VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something cool I'd like to tell you. So recently I purchased a set of KW V2's , looking to change my suspension up. I started off by just doing the rears of the car. it's interesting, I posted an earlier thread;
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2161817
here, we discussed the issue of the center and rear of my car being significantly lighter that stock.
Anyways, now the front's stock "sport" suspension with eagle rs-a on the driver front, michelin mxm4 passanger front, and crappy continentals in the rear with my 16x7 steelies. (yeah, my wheel/tire setup is crap, i'm waiting on my rims) and the rear suspension is the KW's. Unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out what the springs rates are right now for the KW's, but the handling's very interesting. Of course, I get oversteer, but it's not like what I thought. In the past, my FWD oversteer experiences were, turn in, mid turn the oversteer kicks in, and during the exit, it would be very choppy as I try to catch it. However, when I drove the new miata and got oversteer, it was VERY smooth and very easy to catch. Similarly, my car now response the very same way as that miata. Yeah, the handling isn't as good, but the oversteer control is similar. Once it starts to slip in the rear, it's really easy to control.
Please, let me know, is it because I've gotten better since the last time I had oversteer in a FWD car, or is it the setup? Part of me is hesitant to put in the fronts because of the very exciting handling capabilities.
K
Special thanks to reflexgti!

· Registered
3,685 Posts
Re: New Setup, Easily Controllable Oversteer (SlowDalPangEe)

A good spring balance between front and rear will do the trick. Of course initiating the oversteer is a bit harder on a fwd car than a rwd car. Its sounds more like your car has a more neutral balance, or is it really oversteering?

· Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: New Setup, Easily Controllable Oversteer (rex_racer)

Quote, originally posted by rex_racer »
A good spring balance between front and rear will do the trick. Of course initiating the oversteer is a bit harder on a fwd car than a rwd car. Its sounds more like your car has a more neutral balance, or is it really oversteering?

it's oversteer for sure, unless countersteer a little bit is for neutral steer

K

· Registered
5,124 Posts

i personlay would never want an oversteering FWD car.. i would like it to rotate upon lift-off-throttle
but to oversteer upon corner entry... FWD not meant for that.

· Registered
3,164 Posts

I am glad for you that you decided to put the rear first and explore! It is great, isn't it?
I have very similar experience, for the last two months have been driving with the stock front and stronger rear. If it was not for the pitch that produces, I would love to keep it this way too, as it is a very fun car to drive. I also hesitate to install the fronts (delaying it with excuses) as the car is just so close to what a fun, but still safe car should be for the street. And as you said, you can make it step out at will, but you can also make it stay where you want it to. Basically both under- and over steer are very easy to induce.

· Registered
8,388 Posts
Re: New Setup, Easily Controllable Oversteer (pyce)

i found with my car that tires played a large roll in how smooth the lift-throtal over steer was. some tires just seem to glide along extremly smooth, others hesistate to slide then slide and then grip back up harshly. Maybe swap w/o someone elses tires on the car and see if its the same.

· Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: New Setup, Easily Controllable Oversteer (Banditt007)

Quote, originally posted by Banditt007 »
i found with my car that tires played a large roll in how smooth the lift-throtal over steer was. some tires just seem to glide along extremly smooth, others hesistate to slide then slide and then grip back up harshly. Maybe swap w/o someone elses tires on the car and see if its the same.

oh, that's an interesting point you brought up. I remember with my michelin pilot sport's, they gripped very well, but when they slip, they slip and it's choppy to catch. although kumho mx's weren't as grippy, they were very predictable and was a smooth transitional catch. One thing that I noticed, and could possibly be wrong, the excellent wet dry tires seem to have a choppy and harsh catch, where as excellent dry only tires seem to be smoother.
K

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.