VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a cherry BMP with 300mi. on it.
Jumping from a 79 Canadian GTI 2.0 ABA with 300K miles on it to the current incarnation GTI with 300 miles on it, is quite a trip... I love it!
There is so much to love, and a few things to disappoint:
1) Engine vibrations at higher revs:
- Thanks to the drive-by-wire throttle you don't feel it in your right foot. You do feel it in the shifter and clutch pedal.
- Be interesting if the weighted shifter from HPA Motorsports feels better
- Anyone made engine related mods that dampens the "buzz"?
2) No room for gauges:
- Gosh that monsoon is huge!
- Anyone seen a 2 gauge steering pod mount for a boost and oil temp?
- The A'pex gauges look like a good match - http://www.ttstuff.com/gauges_apexi.php
3) Shift knob cheap:
- My right hand is always on the shifter, it should feel nice. Plastic with a huge ridge where it meets the rod just isn't athesitically pleasing.
- There looks to be a nice alumminum alternative @ electrodyne http://www.electrodyne.cc/Merc...39250
4) Front GTI badge flimsy:
- Actually looking at the clips on the back of the badge, I don't see how it can lock in completely. Anyone resolve this?

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Re: New owner observations (RobinG)

Quote, originally posted by RobinG »

- Actually looking at the clips on the back of the badge, I don't see how it can lock in completely. Anyone resolve this?

If you switch it to the other side it seems to clip in better IMO. I swicthed mine over for a couple reasons and after found out it fits more secure. Its still not perfect but better.
As for the shift knob I like mine, but alot of people have said really good things about the R32 knob. Check into that one also.
The Gauges alot of people put gauges up on the 337/20th. Do a search it may help. Im sure people will post up some pics for you also.
I cant comment on that Engine Vib. b/c I have no problem with that.
Congrads on the car....When did you buy it and for how much? Alot of others are still looking for new 20ths. Hope you checked those 300 miles from the dealer also. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: New owner observations (Cluemanti)

I'm the second owner. The first owner bought it from the dealer in Aug. right off the truck. Didn't even let them detail it, kept it in an Air Conditioned garage and left the plastic on the seats/pedals. Drove it around the block every once in a while for the 6 mo. he had it.

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
Quote »

Quit b1tching?
It's fine where it is. If you don't like it because your afraid it will "fall off" then take it off..You don't need to describe something stupid like that........
Congrats on the car though.
Also, if your sick of the vibrations? Buy some new stiffer motor mounts, you'll love your recarossage....

·
Registered
11,431 Posts
Re: New owner observations (RobinG)

Quote, originally posted by RobinG »
3) Shift knob cheap:
- My right hand is always on the shifter, it should feel nice. Plastic with a huge ridge where it meets the rod just isn't athesitically pleasing.

You're resting your hand on the shifter while driving? Baad idea. Your tranny will die prematurely.
All in all some pretty petty complaints - obviously much more to like than those little nits. Not sure what you mean about the virbrations, maybe something ain't right with your car.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: New owner observations (cae92283)

Petty complaints - exactly. I guess this thread is one big love fest...
I've been driving VW's since '75 and I kinda expected the 1.8T with all it's claimed wizardry to be "rotary" smooth. I guess a guy with these kind of expectations should've got a 6.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts