VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Getting things mostly sorted now, couple more straggler questions -

1) For an SEL-P-R, is there ambient lighting in the rear footwells? It doesn't look like I have it, so I'm guessing the answer to this is "no".
2) For the red reflectors in the bottoms of each of the doors, should those red reflectors light up at any point? I do have the "VW" puddle projectors coming out of the bottom of the front two, but wondering if the red parts on any of the four are supposed to light up when you open your door into traffic or if they are just passive reflectors.
3) The world has set the sun on my beloved iPod classic, turns out it is not supported which is a bummer. Don't want to hassle with bluetooth, would always prefer a hardwired connection - does anyone know if the MIB3 system supports the current iPod touch that Apple sells?

Then just a couple of FYI questions:

1) Is this 5th generation haldex? I know my old Tiguan has a 4th gen system which I believe is 90/10 F/R in normal driving, and cannot decouple the rear wheels completely. I also know the 2018+ Tiguans got the 5th generation, which can decouple the rear wheels completely, and I know from reading that the Arteon system is normally decoupled, so I'm wondering if this is a 5th gen system or maybe a newer 6th gen system?
2) Similarly, is the engine the gen 3B version of the EA888? Or is it a newer gen?

Thanks for helping a noob learn as much as possible about a complex car.
1. no, no ambient lighting in the footwells, however some have done LED strip lighting to add the effect, but thats not for me...
2. i believe they are just reflectors, at least the rears.
3. yes, ipod has both bluetooth and usb connections available. check your glovebox, if not you can connect directly inside your center console.

1. not sure on the haldex, i would be interested to see this info.
2. this is actually an Audi engine (this is also why the Arteon was delayed so long to be sold in the US, Audi needed to certify the engine and didnt complete this in time) but we have engine code DLRB, which is basically a detuned S3/.:R motor. everything is the same i.e. turbo, pistons, compression - just less HP/TQ and a ****ty transmission.

Is it really so difficult to keep your foot on the brake at a stoplight that we need to come up with ways to trick the car…..that all seem like much more of a pain in the ass vs just keeping your foot on the brake.
no, its not.
but the OP asked a question and an answer was provided.
and honestly you took more effort to make and post this comment than it does to press 1 button and move my foot...how does that make you feel?

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
1. no, no ambient lighting in the footwells, however some have done LED strip lighting to add the effect, but thats not for me...
2. i believe they are just reflectors, at least the rears.
3. yes, ipod has both bluetooth and usb connections available. check your glovebox, if not you can connect directly inside your center console.

1. not sure on the haldex, i would be interested to see this info.
2. this is actually an Audi engine (this is also why the Arteon was delayed so long to be sold in the US, Audi needed to certify the engine and didnt complete this in time) but we have engine code DLRB, which is basically a detuned S3/.:R motor. everything is the same i.e. turbo, pistons, compression - just less HP/TQ and a ****ty transmission.
Thanks for all this, the front doors also appear to just have reflectors, which makes sense because there needs to be space behind that reflector for the VW projector and wiring that shoots out underneath it.

I was pleasantly surprised by the little ambient light in the cupholders and how the light shines up into the little handle to open the cover.

Hopefully I won't have any IS38 turbo issues long term, I hear these can have issues, but not sure if that's stock or just when tuned.

I've got an iPod touch 7th generation (current version) being delivered tomorrow, hopefully it is fully supported via a USB-C to lightning cable.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
yea, i really enjoy the cabin and interior while at night. cup holder lighting, ambient and the lighting by the sunroof add nice little touches to the ambience. i have mine on, but at their lowest light setting.

ive been APR+ tuned since my car hit 500 miles (currently sitting at 20k in 26 months) have had no problems with the car. i think at this stage of this motor and all of the revisions to the turbo they have made, it should be a stout little motor and last a long while.

good luck on the ipod, i just do everything bluetooth since the car can connect multiple devices. i have my personal phone and work phone connected to mine at the sametime. all the while using android auto.

Reactions: puma1552

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Had the car out last night in the dark for the first time, noticed one other thing -

The AFS headlights do the dance upon startup, but don't actually swivel side to side in curves, which is sort of a bummer.

On my Tiguan, every single time you start the car, you can physically see the entire xenon bulb move up and down and side to side, and then the lights move side to side when driving. On this car, the LED units don't physically move upon startup, and the lights do not swivel when driving (corner lights do come on as expected).

I suspect this is because the adaptive nature of these lights is accomplished by turning on and off multiple small LEDs within the headlight, which is not allowed by US regulations, instead of having the entire unit stay lit and physically move like in my Tiguan?

My wife's Benz is the same way, has multibeam LED headlights that are gimped by regulations. Her headlights have 84 LEDs in each headlight and the adaptive nature is achieved by turning on and off any number of the LEDs in the headlights as needed, vs. the entire unit staying lit and physically moving. My understanding is that US regulations don't allow for headlights that alter the beam pattern by turning LEDs within the headlight on and off.
That’s not the case with the headlights. The projectors physically turn. I know they do as I have seen it on many occasions separate from the static cornering lights which are mounted perpendicular to the moving projector. They also do a crazy startup routine where the go down out make the DLA cut etc.
they’re def moving.

I know that it disables the AFS If you have the all weather lights activated (the button next to the light knob). But if they’re not moving for you, then there might be something wrong with yours.

Also, my PDC always automatically activates in the front when it notices something. I remember there was a setting for it in the car menu settings to automatically activate. I think it was with the settings where you can change the tone and volume of the park sensors front or rear.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That’s not the case with the headlights. The projectors physically turn. I know they do as I have seen it on many occasions separate from the static cornering lights which are mounted perpendicular to the moving projector. They also do a crazy startup routine where the go down out make the DLA cut etc.
they’re def moving.

I know that it disables the AFS If you have the all weather lights activated (the button next to the light knob). But if they’re not moving for you, then there might be something wrong with yours.

Also, my PDC always automatically activates in the front when it notices something. I remember there was a setting for it in the car menu settings to automatically activate. I think it was with the settings where you can change the tone and volume of the park sensors front or rear.
Hmm, is yours a '21? SEL-P-R? Wonder if they've made some subtle software changes.

My projectors definitely didn't physically move upon remote start when I kneel down and watch them, but when I start the car from inside the car and turn the headlights on immediately they do a super cool dance as expected. Do you need to be in auto headlight mode? I was not, didn't think to try it that way yet. All weather lights were not on either.

The startup dance really looked a lot like my wife's Benz, where leds clearly appear to be turning on and off, vs. my Tiguan where it's just one beam on each side moving around.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Hmm, is yours a '21? SEL-P-R? Wonder if they've made some subtle software changes.

My projectors definitely didn't physically move upon remote start when I kneel down and watch them, but when I start the car from inside the car and turn the headlights on immediately they do a super cool dance as expected. Do you need to be in auto headlight mode? I was not, didn't think to try it that way yet. All weather lights were not on either.

The startup dance really looked a lot like my wife's Benz, where leds clearly appear to be turning on and off, vs. my Tiguan where it's just one beam on each side moving around.
Yes I have a 2021. Had a 2019 previously.

The lights need to be in automatic for AFS to function. That’s probably why you weren’t seeing it. I’ll have to try and take a video for you. You can see the projectors physically move.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts

Whenever you start the car (not remote start but physical start it), the lights will go through their test cycle even if they are not on. You can see in this video how it is swiveling out and back in before leveling up. They do physically move. Must be in auto and all weather lights off. They are very noticeable at night as both move simultaneously.

There is also dynamic light assist which is different from the matrix lighting out there and different from the standard Vw light assist auto high beams, in which you can code the car to create the “cut out” in the beam so that you don’t blind the car in front of you.

