VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never thought a day would come I'd get my hands on one of these.

So my history of B5 goes as such
01 Santorin sedan TQM
00 Jaspis Green sedan TQM
01 Brilliant Black sedan TQM
01 Laser Red Avant TQM
00 Brilliant Yellow Avant 2.8 Quattro Auto
01Casablanca Avant 2.8 Quattro Auto

And now..........

01 Pelican Blue Avant TQM

Always found them near and far and usually as a sedan. The cheap ones were far and the closer ones were pricey.

So some detail on the car. I found it on an auction site and knew I gotta have it. In the pics I noticed red top coil packs, wheels, cheap side skirts and missing grill. So in some ways there's gotta be an enthusiast somewhere. The car was located in Iowa, so when I got to it I noticed more rust up close, car was painted, but rust fought back. It's got cloth seats without the heated seat but clean nonetheless. It's got a water leak somewhere smells musty and noticed water after a rain storm.

The battery was flat but started with a jump. Drove it out the lot and down to get washed. Was gonna start my drive back to NY but there was too violent a shake at anything over 40 and it felt underpowered. Got it to a shop and they quoted me $500 to repair a seized caliper, replace both pads and rotors, flush brake fluids. Screw that, took the car back, bought some AutoZone tools and a new caliper and brake lines and off to NY I go. AC works great, slight exhaust leak but I managed 35 MPG even with a CEL for a MAF sensor. Got a bit of plans for her, gonna do something with the turbo, heads, injectors, wheels, rip those fenders off prolly go S4 kits, the Raceland coilover suspension gotta go. The only other car I have is the Brilliant Yellow so that'll end up being my daily. I'm just excited to finally get a Pelican B5. What y'all think?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Honestly the rust isn't too bad. Love pelican blue-- I saw an avant like this on CL and really wanted it, but it had a dent in it.

Followed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It did have me in the pics, I keep playing around I need to see u see the car but yea I'm glad I got one.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my excitement was short lived. Last Friday after work this happened. Insurance is trying to total the car. Valued at 2100 and to fix is 2800. Shop is charging $1000 for a bumper and taillight. Gonna try to shop for another estimate so I can get her back on the road.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Total loss $2800 in repair estimates. $1000 for parts... A bumper and a taillight. Rest is labor.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still have it, hasn't been fixed yet, my current daily as my valves on the brilliant yellow wagon is tapping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts