VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 SEL-P-R

1) Are the 245/35R20 tires run flats or no?
2) Is this the tow hook cover? If so, which side do you push in on to remove it? Don't want to mess with it until needed, but just curious:

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, how the hell do you save your home address as a favorite in the nav?

I figured out where to enter my home address and save it, but there seems to be no way at all to save it as a favorite? Owner's manual is way wrong for this.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The tires are not RFT’s. You have a full size spare in the trunk with a wheel that matches the other four mounted. Don’t know if that’s where the tow hook goes. I’m not in my car right now but there is a way to enter and save your home and work address.

·
Registered
157 Posts
With the Nav. Select nav then you will see the lower right corner a box with three horizontal lines. Select the box. You will see once again in the lower right a box with two gears, select that. Select basic functions and from there you can enter your home and work address

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the Nav. Select nav then you will see the lower right corner a box with three horizontal lines. Select the box. You will see once again in the lower right a box with two gears, select that. Select basic functions and from there you can enter your home and work address
Thanks,

Yeah, that I saw and entered, it was getting it into the heart menu I couldn't figure out.

I put in a friend's address and found out how to do it with a non-home address and that works, so it looks like you can't put your home address in the heart favorites menu - but I figured out why you don't need to - you can just swipe down from the top of the infotainment at any time and there's a quick nav link to get you home, so I guess I'm good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
YMMV but i do not recommend taking off the tow hook cover "to just look. But yeah. Theres a notch under there for you to stick the screw driver or some pry bar and remove it. I removed it twice and twice the retaining clips all snapped.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So I spent the entire day learning, digging through menus, etc., setting by setting. Have most of it figured out or set up, but couple more questions:

1) Does this car have brake hold so you can take your foot off the brake at stoplights? Don't think so, but not sure.

2) I'm not sure when Front Assist does and doesn't work, or when the icon at the top of the digital cockpit is and isn't supposed to be there. I did notice that parked in my garage, nose in, if I started the car and put it in drive and inched forward, it would never beep. But then if I put it in reverse, started backing up, it would beep in reverse as expected, and then as soon as I put it in drive to go forward the front sensors were registering and beeping as expected. That is to say, it seems to require you to put the car in reverse once before the front sensors activate in drive moving forward? Seems weird, but clearly I just don't understand how the system works. Also like I said, not sure when the icon is and isn't on the dash. Manual wasn't very helpful. This icon (note that the hourglass is NOT shaded in):

·
Registered
128 Posts
The tires are not RFT’s. You have a full size spare in the trunk with a wheel that matches the other four mounted. Don’t know if that’s where the tow hook goes. I’m not in my car right now but there is a way to enter and save your home and work address.
I don't understand why the premiums get a full size spare while the lesser trims get a donut. Premium sound, cooled seats, 360 camera yeah I get that it makes sense but oh the premium has a full sized spare? I'm sold!

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
The hourglass means the travel assist system is loading and isn’t yet available. Sometimes it’ll do this for a minute or two when you first start the car. Travel assist is activated on the steering wheel and uses the lane centering and ACC to act similar to Tesla’s autopilot. This is separate from setting just ACC and the already active lane keep which bounces the car back and forth.

also, if you drag the top of the screen down when you’re at home, there is a button to select guidance home quickly. You can also adjust the gauge lighting from this pull down menu.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The hourglass means the travel assist system is loading and isn’t yet available. Sometimes it’ll do this for a minute or two when you first start the car. Travel assist is activated on the steering wheel and uses the lane centering and ACC to act similar to Tesla’s autopilot. This is separate from setting just ACC and the already active lane keep which bounces the car back and forth.

also, if you drag the top of the screen down when you’re at home, there is a button to select guidance home quickly. You can also adjust the gauge lighting from this pull down menu.
I'll have to pay attention to this - I had the car idling a lot in the open garage today, turning it on and off for various things while I played around with all different stuff and I feel like the icon was on the dash the whole time I was in the garage...I did take the car out for a short drive and looked down and noticed the icon was gone, so maybe it doesn't activate until you start driving or something?

Still not sure how that interfaces with the sensors beeping when you're about to hit something, which I guess is officially the Park Distance Control feature...still not sure why it doesn't always work when moving forward unless I pop it in reverse first? 2021 Arteon press release just said it should work front and rear if moving under 9 mph, no other conditions.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I'll have to pay attention to this - I had the car idling a lot in the open garage today, turning it on and off for various things while I played around with all different stuff and I feel like the icon was on the dash the whole time I was in the garage...I did take the car out for a short drive and looked down and noticed the icon was gone, so maybe it doesn't activate until you start driving or something?