The reason it’s not considered matrix lighting is because it isn’t multiple diodes acting individually like many newer euro cars, it is an MDF based system which uses shutters to cover part of the beam. That’s why you see what looks like a U when you start the car at night during the test cycle. It is a preview of the DLA which hasn’t been fully activated in the US.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thank you tremendously - you were right, needed to be in auto mode. Turned the knob to auto, started it and ran around the front and sure enough they were physically moving. Perfect, thanks. Loving this car so far.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok who's gonna be the first to find the coding for activating DLA on NAR Arteons or has it been already?

I haven't tried this at night yet on my Arteon but my BMW I had the adaptive turning headlights as well which wasn't that noticeable on low beam but on high beam it was very noticeable.....which should be for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Ok who's gonna be the first to find the coding for activating DLA on NAR Arteons or has it been already?

I haven't tried this at night yet on my Arteon but my BMW I had the adaptive turning headlights as well which wasn't that noticeable on low beam but on high beam it was very noticeable.....which should be for obvious reasons.
Just activated it. The instructions were a bit off though. Needed to make some changes in 4B as well. Will test it out later.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Do you remember where this setting is? I don't recall seeing any setting like that in all the menus I dug into, when I went back into the assist systems, there is no PDC nor Park Assist settings, closest thing I have is Front assist, but I don't see anything about warning tones/volumes or an automatic setting anywhere:

I think at this point the PDC stuff is maybe the only pending mystery I have left on the car. I have got the area view to pop up a couple times when starting out in drive and pulling up to something, but at least in this case it wasn't beeping, not sure if it's because the volume button in the lower corner isn't on (I'm assuming the yellow highlighting is on, so in this case the volume is off and the other one is on (and I'm assuming the one that's yellow is automatic braking but I'm not sure))?

Honestly, the owner's manual sorta sucks because it covers so many markets and models etc.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Do you remember where this setting is? I don't recall seeing any setting like that in all the menus I dug into, when I went back into the assist systems, there is no PDC nor Park Assist settings, closest thing I have is Front assist, but I don't see anything about warning tones/volumes or an automatic setting anywhere:

I think at this point the PDC stuff is maybe the only pending mystery I have left on the car. I have got the area view to pop up a couple times when starting out in drive and pulling up to something, but at least in this case it wasn't beeping, not sure if it's because the volume button in the lower corner isn't on (I'm assuming the yellow highlighting is on, so in this case the volume is off and the other one is on (and I'm assuming the one that's yellow is automatic braking but I'm not sure))?

Honestly, the owner's manual sorta sucks because it covers so many markets and models etc.
The setting is in a different menu. Press the car button on the right side of the screen, then in the bottom right corner of the screen there is a settings button. From there the PDC settings are accessed.

also you have the logic reversed. When yellow, that means you have turned off the function since the line crossing out the function means the selection deactivates it. Top one is auto stop, bottom one is sound. You can adjust the sound in the PdC menu including how much it lowers the audio when activated and the tone. I think the volume knob also does this when the pdc is active so maybe you accidentally turned it down thinking you were turning down the stereo to hear it?

·
Registered
157 Posts
The setting is in a different menu. Press the car button on the right side of the screen, then in the bottom right corner of the screen there is a settings button. From there the PDC settings are accessed.

also you have the logic reversed. When yellow, that means you have turned off the function since the line crossing out the function means the selection deactivates it. Top one is auto stop, bottom one is sound. You can adjust the sound in the PdC menu including how much it lowers the audio when activated and the tone. I think the volume knob also does this when the pdc is active so maybe you accidentally turned it down thinking you were turning down the stereo to hear it?
Good info. I did not know that. As stated above the owners manual doesn‘t explain things very well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I spent the entire day learning, digging through menus, etc., setting by setting. Have most of it figured out or set up, but couple more questions:

1) Does this car have brake hold so you can take your foot off the brake at stoplights? Don't think so, but not sure.

