VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to aircooled VW (and vw in general) and I'm going to look at a '75 westfalia. The ad says it has a "2.0 hydraulic race balance engine". My google skills have not been able to make sense of this. Anyone recognize what this is? Thanks!

·
Registered
72Beetle, 2013GLI, 2021Atlas
155 Posts
I've got an air-cooled but don't know much about Westie engines... and probably not may on vortex are going to either.
Might be worth posting the same question on TheSamba [dot] com

Hope you join the VW aircooled family soon!

·
Registered
4,960 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello, I'm new to aircooled VW (and vw in general) and I'm going to look at a '75 westfalia. The ad says it has a "2.0 hydraulic race balance engine". My google skills have not been able to make sense of this. Anyone recognize what this is? Thanks!

View attachment 107913
'75 should be a Fuel injected 1.8 giving you 70-72 HP when angry in a down slope. I know this, because I drive a '75 westy that was bought by my father, and he was angry once or twiice. Your exhaust is not stock. An it looks like your are missing the timing scale. That is all can honestly say from the picture, aside from I have a blue bosch coil too which is not original. I see no distributor and spark plug wires. Anything further, I will have to go and check on my bus. Soory, getting old...

·
Registered
8 Posts
That’s a type 4 engine with after market exhaust. The intake manifolds and carb/carbs are not on it in that picture. The spark plug/coil wires are also not on it. Hydraulic is in reference to the hydraulic rockers which don’t need adjusted in the regular like normal old air cooled did. For air cooled engines it’s a killer engine. The rage has been to replace that with a Subaru engine though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts