VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so what does everyone think of the new GTO? will it sell? will it go? do you like the looks? what are the specs? lets talk about it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif personally I think it will be a hit.

· Registered
11,604 Posts
Re: new pontiac GTO... opinions? (WOT)

if i had the money i would buy one...its a great substitute for a M5 at half the price. some would agree with me and some won't i don't care. the only problem that it will have with people is the looks and the amount of trunk space...due to safety problems the gas tank was moved to the trunk for some odd reason making it very small.

· Registered
9,525 Posts
Re: (All_Texan)

I like it, my buddy is going to order one soon......local dealer only has 1 on order, one black available incoming also. Salesguy said getting one won't be an issue, he might be able to do $1k off MSRP (if not $500).

· Registered
275 Posts
I'm so much more impressed with it now than when I first saw pictures of it. The power and performance has won out and made me realize that the car does have a more modern look (I too got stuck on nostalgia and originally hated the new GTO look.) I think year two when they start to add some creature comforts like sunroofs, heated seats and navigation, will lead to more sales.

· Registered
840 Posts

I know it's going to be really fast, great price, etc. BUT...
I saw it in person at the car show, and it's definitely a Pontiac. I recognized hints of Grand Am and Grand Prix. It looked cheap to me. I was bummed. They took the Holden and "Pontiacked" it, which basically means "add ugly plastic".
There is a reason Camaros always looked better than Firebirds - call it the Pontiac effect.

· Banned
6,222 Posts
Re: (NotVinDiesel)

Quote, originally posted by NotVinDiesel »
And where was this "ugly" plastic added? I don't remember seeing any plastic body cladding on the vehicle. They basically changed out the grill and the tail lights from the Monaro.

exactly.

· Registered
5,528 Posts

looks too much like a grand am on steroids, basically boring. it should have been a much more intriguing design, not just same old pontiac. doensn't do the original justice, & with all the great cars out there today i don't think it will sell well, vette engine or not.

· Registered
98 Posts
Have you guys seen the Monaros we get down under?
We have one available with 300kW......

check out http://www.holden.com.au and http://www.hsv.com.au
they look much better too...
funny thing is we ship them half way around the world and you guys get them CHEAPER than us!
I love the new GTO, simply because it provides hard-working Aussies with jobs!!

Other than that, they are quite a good car, but the Ford Falcon (developed and sold here, but not available for export... Ford is stupid...) is a much better car all round. Fit and Finished like a Japanese car, with a 185kw 6, a 240 and 280kw T6, and 260 and 290Kw V8s.....
handles brilliantly too!

If only they made a Falcon Coupe!

· Registered
I have a thing for Mazdas
7,333 Posts
Re:

Whether or not it looks "cheap" or "plasticky", either way from what I've heard and seen (in pics) it looks like a big leap over most existing Pontiac models. If those sell, I see no reason why the GTO won't. If they can sell Bonneville GXPs for $36K, then they can sell GTOs for $33K. I really don't foresee Pontiac having any trouble getting these out the door.

Modified by 03kpa at 3:02 AM 1-9-2004

2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
36,331 Posts
Re: new pontiac GTO... opinions? (petesell)

Quote, originally posted by petesell »
looks too much like a grand am on steroids, basically boring. it should have been a much more intriguing design, not just same old pontiac. doensn't do the original justice, & with all the great cars out there today i don't think it will sell well, vette engine or not.

Right, because the original had such groundbreaking, unique styling.

· Registered
24,124 Posts
Re: Re: (cm_ls1)

Quote, originally posted by cm_ls1 »
cheap and plasticky ?

Is that a bowtie on the steering wheel?

· Registered
14,021 Posts
Re: new pontiac GTO... opinions? (CanuckPal)

Quote, originally posted by CanuckPal »

Right, because the original had such groundbreaking, unique styling.

aha! someone ELSE sees the light!
i think a lot of you are missing the point of the GTO (and quite possibly the point of several muscle cars from the past).
it used to be that they would grab the lightest, most plain car they had in production, and stuff the biggest powerplant they had in it, with as few options as possible.
the end result was a family sedan that looked no different from any other but with something pretty inspiring under the hood.
that was the point.
fast forward to present.
the GTO doesn't look special. it doesn't even look fast. in fact, it looks quite bland... kind of like all the other pontiacs.
but it's fast. it's capable. and you would never know it by looking at it.
those who think it doesn't hold up to what the old GTO used to be: you're wrong.... look again.
it was never MEANT to be a sportscar. i was meant to be bland, cost effective, and to surprise the guy in the other lane.
mission accomplished. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.