Still not sure how that interfaces with the sensors beeping when you're about to hit something, which I guess is officially the Park Distance Control feature...still not sure why it doesn't always work when moving forward unless I pop it in reverse first? 2021 Arteon press release just said it should work front and rear if moving under 9 mph, no other conditions.
Yes you need to start driving for the system to fully initiate and the hour glass to go away. Although it doesn’t happen all the time.

the pdc will automatically turn on as you approach things from the front. It also monitors around the vehicle using the park assistant sensors on the side which is cool.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
there is a way to trick the car into holding the brakes for you, this is what i do.

when at a complete stop turn on cruise control and set your speed. the car will hold itself until you lightly tap the acceleration pedal and then just let the car drive itself. its not the most sophisticated in the world but its a work around.

Reactions: puma1552

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the pdc will automatically turn on as you approach things from the front. It also monitors around the vehicle using the park assistant sensors on the side which is cool.
Thanks, I'll have to play around and do more testing to see why the front PDC sensors don't always actuate when putting the car right into drive and inching forward with a toolbox sitting just a few feet in front of me. Could just be a software bug or something.

·
Registered
38 Posts
there is a way to trick the car into holding the brakes for you, this is what i do.

when at a complete stop turn on cruise control and set your speed. the car will hold itself until you lightly tap the acceleration pedal and then just let the car drive itself. its not the most sophisticated in the world but its a work around.
Is it really so difficult to keep your foot on the brake at a stoplight that we need to come up with ways to trick the car…..that all seem like much more of a pain in the ass vs just keeping your foot on the brake.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Getting things mostly sorted now, couple more straggler questions -

1) For an SEL-P-R, is there ambient lighting in the rear footwells? It doesn't look like I have it, so I'm guessing the answer to this is "no".
2) For the red reflectors in the bottoms of each of the doors, should those red reflectors light up at any point? I do have the "VW" puddle projectors coming out of the bottom of the front two, but wondering if the red parts on any of the four are supposed to light up when you open your door into traffic or if they are just passive reflectors.
3) The world has set the sun on my beloved iPod classic, turns out it is not supported which is a bummer. Don't want to hassle with bluetooth, would always prefer a hardwired connection - does anyone know if the MIB3 system supports the current iPod touch that Apple sells?

Then just a couple of FYI questions:

1) Is this 5th generation haldex? I know my old Tiguan has a 4th gen system which I believe is 90/10 F/R in normal driving, and cannot decouple the rear wheels completely. I also know the 2018+ Tiguans got the 5th generation, which can decouple the rear wheels completely, and I know from reading that the Arteon system is normally decoupled, so I'm wondering if this is a 5th gen system or maybe a newer 6th gen system?
2) Similarly, is the engine the gen 3B version of the EA888? Or is it a newer gen?

Thanks for helping a noob learn as much as possible about a complex car.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also, digging into the front PDC thing - did some googling and found multiple reports over the years from BMW/Land Rover/VW etc. about front PDC sensors not engaging until the car is either put in reverse or only if the park assist button is manually turned on when starting the car and putting it straight into drive. Forum reports are that this is normal behavior and by design.

I went out and started my car, put it right into drive, nothing beeped, but then as soon as I hit the park assist button they went crazy as expected and the area view camera popped up with front warnings. I will note that the car seems to have a short term memory too - I shut the car off, got out, locked it with KESSY, then waited for the digital cockpit to go black. Got back in the car, started it, put it in drive, and the park assist popped up and front sensors went off again. Tried it again after waiting a while, and the sensors did not go off until I hit the park assist button. So looks like everything is working as designed and similar to other manufacturers, and it seems the car has a very short term memory (similar to heated/ventilated seat memory) if you shut it off for a brief moment.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Had the car out last night in the dark for the first time, noticed one other thing -

The AFS headlights do the dance upon startup, but don't actually swivel side to side in curves, which is sort of a bummer.

On my Tiguan, every single time you start the car, you can physically see the entire xenon bulb move up and down and side to side, and then the lights move side to side when driving. On this car, the LED units don't physically move upon startup, and the lights do not swivel when driving (corner lights do come on as expected).

I suspect this is because the adaptive nature of these lights is accomplished by turning on and off multiple small LEDs within the headlight, which is not allowed by US regulations, instead of having the entire unit stay lit and physically move like in my Tiguan?

My wife's Benz is the same way, has multibeam LED headlights that are gimped by regulations. Her headlights have 84 LEDs in each headlight and the adaptive nature is achieved by turning on and off any number of the LEDs in the headlights as needed, vs. the entire unit staying lit and physically moving. My understanding is that US regulations don't allow for headlights that alter the beam pattern by turning LEDs within the headlight on and off.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts