VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Power windows that is

Not sure why everyone seems to think you cant put the cabby power windows set up in a non cabby...but you sure can. Took about 3.5hrs start to finish and it all works great. Got the power window switches from a rocco2 with the wiring and will be putting those in tonight http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (Trev0rBr)

Yup oldskool BAE turbo kit, swapped some parts with a buddy for it. It even had a recent rebuild of the turbo. It with adjustments to the smoke screw were night and day, in diesel terms anyway.
It will actually accelerate on the highway in 5th gear now

· Registered
426 Posts
Re: New Power in the Diesel Coupe (grizzlyone)

Quote, originally posted by grizzlyone »

Not sure why everyone seems to think you cant put the cabby power windows set up in a non cabby...but you sure can. Took about 3.5hrs start to finish and it all works great. Got the power window switches from a rocco2 with the wiring and will be putting those in tonight http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

What all did you take from the donor car, Is it drop in or was fabricating and welding necessary?

· Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: New Power in the Diesel Coupe (funkengruven GTi)

I took the doors from the cabby, as the window regs sit *back* from the inner skin of the door. There are 3 *parts* i cut out of each cabby door. 2 had U shaped tabs spot welded to the back of the door. One, which can be seen in the pic, is a cross brace.
So what I did was use a grinder to cut out larger sections around each of the 3 parts I needed so I could both drill out the spot welds and use them as templates to lay on my doors. That way I could both mark for the 4 3/4" holes and 2 6mm holes that needed to be drilled in my doors. As well as mark where I drilled out the spot welds so that i could rivet the 3 parts onto my doors. Again you can see the rivets on the diagonal brace in the pic above.
But no I had to make no parts, nor did I have to weld as I used rivets. I am actually in the midst of wiring in the switches and taking a beer brake

Modified by grizzlyone at 9:00 PM 3-23-2010

· Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (wildwittlewabbit)

Quote, originally posted by wildwittlewabbit »
no timing belt cover? brave man haha
do you have one of giles's pumps?

Its off in prep for a new motor going in very soon. The current one has very high miles and very low oil pressure when up to temp. I have another complete motor I had bored .5mm over with new pistons, pump, etc along with a rebuilt head. I have a spare pump off that motor and plan to send it off to Giles very soon

· Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (wildwittlewabbit)

Its a silicone 90* bend
Windows are still working great, tho one of the rocco2 switches I used is on the fritz and only likes to work in the up direction. So looking for a replacment switch if anyone has one

· Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: New Power in the Diesel Coupe (deathhare.)

I'll try and remember to take some video of them.
Also added more 'power' to the coupe, Hirshman power radio antenna.
Next step is to wire up the rado leather heated seats with the MK3 seat controllers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.