VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was at the Subie dealer last week, I spied a new WRX in back with the hood wrap still on, etc. From a distance, I could see the foglight didn't match paint wise...then as I got up to it, the entire front bumper was "too white" compared to the rest of the car. The back bumper was the same way.

Is this common for Subie? The white BRZ they had there didn't look like this at all.

Huge pic so you can see what I mean. The red lines are on pieces that matched.

http://i50.tinypic.com/15r1vzt.jpg

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
That's pretty bad but like mentionned above, all the plastics are painted somewhere else. If you ever see a dark grey newer style prius or aqua new style sienna they're some of the worse ones out there..

At our shop We make it a point to point this out to customers who "never noticed that before" so they don't blame us for that later on...

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
I've noticed this with my 2008 Civic. The plastic bumpers are a different color, but not that extreme.

I remember hearing that if a car is damaged from shipping to the dealer, the dealer can fix anything less than 20% value of the car and doesn't have to claim it as damaged... I used to think this until this thread.

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
same. my OB is that pearl white and the bumpers look completely different.

·
Registered
35,213 Posts
Waw, no wonder I drive old cars.

I saw a 2004 Impala today and they didn't even clearcoat the door jambs. Cheap. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most of this pic is crap lighting though. In actual light, I bet its not that bad. I can only see the difference under certain lighting conditions.
Quite the opposite...the pics are being very kind. In person it was far worse.

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
Quite the opposite...the pics are being very kind. In person it was far worse.
Like Ive mentioned, my fiances OB is that pearl white and you can see the difference in shades but only under close inspection and the right lighting. Its normal on cars with that shade of white. If it were flat white, you probably wouldnt have noticed that. Having had to have fresh bumpers repainted, the process is never 100% and needs to be done perfectly to prevent discoloration, peeling, etc... These plastics arent meant to painted so its pretty tough, especially a color like that shade of white that is almost translucent and shiny in appearance.

Well the panel are not aligned properly , look at the line , its off a little bit , guess for most people its acceptable though
Eh, it looks like a normal, mass produced Impreza. The only difference I see is around the headlamp.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
The paint on the side-skirts and trunk lid wing don't quite match the body on my Alpine White M3, but I've always assumed the reason is that the paint is prepped differently and/or ages differently on plastic than metal.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Get a VW.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Damn- it, read Op's thread title so fast and expected to click on to pictures of the next WRX :mad: but anyway, yeah I noticed the same think looking at a '12 WRX at a dealer last week in WR blue, the fog light cover was a completely different shade of blue than the car. stuck out like a sore thumb. Did not notice it on the silver one though.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
screw the bumper, look at the hood! I think this was a dealer car that was probably in some sort of an accident and fixed by a less then compitent body shop. Or a dealer employee took it home for the night, hooned it into something and had a cheapo shop fix it before he returned it

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.