VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running these yet? I see they are a little more dough than the standard ones but have a stiffer spring rate and supposedly shorter shock pistons with better valving for lower ride heights. Not bad for $400. Plenty of reviews for the MKIV crowd but haven't found anything here or in mk2. I need to replace my ancient, crusty, blown weitecs in my mk2 VR.....:beer:

http://www.racelandus.com/p-154-ultimo-coilover-kit-for-vw-golf-mk2-mk3-jetta-passat.aspx

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have them :p

Ride pretty good, they are slightly bouncy on slow rough roads, but have a fairly decent ride on the highway, only have had them on for a month now, better springrates shorter bodies. Plus they go lower:thumbup:
Not good at writeups, so just ask me questions and I'll answer

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
FV-QR

They have better dampers, and slightly higher spring rates.

They are still under dampened. If they put these dampers, with the stock Raceland rate springs, they would ride good.
Go figure that they didn't.

Still made by the same Chinese company. Just different dampers and some paint. They should ride better, but don't expect much.

·
Registered
946 Posts
They have better dampers, and slightly higher spring rates.

They are still under dampened. If they put these dampers, with the stock Raceland rate springs, they would ride good.
Go figure that they didn't.

Still made by the same Chinese company. Just different dampers and some paint. They should ride better, but don't expect much.
Buy these and swap the other springs in?

Tapatalkin'

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I had these in my mk4 not to long ago. I loved them for what they were compared to reg raceland, rokkors, Jom. Going to be purchasing a set for my mk3. Again, you get what you pay for so dont expect these to ride like kw's or h&r's etc

·
Registered
251 Posts
So these have shorter bodies. that will make for better ride quality when really low.

I purchased a set from raceland yesterday to replace the blown FK streetlines in my car. I think the 390lb spring rates in the front wold help in a vr6 car.I will post a review once I get them on.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
coils

if I run the Vr6 spring rates i should be fine as far as the bouncyness right? i only want to run the VR set up because i know how wagons like to start to sag in the back. plus i dont wanna be bouncy.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
if I run the Vr6 spring rates i should be fine as far as the bouncyness right? i only want to run the VR set up because i know how wagons like to start to sag in the back. plus i dont wanna be bouncy.
Although better than the original racelands in terms of ride quality, don't fool yourself into thinking that these won't ride like ****. Not trying to be rude, just honest. $400 coils will ride like $400 coils. You get what you pay for hombre :beer:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Although better than the original racelands in terms of ride quality, don't fool yourself into thinking that these won't ride like ****. Not trying to be rude, just honest. $400 coils will ride like $400 coils. You get what you pay for hombre

I hear ya! and thanks for the advice. just wanted to know because ihave always ran good suspensions but kept hearing alot about the raceland coils and with my DD i really wanted something smooth, not bouncy, but didn't want to spend alot of money either. I would rather have a smooth ride everyday tho.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Planning on buying them. Have Rokkors right now. I like the color on those and if it's supposed to be improved ride comfort that could be nice.
Bought Rokkors now buying other cheap coils... makes sense.. or you could have saved your money and bought some used H&R's

I recently had a customer bring Ultimo's in for install and they appeared to be the same cheap taiwanese suspsension in a different box and color scheme.

Buy nice, or buy twice. Or in the case of the guy I quoted. Buy nice or buy thrice.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
If the listed rates are actually correct, the Ultimos are MUCH better split front to rear then the base model.

They would help get the car more towards neutral then the base models.

But this is all in terms of handling, which 99.9% of the people reading this will destroy by lowering the car 5 mins after the coils are on the car anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.