VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello vortex Germany,

I just moved here from the states, and sadly had to get rid of my 01 gti. But happily now I have a 01 A3! I'm not sure how active this section of the forum is, but it seems to be more active than other German + English forums so I would be grateful for some advice regarding mods.

I am needing to renew my front breaks, and want to do the 288mm to 312mm upgrade. First of all, is this even legal to do, all these regulations regarding TUV have me scared they will fail my car come inspection time?

For those unfamiliar, I will have to upgrade the carriers from the 312mm breaks and then of course the bigger 312 discs from a TT or S3.

How can I be sure the parts I am buying will come with the approved TUV paperwork? It doesn't seem like standard breaks for a TT would come with any paperwork when I order them from German parts site, am I correct in that assumption?

The discs I would probably go for are just standard vented 312's made by Bosch. Any alternative suggestions would be welcome.

Now for break pads. There are many threads on the vortex about awesome pads, some of these seem to be American manufactures and not directly available here in Germany. Any recommendations on a brand? And again, how will I know these come with TUV cert papers?

And lastly, are there any good website here in Germany or the EU that offer TUV certified parts? I have found a few online parts website, but they have a very limited selection and only have brands that i'm not at all familiar with.

I will also go through the list of car parts websites listed here on the forum, but it has been a long time since I went through that list as I just used ECS tuning when I was in the states.

Thanks for the help, I need it...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I haven't heard anything about needing TUV paperwork for mods but that doesn't mean it's not a thing. One thing you could do to find places to get parts is by going to shows and asking people that have mods. Another place you can go is the Facebook page. Vortex Germany dubs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was my understanding that everything you put on your car that isn't stock is considered a mod and either need proper paper work from that comes either with the item that is TUV certified or you have to go to a TUV center after modification and have them look at it and approve it?? Am I incorrect? When I bought my car the previous owner put larger wheels and better tired on, and he gave me the certification paperwork from them... Any clarification as to when certification or TUV approve would be great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.