VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serious Gains From A Serious Intake

42 Draft Designs has long avoided the crowded air intake marketplace. In order for an intake project to captivate our attention, the goal must be difficult to achieve. We set out to create a high quality intake with a clean look that truly delivers. Although the process was far from simple, the finished product exceeds our expectations with ease.

Our High-Flow Intake System combines an oversized air filter with an engineered velocity stack in an accurately shaped heatshield. Precision machining, fabrication, and finishing methods are used throughout. The result is an air intake system that delivers serious gains and looks the part.

To understand how it works, let’s take a look at the construction. Our velocity stack slides through the heatshield and attaches to the intake elbow. The velocity stack represents the heart of the intake, drawing air equally from all sides and accelerating it to the opening of the intake tubing. An oversized air filter properly fits the velocity stack, minimally restricting airflow. The heatshield represents the backbone of the intake, holding the components together, mounting to the engine bay, and shielding the filter from engine bay temperatures.

The entire system assembles and installs with perfection thanks to the extensive craftsmanship used to create each component. The velocity stack is CNC machined from 6061 aluminum. The heatshield is constructed from waterjet cut 304 stainless steel. Each piece is fitted and TIG welded on precision tooling to assure accurate fitment. The heatshield is finished with a satin black powdercoat and stainless steel hardware is used to assemble the components.

Installed in the engine bay, our intake appears oversized and robust. On the road, our intake unleashes power and sound. The diverter valve is audible and the sound created by the velocity stack can only be described as vicious. Substantial power gains can be felt throughout the power band with no loss of low-end torque.

We set out to create a serious air intake system and we're confident that we've succeeded. To learn more about our High-Flow Intake System, follow the tabs above.

Construction:

- CNC Machined 6061 Aluminum
- CNC Waterjet Cut 304 Stainless Steel
- Mandrel Bent 304 Stainless Steel Tubing
- TIG Welded Construction
- Silicone O-Ring & Gasket
- 100% Stainless Steel Hardware
- Satin Black Powdercoat Finish

Includes:

- Velocity Stack
- Intake Elbow
- Heatshield
- K&N Cone Filter
- SAI Filter
- SAI Filter Adaptor
- Mounting Hardware

For more information or to place an order, link below:
http://www.42draftdesigns.com/vw-mk7-golf-r-high-flow-intake-system/

·
Registered
187 Posts
Show me the dyno numbers to prove the HP gains from stock. I want proof before I purchase.
Agreed. I'd hold off launching the product until those numbers could be shown. Even better, include test results and graphs from the stock intake airflow and temperatures. Then do the same for the new one. Stats and figures that support something pretty are where it's at for me.

My 2 cents even though nobody asked for them! :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed. I'd hold off launching the product until those numbers could be shown. Even better, include test results and graphs from the stock intake airflow and temperatures. Then do the same for the new one. Stats and figures that support something pretty are where it's at for me.

My 2 cents even though nobody asked for them! :)

We completely understand the technical side and benefits of having solid proof/evidence of hp/tq gains. We have done multiple road tests with the design on our mk7 Golf R in stock trim with only the intake and there is beyond a noticeable difference in the mid to upper rpm ranges. The turbo spools faster and boost comes on a lot harder than stock (even though stock feels pretty impressive).
Dyno testing and data-log information is something we will try to have available in the near future. We wouldn't release anything that is pointless or is of no benefit to our customers. We put this intake through testing on 3 separate platforms (Golf 1.8,GTI & R) and were pleased with the results. Dyno'ing the R with our intake alone, then adding our Down-pipe, and finally full turbo-back will be happening very soon. We want to make sure we provide our customers with the facts! Hopefully we can have this information for the public relatively soon!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
i'm not liking it. The element is in the open and not covered!:thumbdown:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts