VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd post up sense I've seen a few threads asking about this.

Test fitted over the old rockers and they fit really well, so I'm just gonna cut out/grind any rust on the old rockers and give them a few coats of rust paint before I weld on the new ones. I did have to hammer the bottom of my rockers where the pinch welds are straight again after I dragged them over a few speed bumps.

Pics

· Registered
20,176 Posts
I need to do this on my Golf. Are these OEM replacement pieces with a part # that can be ordered? :)

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There aftermarket pieces, OEM were WAY to much $$$!

I'm considering keeping them black maybe some sort of textured paint?, but the car is getting painted soon so I'll probably color match em. Oh the paint is hot rod flatz midnight blue with textured bumpers and door mouldings. Thoughts on keeping rockers black?

I'll post up brand and part #'s 2moro.

Thanks for the reply's:beer:

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I just kinda mounting them over the old ones, not really the right way to install them but this way save lots of time and add some strength.

First thing is to remove the fender and rear door if your a 4door that is. Then I had to trim a little material off the new rockers, then clamp em and weld them at the top first then pull them in at the bottom and weld again.

Note: Remove all rust from old rockers before mounting the new ones! I brushed on **** loads of rust paint as well!

Not much of a DIY I know. I just wanted to show it's not as hard as I thought it was gonna be.:)

· Registered
7,627 Posts
Sherman Parts had them for like $26 a side, but I think they are double that now...probably cause a lot of people ordered them. I picked them up when they were cheap and may just end up selling them. I can't see your pics right now, but you should really cut off all of the old rockers instead of just mounting over top. If you mount on top of the old, I'd imagine they're going to stick out a bit and also there will be a nice space in between the backside of the new and old rocker for water to stay trapped in and rust out old and new unless you weld and seal the backsides of them too.

There was a guy who had a DIY that didn't even weld them...just used fusor body panel adhesive (108 or 108B). Just as good or stronger than welding, but it's not cheap stuff.

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It would have been quite a bit more work to cut out the old ones. Your right there is a little space between them at the bottom, but no where that water would be trapped.

What I did first was spray undercoat on the old rockers and the inside of the new ones. There all welded in now and fit great.:)

· Registered
9,880 Posts
i really need to seriously consider this, my rockers are ok with no rust damage but it's like spaghetti with all the f&cking speedbumps i beach and ignore. i covered it with sideskirts and now am afraid to look after the huge winter :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.