VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Im new to VWs. I just picked up a 84 rabbit GTI. Its been sitting for god knows how many years and the inside was filled with 2 inches of water. I drained out as much as i could and pulled the front seats. I am working on pulling the carpet as well to find out how bad the floor too it with the water sitting on it. Im expecting to find some rot but have not found any on the floor yet. My main question is...where could this water be coming from. I pulled that plastic filler panel between the engine and the windshield and there was nothing covering the blower motor. Is there supposed to be something sealing that up? I will get some pictures up soon but its a rough car to say the least. The rear panel is really rotted to hell along with the hatch. There is a rot hole where the spare tire goes that i can see from the outside. The passenger door has rot at the bottom but the drivers is clean. I didnt buy it for all that much so i dont think i made out too bad.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok thanks for the quick reply. Yea the interior is really gross right now. I started pulling up the carpet last night and so far i didnt find rot suprisingly. The hatch def leaks im sure since its rotted out. The Rain tray is just covered in junk from sitting so ill vacuum it out and really get it clean. The plastic cover is not in the best of shape. You def gave me some things to go on. Oh yea its a hardtop car so no sunroof to worry about.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well after spending the WHOLE morning pulling the carpet out (why the hell did they have to glue it), i got my first look at the floors...that is after i scrapped up that 1/4 inch thick plasticy like substance. Only found one rot hole right where the drivers right heal would be. Thats it. Everything else looked good. I was very surprised though. Also found more water though in that compartment in front of the drivers and passengers footwells. I popped the drain plugs under the car and water gushed out of that too. How did the water get in there? Did it come in from my flooded interior or did it cause my interior to flood?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Re: (hatchsub)

leaks from around the windshield and radio antenna are common. If the the little scupper valve drain thingies in the rain tray are clogged, the raintray will fill up with water which then runs down into the heater/AC intake.

Modified by crewsr at 7:14 AM 7-14-2009

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well this morning i shop-vac'd the rain tray out. There was a ton of crap in there and the water was indeed backing up into the heating unit. I got both drains unclogged and then washed the entire car. Got a good amount of years worth of grim off of it and it looks semi-decent now. Also no more water came in when i washed it so i think i fixed the problem with cleaning out the rain tray.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.