VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I just got an 01 A4 2.8l Quattto in a trade for my bagged 86 Mercedes 300e. The kid that I traded pretty much bull****ted the whole description of the car. But I figured even in its horrid shape, it has more potential than my Benz.
I am probably wrong.
Ok, here is a rundown:
171k (no service history or idea on timing belts)
Interior is trashed. Looks like Freddy Kruger went nuts on the seats. Just about every panel is cracked. And the kid took a prybar to get the stereo/climate control out.
Passenger side fender and both doors are smashed.
Both engine mounts and trans mounts are blown
No heat or A/C.
Suspension is shot. The putz cut the coils and left them in there jingling around.
They cut the muffler off to, quote, "Make it sound good"

I've replaced the climate control unit, new stereo, and MAF. Still no heat or A/C. Fixed some of the wiring issues and got all of the lights working, got a new air dam to replace the missing one due to the kid going four wheeling. I also took an hour or so getting the ****ty Plastidip off the factory wheels.

Upsides are it has a strong powertrain and is really smooth for the shear amount of ****boxness the car exudes. It is a weirdly equipped car with S-Line steering wheel and all light grey interior.
I only had $900 in the Benz so I have no problem throwing money at the Audi. I'm all about second chances. Parts are cheap and there are like 4 of them in Pull-A-Part right now.

That's my story. As soon as I get permission from the Admins Ill post pics

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
if you plan on keeping this car I would do a full timing belt job right away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im already on it. One is getting ordered this week. Its a third/project so its not a relied upon daily driver

·
Registered
554 Posts
Definitely decide if its really worth it to you to throw money at it, that much work can get expensive quick, and to change the heater core it requires taking the whole dash apart just to get to the little bastard hahah. Everything else you mentioned is somewhat easy but depending on parts you go with not cheap. You will prob have good luck at the yard and get most of your interior panels and whatnot, also keep an eye out for any of the cars there that might have some upgraded sway bars or suspension components that you could snag to help offset the costs of new great start so far, cant wait to see what the end result looks like. Definitely post pics when you can!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts