VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Been a while since I've been in this forum. I had an 84 Scirocco and then an 82 that I turned into an all motor 8v drag car back in 07-08 ish.

Been out of VWs for a while and just recently built a 24V turbo Mk4 for a fun car.

Anyways, I just found this and thought it would make a good project. No rust on it. It has a half assed 16V carb conversion that will need some work to run and it needs interior work and the usual bits and pieces. Paint job is pretty cheap on it but it has some gloss to it.

Anybody know what type of wheels these are? Not a huge fan personally.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Welcome back to the forum, love the wheels on your Scirocco :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm waiting on some parts from Techtonics Tuning and found out I need to order some more, so I started working on the cosmetics and degreasing.

I cleaned a ton of sand/dirt/years of leaked PS fluid out of the bay. Not sure exactly where the leak is but it was everywhere. I found out the cross member is cracked too so I will TIG that up and build a support bar as well.

The plan is to run a dual row civic radiator offset to the driver's side so the carbs have a straight shot in.

I baked some high heat paint on the valve cover after I acid etched it and masked off the ribs. I was happy how it turned out.

I then moved to touch up paint. The front and rear valence were rattle canned black. I'm sanding them down now to repaint. I repaired both front corners and the bumper. The paint isn't an exact match but it will blend. The whole car needs repainted though. It has a bondo repair that shrunk and cracked the paint. I'll get to that eventually, it still looks decent for now.

40 DCOE copies, all set up and waiting on mains/air correctors. The floats were way out on these. I would have bought real 45s but these came with the car. They were hooked to the CIS pump via a mr gasket dial regulator. Needless to say, they flooded the **** out of the motor. I have my same setup from my race car going in with a mallory pump and edelbrock regulator.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My kind of project. I’m working on color matching my valences right now. Prepping then painting them with color matched spraypaint. It’s never going to be a full restoration, just want it to look presentable and be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got some more work done the last day or two. I fitted a civic radiator which required clearancing the front mount and starter mounting tab (mine had an unused third tab). I had to get a hose coupler to make the lower rad hose and also cut/rewelded the lower rad outlet to make it a better angle.

I'll be using a front mounted thermostatic oil cooler to help with temps as well

I got the new water pump pulley mounted which required some shims to be cut and drilled to line it up. I also hooked up my super sweet temporary belt tensioner. Started replacing some cracked/aged wiring too.

The fuel system is all done too. I used an Edelbrock pump in the factory location.

Just waiting on a couple more parts and then I can mount the carbs and fire it up.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mocked up the carbs and linkage to check hood clearance. About an inch so good to go. Just need the front water outlet gasket to get here tomorrow and I can bolt everything down.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And finally running and driving. The accelerator pump circuit needs a bit of tweaking as it stumbles when you roll into the throttle when cruising and then takes off. Idle is really good and WOT is about 12.2-12.8:1 on the wideband so it's pretty darn close overall.

Either I don't know how to use the vortex or it's video embedding is garbage after playing with this for a while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.