2) I'm not sure when Front Assist does and doesn't work, or when the icon at the top of the digital cockpit is and isn't supposed to be there. I did notice that parked in my garage, nose in, if I started the car and put it in drive and inched forward, it would never beep. But then if I put it in reverse, started backing up, it would beep in reverse as expected, and then as soon as I put it in drive to go forward the front sensors were registering and beeping as expected. That is to say, it seems to require you to put the car in reverse once before the front sensors activate in drive moving forward? Seems weird, but clearly I just don't understand how the system works. Also like I said, not sure when the icon is and isn't on the dash. Manual wasn't very helpful. This icon (note that the hourglass is NOT shaded in):

View attachment 105167
Hi
I'm so glad it's not just me trying to figure out my brand new 2021 Arteon, only had it 5 days and man there is a lot to take in. I've sat in my driveway doing same as you, seen the symbol appear and tried to figure out what it means, the manual doesn't even say anything about it.
The only issue I'm have now is activating We Connect and become primary user, just can't get that to work, keeps telling to try again or call customers services.

Regards
Craig

Reactions: puma1552

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

Thanks, found it - and actually once I saw it again I remembered I actually had gone through those settings on Sunday, it is set to automatically engage (granted it doesn't specify front or rear, just the whole system in general). Front PDC still eems to be hit or miss if I don't put the car in reverse first, I probably need to spend time driving the car and subjecting it to different conditions to try and learn if there are only certain conditions that it works or what, only have 120 miles on the car a d so far it's all been just driving around on open roads and back home. Or it could just be buggy software.

Curious, does your PDC go off all the time in stop and go traffic? Trying to figure out how it wouldn't...it almost makes more sense to me for the front to not go off at all unless you manually turn it on via the park assist button. Then again when I put my car in reverse before putting it in drive and the front PDC beeps as I pull out of my garage, it still doesn't beep in traffic behind cars at light...not sure how the car knows the difference, but I guess it does.

Sidebar, I turned off lane keep assist tonight...got tired of it trying to pull me into turn lanes when I was trying to go straight on really wide two lane shouldered suburban roads that have a big X'd out yellow center lane that periodically opens up to be a left turn lane. Lane keep is pretty aggressive on this car.

·
Registered
2008 EOS Komfort, 2019 Autobahn GLI, 2021 Arteon SEL P
10 Posts
This seems like the best place to post this for my fellow 21 SEL P R-lines... is the wireless charger located in the compartment behind the shifter?

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
This seems like the best place to post this for my fellow 21 SEL P R-lines... is the wireless charger located in the compartment behind the shifter?
My pdc does go off in traffic. But it usually doesn’t beep unless I’m the closest it gets. it just shows the bars on the little car cutout otherwise.

I know mine goes off every time I pull out of my alley since it is a big dip and it thinks I’m going to hit so it beeps solid.

Yes that’s where the wireless charger is located. It will pop up on the screen with a little message saying it is charging the phone wirelessly. Usually takes like 30 seconds or so.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
damn, everyone making me want to get a 21 Arteon hahaha
my 19 cant do ****!

·
Registered
2008 EOS Komfort, 2019 Autobahn GLI, 2021 Arteon SEL P
10 Posts
Yes that’s where the wireless charger is located. It will pop up on the screen with a little message saying it is charging the phone wirelessly. Usually takes like 30 seconds or so.
Was afraid you'd say that... mine doesn't seem to have one. The window tag say's it comes equipped with one, but I've tried a few phones and never had luck. I guess I'll talk to my dealer about it when I get my free bumperdillo.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Was afraid you'd say that... mine doesn't seem to have one. The window tag say's it comes equipped with one, but I've tried a few phones and never had luck. I guess I'll talk to my dealer about it when I get my free bumperdillo.
Not sure which 21 trim you have but i think it’s only on sel and sel p

21 - 40 of 61 Posts