baton Rouge which I think is a little too far to go for that. I really appreciate the help though. I'm kind of freaking out right now about all this. Mainly because the repairs have to be done right the first time since I can't exactly take it back to the shop a week down the road when I find something else wrong and have them make it right. Although I might be able to get State Farm to do something in that case, I don't know.

· Registered
258 Posts
No problem man. Good luck with it. I know what you mean about doing it right the first time. I cringe at the word "body work" haha. You could post this question in the greater new orleans thread. I have met a few of those guys and they should be able to point you somewhere repitable.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem man. Good luck with it. I know what you mean about doing it right the first time. I cringe at the word "body work" haha. You could post this question in the greater new orleans thread. I have met a few of those guys and they should be able to point you somewhere repitable.
Thanks again man. I'll do that.

· Registered
753 Posts
hi. the stealership recommends hilberts body repair shop near tulane, thats where they sublet all the work out. in the event you go, talk to a gentlemen named francisco, and tell him the as$hole with the rave green sent you. :) i think they do repairs too. and just to throw it out there, the dealership is also in metairie nearby...

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi. the stealership recommends hilberts body repair shop near tulane, thats where they sublet all the work out. in the event you go, talk to a gentlemen named francisco, and tell him the as$hole with the rave green sent you. :) i think they do repairs too. and just to throw it out there, the dealership is also in metairie nearby...
Thanks man. I'll look in to those guys. I'll be flying in so Metairie would actually be fairly convenient, haha.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah.. thats def. easier. give me a shout when you land
Well I won't be flying in until I get the car fixed since I live in Orlando but yeah definitely. I think I will get in touch with the dealer. I'm sure they would be best to deal with something like this. And no potential warranty issues down the line... lol

· Registered
407 Posts
try don dupys in metairie 504 885 2188 its a local body shop that doesnt have to advertise. its close to the dealership and the airport.hilberts is just a notch above mid city, there are others i could recomend if you would like.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
try don dupys in metairie 504 885 2188 its a local body shop that doesnt have to advertise. its close to the dealership and the airport.hilberts is just a notch above mid city, there are others i could recomend if you would like.
Thanks man. Those guys are actually on the "Approved Repair Facility" list for State Farm so that's pretty cool. Do you know if they do other repairs too like suspension and the like?

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
i highly recomend them, suspension and all. they do good body and paint.
I spoke with Don at Dupuy's and he was really nice and helpful. I would have gone with him. However....

The dude at Mid City apparently had my car torn apart and started work on it. I didn't tell him to. I don't know if State Farm told him to. I guess my car's getting fixed there because at this point I just want it done (I'm pretty sure it was planned that way). If it isn't done right and to my satisfaction then I'll raise a ****storm. Hopefully their work is a lot better than their business practices. He said it'll be done by Friday or Tuesday (at the latest) so I guess I'll be hopping on a plane next weekend (or maybe this weekend) and checking it out.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
geez thats kinda bad business practice. i hope it turns out all right in the end. lmk
Yeah it is. Super shady. It's done now though I guess. He said he got all the parts from the dealership (including paint) so I guess at least they are good parts, and assuming they're good at painting, it should be okay.

I just want to get this done lol.

· Registered
441 Posts
Dose the shop have to be in the city or are you willing to get it towed ?
If it has to stay in the city look at "landrys ? " or if you can get it towed to metairie take it to clean fleet , they did ok on my car but im a pickey prick :p

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Evidently steering rack & pinions are in short supply for these cars, as they are still waiting on that as well as a spindle for the front passenger side. I can't believe it's been almost a month since I drove my Jetta :'(

And by the way it's staying at Mid City only because they started work on it, I guess State Farm told them to or something. At the time I figured "what the hell" and just wanted my car done, and it seemed like they could at least do a decent job.

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For anyone who was following, I got my car back.

My power steering light is on, as is the TCS light. TCS is verified as not working. The steering feel is light but it doesn't return to center when I let go of the wheel from a turn so I guess something is up there too. Perhaps something is unplugged. I'll have to look into it.

The joys of having a car wrecked out of town and not having enough PTO to be able to sit and get it fixed there again.

Moral of the story, do not take your car to Mid City, they swore up and down that nothing was wrong anymore.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.