VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is quoted from what a local VW tech got from VWoA:
Quote »

As of April 15, 2003, VW has a new Tech Bulletin out concerning ECU/ECMs (engine control unit/engine control modules). There has been a chronic problem with cold start misfires on the 1.8Ts, regardless of engine code. After several tests, it has been determined that the ECU/ECM needs to be flashed and a new program (fuel map) applied. On this particular TSB (technical service bulletin) it specifically states, and I quote
"CAUTION! The following "Update - programming" (flashing) process may overwrite any "Tuned" ECM or TCM programming.
A "Tuned" ECM or TCM is described as any ECM or TCM altered so as to perform outside the normal parameters and specifications approved by Volkswagen Of America, INC.
If a particular ECM/ECU has been found to be "tuned", that owner is to be notified IN WRITING that the vehicle was found to have been tuned, and that any damage caused by the tuning of the ECM or TCM (including any adverse emissions consequences) will not be covered by Volkswagen Of America, INC. warranties.
For any repair requested by the owner under warranty or outside warranty that requires flashing, which will automatically wipe out the "Tuning" program, your Dealership should advise the owner of the above and get his/her written consent (see attached ECM/TCM Tuning form) {I dont have that form with me, nor have I seen it yet} to the flashing procedure.

If it's already been posted and I missed it - I'm a dumba$$ so ignore.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Re: New Tech Bulletin from VWoA concerning cold misfires (Gambit)

Well, I guess for those with Lock enabled ECU's this won't be that big a deal. But for those who have "Tuned" ECU's that are not locked then it's going to suck. From what I've heard most of the Chip Tuners will reprogram your ECU for Free (plus the cost to pul the ECU). I'm curious to see how soon the Chip Tuners will get the new Map from VW and offer it as an update once they do their magic to the files.
Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see

·
Registered
10,827 Posts

That's pretty clear what VWoA thinks of chip tuning.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Re: New Tech Bulletin from VWoA concerning cold misfires (rawlmark)

Quote, originally posted by rawlmark »
Well, I guess for those with Lock enabled ECU's this won't be that big a deal.

Letting your dealer know you've f'ed around with the ecu is no big deal???
I guess losing your warranty is also no big deal

dk

·
Registered
910 Posts
Re: New Tech Bulletin from VWoA concerning cold misfires (dknl)

Quote, originally posted by dknl »

Letting your dealer know you've f'ed around with the ecu is no big deal???
I guess losing your warranty is also no big deal

dk

Who said anything about telling the dealer that you've messed with your ECU?
Let me explain myself since it's obvious you don't understand. Most (not all) of the chip tuners who have "locking" built into their software also have a stock mode that the car can be put in. So, when taking their car to the dealership, the people with these options put their car into Stock Mode, and Lock their ECU.
If you don't understand what someone is saying, why not respond with a question instead of putting words into someone's mouth?
That way you can get other replies with more accurate information to anwer your question.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts

I just got my ECU replaced in an attempt to fix those cold start issues...hopefully the new map works. I'm not chipped, though...

·
Registered
3,240 Posts

Its pointless to get this done if you want to keep your chip, as the current chips are based on the old baseline fuel maps. AFAIK most tuners dont alter the maps for 0% throttle.

·
Registered
85 Posts

So will any tuned chip manufactures offer an upgrade to the stock program if you have it. so as not to wipe the other programs.

·
Registered
774 Posts

I actually think that this is a postive thing regarding chipping and warranties. Firstly they have acknowledged officially and publically that some people chip their cars. This is a positive step towards VWoA accepting it as a practice, and potentially in the long term, perhaps getting together with a respected tuner to offer a tuned version. (Yeah, we can dream).
Quote »
If a particular ECM/ECU has been found to be "tuned", that owner is to be notified IN WRITING that the vehicle was found to have been tuned, and that any damage caused by the tuning of the ECM or TCM (including any adverse emissions consequences) will not be covered by Volkswagen Of America, INC. warranties.

Nowhere here does it say that the entire vehicle warranty will be voided, or even the emissions warranty. What is says (reasonably so) is that damage caused by the tuning is not covered. In the recent past there have been reported cases of warranties being completely voided. This TSB gives a public statement that could be used to counter such actions. "Look, this doesn't say that you should void my warranty - it says that damage caused by my tuning is no longer covered. Fair enough, but why are you trying to void my bumper-bumper warranty?". This TSB is ammo for anyone's lawyer looking to fight complete voidings of warranty.
Quote »

For any repair requested by the owner under warranty or outside warranty that requires flashing, which will automatically wipe out the "Tuning" program, your Dealership should advise the owner of the above and get his/her written consent (see attached ECM/TCM Tuning form) {I dont have that form with me, nor have I seen it yet} to the flashing procedure.

Again, this is good. This states that if a dealership flashes your tuned ECM (either under warranty or your $$) without your written consent, then they have screwed up. By extension, given that this TSB (and other recent events) guarranty that all dealerships should be aware of chipped ECMs, if the dealership *replaces* your ECM because they couldn't flash it, then again they should get your written consent. This has happened to a few people in the past too. This TSB gives us a piece of paper to go and wave at the service manager if they f**k up.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Re: New Tech Bulletin from VWoA concerning cold misfires (genixia)

Genixia is completely right. I'm not going to rewrite what he said, but he is dead on. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
FYI, APR chips locked in stock mode will not allow a reflash to occur at least on EMCS1. I do think EMCS2 will allow it, but I could be wrong. Also if you are chipped why would you get this reflash? It wont affect your starts when in chipped mode anyway.

Modified by einsig at 12:38 PM 5-1-2003

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Re: New Tech Bulletin from VWoA concerning cold misfires (einsig)

if all aftermarket chips are based on the old fuel maps, I'm assuming the tuners (upsolute, APR, GIAC, ...) will be coming out with new software???

Modified by flanders at 1:04 PM 5-1-2003

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Re: New Tech Bulletin from VWoA concerning cold misfires (rawlmark)

Quote, originally posted by rawlmark »

Who said anything about telling the dealer that you've messed with your ECU?
Let me explain myself since it's obvious you don't understand. Most (not all) of the chip tuners who have "locking" built into their software also have a stock mode that the car can be put in. So, when taking their car to the dealership, the people with these options put their car into Stock Mode, and Lock their ECU.

what do you think will happen when the tech tries to update the protected chip????

The only socketed chip I know of that can do what you r saying is GIAC(ONLY the IBE not the socketed old version). APR as AFAIK doesn't allow stock chip to be updated by dealership EVEN if you switch/swap it back.
UP and REVO are another story....dealers flashing the stock programs is not a problem.....other than losing the chipped mode for UP.
dk

Modified by dknl at 10:30 AM 5-1-2003

Modified by dknl at 10:31 AM 5-1-2003

Modified by dknl at 10:37 AM 5-1-2003

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

I also believe the language in this tsb to be positive in favor of VWoA excepting their customer's desires to have tuned ecu's and having the option to leave it tuned (thus the written consent wording)
As far as telling your service adviser. I did. Stood write there and told him to his face, and told him that I was aware of the implications on the warranty issue. He said nothing and seemed more interested in what I knew about tuning the 1.8T.
Of course I didn't brake my transmission or blow my engine and then try to cry foul either.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: New Tech Bulletin from VWoA concerning cold misfires (slugII)

Don't forget this is NOT the TSB itself. This is a notification to the dealer mechanics of a TSB that is coming out in the future.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Re: New Tech Bulletin from VWoA concerning cold misfires (the flying grape!)

I was at the dealer a month or so ago for the coilpack recall. After they pulled my car around the tech came up to me and asked if I was chipped. I of course said "No". They said they tried to reflash my ECU a few times and it wouldn't work. I was in stock mode, not locked, just switched. He said ok. I turned the car off and put it back into chipped and left, unharmed. Hit 20 psi in front of the dealer.
So, it would seem they can't reflash the ecu at all. Kind of a chip give-away, but at least they looked the other way.

·
Registered
24,078 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dknl »

The only socketed chip I know of that can do what you r saying is GIAC(ONLY the IBE not the socketed old version).

If your stock module is in with the standard socketing method your chip can be flashed, if your chip is in stock mode with the IBE then you can be flashed. This pertains to GIAC only.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts

So if I will bring my car to a dealer for any kind of service or repairs, they would ask me if I want them to reflash my ECU, or they would just attempt to reflash it?

·
Banned
13,061 Posts

Kind of makes you wonder whether VW had an ulterior motive by instructing dealers to tell owners to use 87 octane to solve cold misfire issues (later attributed to faulty coil packs) http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif .
No aftermarket chip will run on 87 octane without engine damage.

Can you say smoke and mirrors?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.